Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

mbeyer

End of May.middle of June-what's the fishing differences?

7 posts in this topic

We've been visiting Vermilion the last week of May for many years. We chase wall eyes and smallmouth and do a pretty good job with both at that time. It looks like we'll one two weeks later and wonder what the differences will be? Will two weeks change things?

Eyes deeper?Mayfies? Smallmouth shallower? Top water?

i can't say I've ever been there in June. Is it a good fishing month?

All depends on the weather. Water temps, water levels, clarity all play a factor in the underwater environment. Every year is different.

Sorry for the poorly  written question. Yep, we can assume weather will be the major factor. Howabout this.....does the fishing historically get better or worse as June progresses?

I have never fished Vermillion, so here is my general observation.  Mid June is often the best time in the spring to fish.  Fish are very active at that time.  In May, the water often is still too cold.

I have always done better for walleyes in mid-June then I have done at the end of May.

Better and more stable weather at that time also!

By mid-June I am using both minnows and crawlers on my bait rigs.

Cliff

1 person likes this

I've been going to Ely for Memorial weekend the last 3 years, and can't catch smallies to save my life! I'm in Grand Marais 2 weeks after that, and the bass are practically jumping in the boat! So whatever the temp differences are in that time frame, make a huge difference. I would imagine the same would hold true for walleyes as well. HOWEVER!!! In mid June, you run the risk of hitting the infamous mayfly hatch :eek:

Not much chance of hitting the main May fly hatch on Vermilion in Mid June. Almost always the main May fly hatch is the last week of June and the first week of July.

Cliff