• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2017 deer season.

ANYFISH2

Deer bag limits were liberalized a bit thia year here in central MN this year.

At least intensive harvest was changed to 3 deer instead of 5.

You can see your permit areas limits by clicking on your permit area on the DNR's interactive map on thier site.

New regs are up! There is some suprises in there.

Take a close look at the expanded feeding ban area and rules!   if you use esterous scents, you can no longer! in the far SE.

4 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

New regs are up! There is some suprises in there.

Take a close look at the expanded feeding ban area and rules!   if you use esterous scents, you can no longer! in the far SE.

What is the reasoning behind esterous scents I wonder?

Do they think its going to attract and hold dozens of deer in one area and they are all going to get cwd?

I'm a little confused, this will be my first season deer hunting in Minnesota. Are the zone specific limits for the gun season or archery as well? I'm only going to bowhunt so in zone 223 for example it says 1 deer either sex. Does that mean I'm only allowed 1 even if I bowhunt then I can't hunt anymore in that whole zone? That would suck, I scouted a lot of great spots in that area. Or am I allowed to take my state limit of 5 deer all from the same zone only if I do so by bowhunting? 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

1 deer in 223 but that counts as your buck tag. 225 227 you can tag a doe with a bonus tag

11 hours ago, TNtoMN_HuntFish said:

I'm a little confused, this will be my first season deer hunting in Minnesota. Are the zone specific limits for the gun season or archery as well? I'm only going to bowhunt so in zone 223 for example it says 1 deer either sex. Does that mean I'm only allowed 1 even if I bowhunt then I can't hunt anymore in that whole zone? That would suck, I scouted a lot of great spots in that area. Or am I allowed to take my state limit of 5 deer all from the same zone only if I do so by bowhunting? 

You can only take 1 deer from that zone in order to get another deer you would have to move to a diffrent zone that isnt a 1 deer limit or hunters choice.

So if you shoot a deer in 223 you can move to say zone 601 and shoot as many does as you want

Also if you shoot a doe in 223 with your bow it burns your main tag so you couldn't go to a different area and shoot a buck with your bow

Don't quote me on this because I never had the situation as I only shoot bucks with my bow but I believe you could shoot a does in 223 burn your main tag then when gun season opens you could purchase a firearm tag and go to say 601 and shoot a buck with your shotgun again I am not entirely clear on this one. 

Did I tell you about that public land place by your house? It is worth scouting as it is 601 and unlimited antlerless permits also 601 zone extends to nov 26th I believe this year

the only way you would be able to shoot 5 deer is if you hunted zone 601 or zone 603

8 hours ago, ZachD said:

Did I tell you about that public land place by your house? It is worth scouting as it is 601 and unlimited antlerless permits also 601 zone extends to nov 26th I believe this year

Thanks for the clarification and yes you did. I've been a few times in the Spring to scout and found a couple spots but I really worry about traffic from all the recreational users screwing up a deer hunt. I figure an afternoon hunt wouldn't even be worth the effort but mornings may not be too bad during bow season. 

I even found a pheasant feather in one of the fields!