• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Skis vs hyfax

IndyEFI500

In the market for a new sled house and am debating on using used skis vs buying the hyfax kits. I had the hyfax kits on my previous sled house and they were ok behind a wheeler/snowmobile but caught a lot of little things when pulled by hand. I had the factory recommended kit. Maybe if I had ground the front edge off would have helped. Just wondering if any one else has used old skis instead of the hyfax and what the rsults were.  

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
6 minutes ago, IndyEFI500 said:

In the market for a new sled house and am debating on using used skis vs buying the hyfax kits. I had the hyfax kits on my previous sled house and they were ok behind a wheeler/snowmobile but caught a lot of little things when pulled by hand. I had the factory recommended kit. Maybe if I had ground the front edge off would have helped. Just wondering if any one else has used old skis instead of the hyfax and what the rsults were.  

What type and size house? It could work if you counter sink the heads on some X-country skis maybe so the bolt or screw heads didn't dig in. You just want to keep them as low as you can because if it's on a flip over house your front edge maybe off the ice if to high. 

Part of my problem is that I can't narrow down what house I want. Debating on a single person to two person. Clam kenai to otter cabin to Eskimo evo 2 iT. Or Eskimo Inferno 1 wide to otter hideout. I've seen a couple for sale with skis instead of hyfax. It was something I had thought about before I saw the ones for sale with them. I'm looking to buy new and it would save considerably to use old skis vs the hyfax kits. In my experience the factory kits are ok if using no powered propulsion but like to catch on things when pulled by human means. Aka they have sharp edges that hook if you are trying pull by hand. 

I put some old ski's on my 2 man Jason Mitchell thermal. If I have all of the stuff in it and pull it by hand it'll run you over when it's bare ice in early season it pulls that easy. I counter sunk the heads  in to the skis when I put them on. Don't think I'd go back to using the hyfax on a house now

• Thumbs Up 2

In the process of rigging up some XC skis to go under my otter sled & Eskimo 949i myself. Some good DIY videos out there, just do a search for smitty sled

Skis are the way to go. I've done the hyfax and they will keep the wear and tear off your sled, but they don't really make it that much easier to pull. Downhill skis with countersunk heads are a way better option. 

If you really wanted to go all out you could fill the heads back in with bondo or epoxy. But that's overkill. 

I've found my one man to pull much easier with hyfax vs nothing. Can't tell you about skis but for walking it makes a big difference and for towing with sled or wheeler helps to keep the wear and tear down as mentioned.

I have an older fishtrap guide (2man) and I picked up a set of old downhill skis at the thrift store for 5 bucks.  The sled pulls really nice and as mentioned above when you stop on smooth surfaces the sled likes to keep going.  I will definitely do this again on my next house.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for all the replies. Skis definitely sound better and a lot cheaper. Now if I could just narrow down the house selection. 

I have skis . The best part of skis is loading your house in the truck. It stands by itself, making the lift easy, even for older guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ski's work great on ice and minimal snow but bad on tared roads/accesses. Any tub is much harder to pull if there is any snow unless they are elevated. A person might be better off building a sled to throw your tub onto and give it a couple of inches of lift or clearance. I made one for my 8X8 portable and you can pull it with one hand with no problem but I use my 4 wheeler. I have snow ski's on the bottom and reinforced the tips of the ski's in case you hit a ice chunk. I have also used it to throw my Otter lodge into just to make it easier to pull on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1