• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dry Ice????

HunterFisher11

Question

So going camping for a week and is always a pain to keep ice... So was thinking of taking my big cooler and put some dry ice in it and fill the rest up with ice so then could just pull it from there when I need more ice on the other coolers. Any one have ever tried this and if so how well did it work???

1 answer to this question

We have done it many times on camping trips.  It works well.  The key to keeping dry ice or any ice for that matter is to not open the cooler.  Set up one cooler that acts as your refrigerator and leave the other cooler(s) closed until you have no choice to get something out of them.  Dry ice is pretty expensive even if you buy it from a place like Continental Carbonics.  The price per pound starts getting better once you are buying 50+ lbs.

A better investment maybe a high end roto-molded cooler like an RTIC or Yeti.  They keep ice for many days and you still have the cooler when the trip is over.

If you go the dry ice route, make sure you read up on handling it.  You can damage your skin if you are touching it without gloves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      I think electric items have their places, I just don't think large commercial jobs are going to be able to work well with them. Can't see a logging crew out in the woods all day changing batteries!  
    • gimruis
      I agree on the choices.   I didn't mean to say that a battery auger was better or greener or whatever.  I could care less about that.   It just seems that "most" ice anglers have made a switch to a battery auger in recent years.  That's all I was saying.  I know about a dozen people who regularly ice fish and they all have battery augers now.  I bet if you conducted a survey of all ice anglers, the majority would answer that they use a battery powered auger.
    • Kettle
      Best weed eater I've ever run with great longevity is Echo, I'd check them out
    • Dash 1
      Hey government,  Just give us choices. I don’t care what people use as long as as it works for you. I’m needing a new weed eater. Plan on a Stihl FS 40 easy start. I’m done with the cheaper brands. Just don’t last long enough.  Probably true with the Stormy Daniels of the world as well. Cheaper don’t last long enough 🤭
    • SkunkedAgain
      If you turn on a movie they survive the 20min ride just fine. After many controlled experiments, I've found that they survive much better if you show "Finding Nemo" instead of "Jaws."
    • PSU
      I have never had a challenge mbeyer
    • mbeyer
      what does the ride from Virginia to the lake do to the bait.....survive OK?
    • Mike89
      you make it so fun!!!!    😁
    • CigarGuy
      Quick update: Lucky 7 now has rainbows, fatheads, crappie and light pike in stock. If I remember correctly, scoop of rainbows was $8.99.  Stopped at L&M in Virginia. Rainbows $6.99, fatheads and crappie minnows (scoop) $3.99. I was billed $6.99 dozen for rainbows, but was given a healthy scoop!
    • smurfy
      🤣 you da friggin grammar police!🤔😒🤣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.