• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First time sturgeon fishing

I have a couple questions, what type and lb. line should I use on my reel. I have read a big variation in lbs. and type, as an example 30 lb mono and up to 60 lb braided. If you give me your suggestion would you tell me why so I can learn more about fishing for sturgeon? I have read mostly people use 18 inch leaders. What type and lb. of line would you suggest.  Thanks for any information

JohnnyO

I would use 20-30 lb mono if using a spinning rod/reel. 

I'd use 80-100 lb braid on a baitcaster. 60 at a bare minimum. 

They are not line shy and can weigh well over 100 lbs. No explanation needed. Why go lighter?

On the rainy I prefer to use a 3-6" leader. I don't like my bait swaying all over in the current. I found this out when I accidentally cut an unusually short leader and had it on one and an 18" on the other. The short leader caught 4 fish before the long one caught any. I switch both to 3-6" and was catching fish on both. 

Ditto the short leader!  6 inches is perfect, otherwise it just sways around above their heads.

There is no reason for using a mono leader, it just creates a week spot. 

We run 80 to 100 lb braid.  Typically Suffix or Power Pro.

I also like having the heavy gear so I can fight back but it's easy to pull the hook out of their mouth if you try to horse them too much.  Something has to give with all the heavy tackle and a big fish not budging and it's usually the fish's mouth.  So play 'em easy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe in putting as much pressure on these fish as you possibly can. After the initial hook up you need to wear down the big fish. I think that the really big ones can "rest" facing up stream right under the boat. They are the strongest fighting fish I have ever tangled with.

I use heavy muskie gear. 80 and 100 lb braid with tight drags.