• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm looking for the best and cheapest place to get a 30 pound propane tank filled. Seems like all I can find are exchanges for 20 pounders. 

I have heard that the U-Haul on 53 by Haines was suppose to be cheap and fill tanks to the top. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

U-Haul in Hermatown will fill a tank and you pay for what they put in. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What about Super America at Pike Lake? I think they do the same, with better hours. they refill out of big tank.

Yes SA fills tanks and should be able to fill a 30 lb tank but they charge a flat rate.  So if your tank is half full or empty you pay the same flat rate.    Uhaul charges by weight and you pay for what they put in.   Both are cheaper then the tank exchange and most tank exchange are 17 lb whereas SA and Uhaul fills to 20 lb.  When you figure that in your paying a lot more for convenience.    One more detail.  If your tank is out of date and needs a new inspection it can't be filled by UHaul or SA BUT the tank exchange will take them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Chalstrom's Bait, Amerigas across the freeway from Menards West Duluth, Most Propane dealers/suppliers will fill any size tank you have if you drive up to them.  May require cash only though.

• 2 weeks later...

Chalstrom's Bait has long been my choice for getting L.P. tanks of all sizes filled.  Both for convenience and a good price.

As always,

Take care

Tom (BD110)

• Thumbs Up 1

I use Hanson's auto repair om Trinity and Anderson Rd. They charge only for what you get. I have a 5 lb. and a 10 lb. most places charge flat fee to fill small tanks . its good to see other places will charge for what you get. good post.  

On 12/9/2016 at 6:49 AM, Surface Tension said:

U-Haul in Hermatown will fill a tank and you pay for what they put in. 

Frank

I have also heard this, has someone weighted tanks to check the difference? 

Saw the Holiday on the corner of Arrowhead and #4 has fill it a price per gal I think it was $2.89????The only draw back is they have certain hours which I assume they all have.   Do not think I would worry over a couple of cents difference if it was on my way.  Probably spend more on Gas then the savings on propane

Sam if it took 15 lbs to fill that is what your charged unlike some places that charge a flat rate to fill.