• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Choosing a motor

bucketmouth64

Question

I'm thinking of buying a new boat (Lund 1875 Pro V bass), my choices of Mercury motors, 115 4S, 150 4s, 175 optimax, 200 optimax, 200 verado (L4). I've eliminated the 115, I don't believe I really need the 200 hp (due to cost possibly). So I'm wondering what are some opinions on the 150 4S or the 175 Optimax, which would be a better choice. I haven't ruled out the 200 totally, depends on the final price with the options. One opinion told me to go with the 150 4 stroke, great motor, Mercury has vastly improved the motor from when it first came out.

14 answers to this question

Don't even look at anything but a 4 stroke.  Loud and smelly. I see them on the water and think to my self "What???" So now you are down to 150 4S and Verado.  I have a 200 Verado (L4) on a Pro V 1875 and love it.  Had a 150 on an 1800 Pro V  which I liked very much but but there is a step up in the performance having a supercharger.   Nor sure what people are looking for with the 6 cyl 200 Verado.  My Verado is super quiet at idling.  Super throttle response when you push it down.  I am sure you would be happy with the 150 as well but there is a difference.  HAVE FUN!!!

I have a 150 4S on a  Lund 1800 Tyee.  Plenty of power and speed for me.  Have hit 50 with the boat with a light load but 45 is no problem whatever the load.  It will handle a 175 but boat dealer said it would only gain 2mph and overall performance about equal.  No brainer for the price difference.

Just was out with a neighbor with a 150 4 stroke merc.  Pretty nice motor.  And the smartwhatever gauge was petty cool.  Nice and quiet and efficient. 

The 150 Suzuki is a pretty nice motor also. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe I'll be going with the 150 hp. My next question is trolling motor, 24/36 volt? I have a 24 volt now with a MK maxxum. I would like to get the MK Ultrex, but that has a 80lb thrust and the 36 volt comes at 112 lb. Is there a noticeable difference between the two? I noticed they come in ipilot and ipilot link. What's the difference? Not sure if I would utilize ipilot since I don't walleye fish. I use the trolling motor a lot while fishing.

I'd go with 112 if you have the room more power and I believe last longer on the water. I pilot is worth it. Spot lock to fan cast an area or to stay outside the dock that you just got broke off of are two benifits. I pilot link links up with your hummingbird unit if that's what you have for a depth finder. Let's you follow depth contours. Good luck with the purchases 

I have my boat on order, won't be ready until end of September or early October, so it's going straight to storage until spring. I was wondering how often any of you use I-pilot link for bass fishing? Still contemplating between Ultrex I-pilot or the I-pilot link.  

Remember ipilot link only works with Humminbird electronics.  You probably already knew that, but thought I would mention it.  

If Humminbird was my electronics, and I was spending all that money on boat etc, I think I would go with link.  Can do a variety of cool stuff. 

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Remember ipilot link only works with Humminbird electronics.  You probably already knew that, but thought I would mention it.  

If Humminbird was my electronics, and I was spending all that money on boat etc, I think I would go with link.  Can do a variety of cool stuff. 

Yup, I'm getting the Helix 10 bow sonar gps and console si/di.

Then I think I might well go with the link.   What's another 300 bucks? 

A buddy of mine on Vermilion rigged up his ultrex with an external transducer and a spring reel to manage the cable so he could have di and si on his trolling motor (at least DI for sure) which the built in transducer won't do.  Really works slick.   It used a deal like guys have to hang keys from their belt.  

Do you use a transom saver for the motor?  The 150 hp 4-stroke is biggest motor I've had, coming from a 40 hp.  I know it's a personal decision and I've seen plenty boats going down the road without one. I don't know what to think with this size motor.  I'm leaning toward getting one so there isn't so much pressure on the transom.  If you don't use one what position do you put the motor while traveling?  

A lot of people have switched from a transom saver to a hydraulic wedge.  It smaller, easier to use, and takes up a lot less space.  The mechanic talked me into one 3 years ago when I bought my bought and I had used a transom saver for 15 years on my previous boat.

• Thumbs Up 1

i got a 40 hp merc on a 17'6'' lowe roughneck. motor stops at the length of the transom saver never had a problem. i asked my mechanic about it . he said dont change a thing. its solid. my two cents.

tear it  up...fish face wise

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, gimruis said:

A lot of people have switched from a transom saver to a hydraulic wedge.  It smaller, easier to use, and takes up a lot less space.  The mechanic talked me into one 3 years ago when I bought my bought and I had used a transom saver for 15 years on my previous boat.

I'll have to check this out. Never heard of hydraulic wedge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its just a hardened piece of rubber/plastic that slides onto the hydraulic bar when you raise the outboard to a certain height.  Google "My Wedge" or "Hydraulic Outboard Wedge" and you'll find it.