• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Two harbors trip question

Hey everyone, coming up to two harbors for a week this summer and my brother and i are thinking of wetting a line in superior I've heard there is usually a pretty going salmon bit on the break wall. My brother has a 17 1/2 foot alumcraft tiller so we were thinking of the taking the boat neither of use have open water fished out there we also have no heavy gear exept a 8 foot heavy rod with a good trolling reel with lead core for walleyes we don't want to go out and spend a bunch of money on gear and figured it would be over $500 for every thing so is it even worth it to drag the boat up there other than maybe going for a boat ride? Thanks 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Be flexible on what launch you use.   Water temps and where they layer in the column is your structure. Best is to get a nice break on the surface.

I wish $500 is all it took to get fully rigged but  rod holders,  Dipsy Divers, and a couple inline boards will get you started. Since you said Summer I'll say use spoons.  Can't go wrong with Jim's FlashBacks.  Look at the boating regs for Coastal waters as you'll need additional equipment, a visual signal device(flare gun or hand held)and a audible signal device such as a horn.

4 hours ago, Surface Tension said:

Be flexible on what launch you use.   Water temps and where they layer in the column is your structure. Best is to get a nice break on the surface.

I wish $500 is all it took to get fully rigged but  rod holders,  Dipsy Divers, and a couple inline boards will get you started. Since you said Summer I'll say use spoons.  Can't go wrong with Jim's FlashBacks.  Look at the boating regs for Coastal waters as you'll need additional equipment, a visual signal device(flare gun or hand held)and a audible signal device such as a horn.

That's what I'm finding out gear isn't cheap these days is it even worth it do go out there or just fish off the break wall?

You most likely wont catch anything off the Breakwall either, the best time is early in the spring around March. People write articles and say fish are "biting" well yeah,  1 guy out of 80 got 2 fish and that's "biting" on the breakwall. You don't need all kinds of fancy stuff to fish out there. I have a 14.5ft aluminum & I fish with a couple planers or a lead core and always catch fish. Just have to find that Temp. Break to catch them. Might be closer to Duluth than Two Harbors, just need to be flexible with your launch place like Surface Tension mentioned.

Sure it's worth it to get out.  Being your from little falls you need a plan B if winds say you can't go. The St Louis river is a good back up plan.  My 1st trips 40 years ago on Superior were a lot more Spartan then your set up and I boated fish.  Just check in before you leave for a few tips on what access and depths.

• Thumbs Up 1

You CAN get lucky on the breakwall.  I have caught some Lake Trout , 2 around 15 lbs in June and early July and some smaller ones with an occasional small king or Coho.  Just cast an orange/gold spoon out as far as you can.  Let it drop to the bottom, then give it a quick jerk to get it off the bottom and reel in with varying speed.  Early morning has been best for me.  It's always memorable to get out early enough to watch a sunrise but have caught more fish around 8 am. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone heading up this weekend and wanted to see if anyone has any reports of fishing off the breakwall I herd its not been to hot out there but figured I would check with y'all?

I wouldn't let any lack of report deter me and chances are your not going to find one, anywhere.

Optimal conditions change with the wind but with the way the weather and water temps have been, the wall might not be too bad a choice, in fact you might be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Water temps were very cold in the harbor this morning (around 40) but warmer water is close by.  a few days of south wind would be helpful!  No one was fishing on the wall this morning but I agree with Frank, the only way to catch is to flip the bail and take a cast!  Good luck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, icefisker said:

Water temps were very cold in the harbor this morning (around 40) but warmer water is close by.  a few days of south wind would be helpful!  No one was fishing on the wall this morning but I agree with Frank, the only way to catch is to flip the bail and take a cast!  Good luck. 

Exactly got to get out there and give it a try!

4 hours ago, Surface Tension said:

I wouldn't let any lack of report deter me and chances are your not going to find one, anywhere.

Optimal conditions change with the wind but with the way the weather and water temps have been, the wall might not be too bad a choice, in fact you might be surprised.

Frank I hope your right. ;)