• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyfish family vacation 2017.

Today was our first day of the 4th annual family vacation.

Most of the day consisted of getting our cabin arranged and unpacked.  For the most part, it was uneventful.

Isaac and I were the only ones to hit the lake this evening to start the search for our fish this week.

The fishing started slow, and slowly ramped up to pretty good toward sun down.  Isaac and I ended up boating 3 walleye 15" to 16", 1 northern at 30", and caught a decent number of bluegill and pumpkinseed.  keeping 6 sunfish and 2 walleye for breakfast.  

On the way home the outboard went kapoot, so i now have a project for tomorrow.

We also ended up with one super excited boy, landing his first "trophy" bluegill.

He measured up at 10.25" and weighing in at hefty 1 lb 4oz.  He has now beat my own personal best for wieght.  

darn it wont let me upload pics!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Great times and a great gill congrats

7/16 Day 2.

Today the kids made froth of the lake paddling the canoes and paddle boat.  Legs and arms got a good work.

The father in law(Gordy) and I tore apart the carb on my outboard and found some water in the bowl that we think was the problem.  Put it back together and she fired up and ran quite nicely.

Most of the afternoon consisted of the game room at the lodge schooling the boy in pool.  At least there one person I can beat.

Then the evening fishing trip started.  Being breezy all day we intended to bobber fish a cabbage bed we catch a mixed bag at.  Isaac and I get to the spot first, and the breeze seemed more manageable there do we start trolling lindys.  Gordy, Amanda, and my god daughter Ava anchor up on the cabbage.  Within minutes Isaac pulls in what would be our only walleye of day, a nice 16" fish.  Isaac and I would then struggle the rest of the night.  Meanwhile, Gordys' boat caught a ok number of sunfish and rockbass throughout the evening. We are struggling to catch many sunfish under 9" mark to keep for meals so a few larger fish were kept today.  We kept 6 more and a walleye, should be enough for a nice side for lunch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1/17 day 3

Monday was much like the day before.  

Started the morning off with small thunderstorm.  We always enjoy listening and watching a thunderstorm while up here!

After the storm passed, the warm sticky day began.  Again, the kids and wife spend most of the day lathering on sunscreen and floating around in the flat calm lake.

The father in law and got busy tearing down my carburetor one more time. This time draining all fuel and lines and discarding my tank of fuel.  As we noticed a good deal water in the fuel filter and bowl.  Clearly I had left vent open and rain water had infiltrated my gas can.  Getting pretty good tearing down this carb, thats a plus!

About 6 pm it was time to go on the search for fish to catch.  Fishing started off good with large bluegills willing to bite.  That ended shortly through, only lasting till about 7pm.  Then the only fish willing to bite was rockbass and an occasional pike.  This weeks toughest day for sure.

We then returned to a fridge that spotted cooling.  After transferring food another cool spot, it was the end to day 3.

1/18 Day 4

Day for was exploration Day for the family.  Amanda, the kids, and my mother in law spent a good portion of the hanging out in town.  Shopping and visiting a few of the local attractions.

The father in law and myself decided to pull his boat and go explore a near by lake we have been thinking about.  This would give us s little change of pace.

Fishing actually exceeded our expectations, especially for starting in the early afternoon. Unsure where to start we motored around watching the graph if an area I thought might be good.  after a short while we noticed most marks showed themselves in 18-21 ft on steep breaks.  With the winds blowing we decided to try anchor on top and let the wind drift us over the and bobber fish.  This began to seem unproductive after about 45 mins with no bites, yet we were marking fish.  Out of bordem I decided to raise up 5 ft and cast as far as i could to the top of the break (15ft).  The first 3 casts produced 3 walleyes 15"-18". The bobber never settled before they went down!  The walleyes them slowed but the perch bit really picked up.  Most perch where 9" but a few went as big as 11".  

After that spot slowed we hit a few similar spots until we settled on a spot bit deeper but with lots of marks.  This spot would give us pretty non stop action till dark.  With different species rotating through.

By the end of the day we caught:

12 walleyes ranging from 11"-21".

5 Pike 20"-30" and one really big one that bit a 10" perch as it was being reeled in by the FIL.

Countless Perch, not many under 9"or over 10".

And a few dozen bluegills 7.5"-10".

Service here is giving me fits with photos. Hope to post some when i get home this weekend

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Fun times

7/19 Day 5

Day 5 was spent celebrating my Isaacs 11th birthday!  Lots of cake and catering to him.  The exciting typical swimmimg and paddling ruled the day.  Grandma and grandpa DeZurik came up to celebrate his birthday as well.  Always nice to get both sets of grandparents together at the same time.

Fishing continued slow even more.  Still a successful night though.

The birthday boy conceded his seat in the boat so grandma and grandpa cpuld join me for the evening fish trip.  My folks in all truth haven't been fishing for 2 years or more.  It was just nice to get them in the boat.  

I struggled as the acting to put them on a consistent bite.  Mom as able to scratch out the biggest walleye at 17".  Dad brought home the honors of most fish caught landing a 14" and 15" walleye, 8.5" bluegill, and 2 perch as big aa his leech! I mustered up 1 small pumpkinseed.

• Thumbs Up 1

7/20 day 6

Today was was the feast day. Spending most of the day hanging on shore visiting and eating the weeks catch of fish for lunch and burgers and salads for supper.  Some water time for the kids and the wife.  Avas' parents also drive up to spend the evening around the fire.  It was quite the family affair.

Fishing today was targeted towards finding the big panfish for my folks to catch.  This plan was an utter failure.  Both boats out this evening and no one could find the panfish!  Frustrating to say the least.

I decided late in the evening to go back after walleyes to try and put the folks on some fish.  I ended up boating only 1 northern 20", Dad landed a 18", 17", and 14" walleye, while mom boated a 14" walleye, and 2, 8" bluegills.  Not bad for a fall back plan the last hour and a half.

7/21 day 7

Today was a day to say goodby to My folks and the borther and sister inlaw.  As well as to start to sad action of packing up and being ready for our trip back home early the next morning.

Our late afternoon was interupted by a nice strong thunderstorm that would rattle cabins, dump a ton rain, and light a couple of trees on fire around the lake from lightning strikes!  Also leaving us without power for 7 hrs.  It was a good storm.

With the kids off to a movie, and the in laws on shore with boat.  It was just me off to lake for one last fishing outing after the storm.  With only a little over an hour fish i hit our standard walleye spot.  With old faithful providing me with two small walleyes 12" and 14".  The darkness came and fishing for the week was over.