• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chipper Blade for Eskimo

wahoo

I am using a wheel house this year with typical round holes with catch covers in floor.  In past I used a homemade permanent with large holes in each corner--square.  It was easy to chisel out the large holes much like you do in a spearing house.

On the new house I find it a pain to open the drilled round hole every day with my chisel.  Opening ain't bad, widening them is.

I have an older--10 years at least, 8"  eskimo gas auger that runs and cuts terrific.  But, know it may jam in reopening holes.  Is there a chipper, think that is what I need, that can be used on Eskimo without extensive modifications.

Thank you for any help.

I'm not sure which direction an Eskimo rotates but if Eskimo doesn't have one I'm sure you could adapt either a Strikemaster or Jiffy drill( they turn opposite directions). Chippers do a much better job of reopening holes. 

Strikemasters turn the same way as a Eskimo I believe. Jiffys are opposite. Eskimo does not make a chipper if I remember right.

Edited by Fishin machine

I didn't see a chipper on their website(weird/hard to read website) either so I would recommend just try attaching a friends drill on your head. You must know someone with a strikemaster. You might try posting this on the other side of HSO too to see what others have done. I think it gets a little more traffic.

Edited by Hawg

4 minutes ago, Hawg said:

I didn't see a chipper on their website(weird/hard to read website) either so I would recommend just try attaching a friends drill on your head. You must know someone with a strikemaster. You might try posting this on the other side of HSO too to see what others have done. I think it gets a little more traffic.

+1

That looks to be more of a shaver type like the Ion which makes sense, same company. Those must reopen holes ok unless Wahoo's are just dull.  My Ion is great at reopening, lazer blades suck at it.

Edited by Hawg

Mine looks like that.  And it does reopen holes, and is sharp.  But, had read in past it was not good for the blade.  A friend indeed has attached a 10" Strikemaster, dual blade to his Eskimo so it does work.  His impressively cuts holes quickly, at angles, etc.  He spears so he does 5 holes side by side , 3 holes deep, then augers side ways to remove in between.  Works well.  Complete hole done, less scooping, in under 10 minutes.  

Thanks for all the advice.  Could use something larger than 8" anyway, so may go to 10.  Also will redo back part by toy hauler door, under bunks to a 20" x 5' hole, covered and hinged of course.  May spear, but even if not I love watching the fish and various movements of bait, etc.  

Again, thanks for being generous.

Wahoo

Those are quantom blades in that picture and they work great for reopening holes and I never had a problem with it being bad for the blades in fact that ring around the bit on the bottom is to help guide the blade when going through a preexisting hole

I've had issues with my Eskimo Z-51 reopening holes, getting caught at different parts along the hole ON occasion. Other times it ripped right though. So my answer pretty much sucks but from experience they aren't the best at opening holes.