Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Knowknot

Awful quiet....

17 posts in this topic

It sure is awful quiet on this site, everybody must be out punishing the crappie I guess..

do some posts and reports and liven it up :):) 

1 person likes this

I have not found big numbers of crappies yet, found lots of gills with a few crappies mixed in super shallow bays with muddy bottom and cattails around.....on a Faribault area lake. Anybody finding a decent crappie bite?

Took a roadtrip out there this past weekend to hit some likely shorespots I have been cyberscouting for. Weather was nice. Wish the catching was as nice too, but got to wet a line so can't complain. Hit all the typical spots for shore panfish in the Madison Lake area, Jefferson chain, and Elysian. Caught no crappies. A couple of bluegills and bass hit the minnows under floats, but not what we were looking for. Saw some fellas pull up a crappie or two on jigs, but that was it. Not hot and heavy yet.

Boat is still in storage so I can't report anything yet.  Maybe this weekend.

Try the shorelines with dark bottoms. Having good luck with jigs and twister tails in shallow, even after the cold night Tuesday.

Tryed french lake today, went shallow trying for crappies but couldn't find anything in 5 to 12ft of water, marked fish out deeper but couldn't fish them good with the wind, I think the crappies might be out deep still with the water temp in the low 50s 

finding them in 3 to 4 foot of water in a few spots around here. feeding time. dark bottoms, even where lilly pads are growing. 

1 person likes this

Billy G,

Try the bay in the center of the south shore of French in the late afternoon/evening. Dark shallow bottom, reeds around the edges, water one to two feet deep. Mid day the crappies will likely be at the first break just outside of the bay. Used to fish French for crappies in the early spring years back and always did good in and around that bay. Good luck, have fun.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the tip Eastwind! Might have to try it sometime this week if time and weather allows

Found a half dozen good size crappies on Clear Lake in Waseca Sunday.  Just off the bottom in 8 feet of water, minnows under bobbers.  Water temp was 58 on the east side of the lake, which was a full degree above the rest of the lake.

That sounds encouraging. Did you notice all the dead carp on shore? I wonder what's up with that, a virus or something maybe?

virus is what they got.  was why all the eagals were here this spring.

Starting to look like maby the sunnies won't be spawning until around or right before opener, hopefully some warm weather could change that.

Well opener on cannon wasn't like last year for us and others I talked to, still managed to get a few in the live well though.

1 person likes this

That sounds promising. Hope to get out this week after the big rush is over...

Went out on cannon for a couple hours tonight and tried lindy rigging with a leach at a few spots and had no luck finding any walleyes, just cought one largemouth.