Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Rocky

When to go

5 posts in this topic

For you rainy river veterans, I can only go up once so it is better to go right when the landings open or is it better to wait till towards the end of the season

This is always the million fish question!

Here is my take, i dont or cant always follow my own opinion sometimes.

Over the years it seams like 7-14 days after the ice clears the Frontier access the little fork tributary busts loose and a dirty river develops.  Unfortunately, that can happen before the river sees a good push of lake walleyes.  However, very good fishing will still happen in that time frame.  If the river doesnt muddy, the closer to april 14 the better.

We have had great days in as early as March 24th all the way through the end in looking back.

I do believe the river will be very good from now till muddied due to the good run of walleyes into the river this past fall.  From my experience, the better the fall run the better it is early in the spring.  It believe many of the fall walleyes over winter in the river, increasing the number of spring walleye to catch early.

I hope to be able to get up thier before the 8th.  Maybe next weekend.

Anyfish2 you nailed it. 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. The little fork is the key. I want to wait but good fishing now is better than bad fishing if little fork lets loose and hope for it to clear back up b4 april 14th. IDK if anyone close to Ifalls has been over to look at little fork.

1 person likes this

It always a guessing game, i have gambled and been wrong a number times.

I have seen the river get dirty from runoff and the fishing slow considerably, clear and get good again.

I have never seen the little fork blow and MUDDY the river, clear and be good before the end of the season.  2010 or 2012 the little fork went out without creating "muddy" river and fishing continued to be great throughout the season.  Not sure that has happened any other time than that though.

Good luck all.

My experience last year was the forks let go and after things cleared, we had success... Took about 12days to clear up.

1 person likes this