Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Roscoe010

Has anyone had luck for any species fishing the mine lakes around Crosby?  I'll be giving it a shot on Friday.  Thanks!!

ZachD

Bryan P posted a video of him after some rainbow trout around there check it out here is the link

knoppers
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, Roscoe010 said:

Has anyone had luck for any species fishing the mine lakes around Crosby?  I'll be giving it a shot on Friday.  Thanks!!

give a report, good or bad, thanks in advance!

Roscoe010

A buddy and I fished one of the pits on January 27.  We had about a foot of ice and it was cracking like crazy all day.  Pretty warm day, so we didn't set up the portable.  After trying a few different jigs and spoons we finally started catching some trout.  It was a blast!  We tipped our lures with waxies and maggots, and both worked well, but I prefer waxies.  By the end of the day, we caught 13 rainbows and probably lost another half-dozen.  They were litterally all over the water column, from 15 feet under the ice to deeper than 90 feet.  We were in about 125 FOW, so after 60 feet with the lure I used my Vexilar couldn't read it very well since it was pretty small.  We brought some trout home for dinner and they tasted excellent.  I am ready to go back up there for another trip!

knoppers

thanks for the report, sounds like you had a great time, and yes a fresh trout dinner is always good.

fish_hunt_guy

I was out there Wednesday and couldn't buy a fish. I fished two different pits and tried depths from 30 feet to 130 feet and everything in between. Marked one fish but couldn't get my lure to it in time. Second time ive tried in as many years and both times I got skunked. Using a small shiny spoon with treble hook tipped with waxies. Help! 

JBMasterAngler

Will be camping at cuyuna on memorial weekend. Never been there before, pretty excited to check it out. Planning on hitting the 4 major pits. Anyone been there yet, since opener? Any bass/pike reports?

JBMasterAngler

Didn't do very well on the pit lakes. Fished Portsmouth, Huntington, and Pennington. Only caught 4 trout total. A few bass and sunnies. Were nice scenic lakes. Kids had a fun time camping, and overall everything else went great, fish just didn't want to cooperate. 

Roscoe010

Has anyone checked the ice conditions recently?  I checked a couple pits on December 19, and it appeared that there was a few inches on some, but others looked pretty dangerous.  

Roscoe010

Did any of you check out the pits for winter trout opener last weekend?

Thanks!

Wanderer

@Roscoe010

I wanted to head that way yesterday but my fishing partner didn’t have that kind of time.  If I get there this weekend, I’ll let you know.

Or hopefully someone else knows and will reply.

Roscoe010

Hi Wanderer,

I am going up this weekend too.  Glad the weather will be warm! I will try a different pit this time, but had good luck last year.  I hope the fish will be active and hungry.