Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Essoxlucious

Far North Arm Rainy Lake

12 posts in this topic

Making our first trip to the North Arm in mid-July. Going to Cascades Camp at the Devils Cascade, north of Little Canoe area. Would like to network with anyone out there to get detailed info. Most interested in smallmouth but also walleyes. I have a good map showing Manitou Sound, Little Canoe, Ash Bay, Paddy Bay etc.

Thanks for any help.

That is a good part of the lake to be in.  Not far to all the good fishing.

I used to stay in Little Canoe camp when it was running back years ago, now I stay at Labelles and have to run 15 miles each way..........

Bass should be on the reefs(6-10 FOW) around islands and in front of coves.  I would throw a topwater, senko.  If it were windy a trap or grub.  At least that is where I would start.  

Walleye will be on the deeper reefs(12-16 FOW), jig head with a leech is what I would throw, but I am not a walleye expert.

Thanks for the info. Not expecting much on the accommodations but we appear to be fairly remote. 

You do not need live bait to catch eyes where you will be fishing.  A 1/8 oz jig with 3 to 4" plastics will catch eyes and smalljaws.  Just let those beautiful brown fish go so they can make babies.  The smalljaws are on bed while you are there.  Enjoy!

Given the cool spring so far, what would you expect the smallmouth and walleyes to be locating in mid-July?

Wondering if there could be some left over smallie spawning that late.

Rainy is such a big body of water, it would possible a few would be on the bed but not many. I'm headed up to the far north arm June 2nd and hope no bass are on the bed. We have done the best when they are pre-spawn and on a feeding frenzy. It looks like there is some warmer weather on the way

Dale,

Looking back at your first post, I see you will be in the North Arm mid July.  Smallmouth bedding normally starts around the first week in June so would expect the bass to be post spawn by mid July.  You should find them 5-20 FOW depending on bait location, weather, and time of day.  Walleyes are transitioning to mid lake humps but some are still shallow and can be caught while fishing for bass.  The pilke will find you wherever you are.  Enjoy.

Thanks guys for the informative replies. Can you also comment on the walleye limits?

10 hours ago, Dale S said:

Thanks guys for the informative replies. Can you also comment on the walleye limits?

You can keep one Walleye 13.8- 17.7 a day. With the conservation licence you can take 2 fish out with only one over 27.6. and with a sportsman licences you can take out 4 with only one over 27.6. 

Good evening hooked up

as a non resident you are allowed one walleye between the sizes mentioned per day no matter what license you posses. As others have stated, the smallness should be off their beds and the walleyes will be transitioning to the deep water reefs. Wind blown points or current are always good places to start.

As mentioned a few weeks ago, we are making our first trip to the North Arm in mid-July. Going to Cascades Camp at the Devils Cascade, north of Little Canoe area.Fishing for smallmouth and walleyes.  Looking for color suggestions for:

Crankbaits

Jigs/plastics

Bottom bouncers/spinners

Thanks

Color is less important than presentation.  Having said that, I like Smelt Color for plastics and you can't go wrong with gold for spinners.

Smallmouth started spawning three days ago.