• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am not really sure why, but forum posting is on the decline.  But I thought that I would end/start the year with a challenge to my fellow fisherman.  Let's share some of the observations we are finding out on the ice.  I am not suggesting you give up your secret spots, but there are things that we can share without getting a lot of company when we are out fishing.  I'll start with a few:

1. The rain actually helped the ice conditions in the Shieldsville area.  All of the snow that we received earlier.  It is all now in the form of ice.  I found 7-8 inches of ice out on Shields.
  2. Because the snow is gone, walking out to your spots is easy.  (I don't have a snowmobile or ATV, so I have to walk for now.)
  3. Disregard item 2 if you don't have ice cleats.  Walking without cleats will be impossible.
  4. I have not caught many fish so far, but every single one that I have caught has been on a pink/white Buckshot.

Good luck and good fishing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like your screen name, that's funny to me. It used to be ok to joke around about things like "bring an extension or no?"

Post decline may be down because the place is a little on the stiff side, lol. You've got to be pretty proper, very cautious, it's like church or something.

I don't mind, I read more than I post these days (here anyways). Which is probably better for everyone. lol.

Best of luck out there. 

As far as your challenge... Observations are that we continue to see new people out on the ice, New to the sport. Since they are new, some don't know about some of the basics like what speed to travel on the ice in a truck, some don't know about common courtesy for space that might be appreciated by other fishermen.

I'd challenge or ask other veteran fishermen to share some basic knowledge with young or new people to the sport that you may have an impression on. Educate people on things they may be accidentally doing that might be dangerous or bothersome to others on the ice. Just go over some basics, keep the speed down, don't drill holes 8 feet outside of someone's house, don't leave trash on the ice, stuff like that. Things like littering should be common sense but some of these people honestly don't know that driving 50 mph between houses in your pickup is dangerous and makes people mad. lol

Best of luck, Happy new years!

Dave 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only been on Cannon Lake so far. Once on Christmas Eve and once yesterday. I agree that after the rain, the ice is MUCH better. No slush at all. Tried a number of depths and did mark quite a few, but only 2 perch through the ice. I just discovered that lake last year and did well on jumbos, with an occasional walleye. As a big bowl, I would assume that the fish just cruise around following the baitfish. Is the evening bite better on that lake? 

I've tried Cannon a few times it's a hard lake to figure out. Only got 1 northern and some small perch so far this year.

I'm sitting on Cedar lake today where the island blocks the wind, got a few gills and a 28" northern so far.

I have fished a few lakes around the area and have found the ice to be rather inconsistent. It sure is slippery though!!! So far I am having an awesome season, 5 walleyes one night and the next day on a different lake was a 50+ fish day with 4 species and a lot of 10-11" crappies. I think it's going to be a good year, especially if we can get it to cool down before a major snowfall! I personally would be a little careful with the wheelers yet, I found some spots of only 4" of good ice on Tuesday night. It was a bit of a creepy walk across the lake being only one other person was out and it was dark.

12 hours ago, SHAWSKI said:

Post decline may be down because the place is a little on the stiff side, lol. You've got to be pretty proper, very cautious, it's like church or something.

I don't mind, I read more than I post these days (here anyways). Which is probably better for everyone. lol.

This... a couple years back It became way too stuffy here with a lot moderator action Turned a lot away.  

Edited by morepower02

I agree. The people didn't change (members), great group of sportsmen and outdoorsmen.

It just got a tish PC for me, hard to breath... lol

Good luck guys! Be safe!

On 12/29/2016 at 9:16 AM, SHAWSKI said:

I like your screen name, that's funny to me. It used to be ok to joke around about things like "bring an extension or no?"

You are on to the reason for the name.  I first discovered this site when I was searching for sleeper rentals for an inaugural winter ice trip.  The question kept coming up whether people should bring an auger extension to the big lakes up north.  The common sense response was yes, definitely bring it.

After all, you are driving hundreds of miles, spending lots of money, and your success would then hinge on whether you could get through the last 2 or 3 inches of ice to get at those walleyes.  It was better to throw that small device in the vehicle and not need it, rather than need it but not have it available.

I think it was asked more often as a joke than it was asked as a serious question. 

Edited by BringAnExtension

I was booted from the forums for a smart a$$ remark concerning "do I bring the extension?"

:)

That was a number of years ago.

I'm sure I did offend someone, so I had it coming.

What burned me is we had a guy posting, openly threatening physical violence against folks that had the nerve to NOT patronize resort and guide businesses and would rather put on at public access points and do everything themselves.... 

And that, somehow was fine. :crazy:

I still check in here for fishing reports and to see who's still posting. 

Heard there was a walleye bite on Roberds. Out on the 30th in 18 FOW and had a couple come in and slam my jig. No action at all on the dead stick. Went out the next day full of hope and ended up with this!Roberds Big Catfish.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

That's awesome! Good for you. I have spent a few days in the past couple of years on that lake specifically trying to pattern those, there are a lot of them in there but I can't seem to get them dialed in in the winter. Nice catch!

I was out twice this weekend and found the ice to be between 9-11 inches on Circle Lake.  A lot of traffic and everyone was in a good mood.  The fishing was pretty slow with a lot of lookers on the vex.  The dead stick was the ticket for those, plain red hook and small crappie minnow near the bottom.  I think with so many people out on the ice the fish were cautious and biting light, if you didn't have electronics you'd never know if fish were even there.  

It was still a great day to be outside on the ice yesterday and the best part was helping my niece teach her boyfriend how to ice fish.  Watching a young man in his 20s' get all excited to catch a perch for the first time was a hoot!