• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CGi inline reel

eyeguy 54

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Picked one up today to try out hopefully sometime soon. :) I like the drag on it. 

reel.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

hopefully I will also and if I do will grab 1 more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Drag is a little funny....and like every other inline I have ever tried, your line will get wraped around the inside of your spool from time to time.  But for the price it's not a bad reel:)

• Thumbs Up 1

I had the same problems as Rick. The drag is wonky; one-eight of a rotation will go from zero drag to 4-5 lbs. It's easy to bump it or twist it accidentally, especially with gloves, so you're always having to check it.

The line will get wound up around both the inside of the spool as well as the outside knob, resulting in minor damage to already ultra-light line. Combine that with a sketchy, unreliable drag and you get breakoffs more often than not with anything larger that a panfish, it seems.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the reels, though I do like how straight the line comes off the spool. They were replaced by spinning reels after about 25 trips and will now stay on my rarely-used bobber rods.

Ya get what ya pay for! $20 doesn't buy much nowadays.

Edited by BeaverIslander
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad you like them! Many people do. In fact, it was based on the stellar reviews that I bought four of them when I outfitted both my dad and I for this ice fishing season -- our first. He loves them. I prefer the Sedonas and Siennas.

There are pros and cons to both. I have a heck of a lot more twist to my line with the spinning reels, that's for sure, and I regularly have to stretch my line to tame it. I didn't have to do that with the CGI. 

if you have a couple toooo many I know somebody that might buy them. ;)   My first attempt with inline was the genz model.  I like to be able to reel and use the drag so it was not for me. this baby I like. been using spinning for years on panfish and like them also but this is a new game to learn. :)

I bought one recently and really like it so far.  It took a little getting used to at first, but I've had very few issues since.  I bought the combo with the Snitch 25" rod.  I really like the rod also. 

I spooled it with 2 lb and caught a 30" northern and a couple of decent bass while panfishing with it ...and the drag worked great!  The drag is a little touchy to adjust but not an issue. 

I like that you can push the button to release the spool and even the tiniest tungsten jig will drop if you have it adjusted correctly.  Most of my fishing with it has been in 20+ feet of water and no issues dropping the jig down.

I just hope it holds up as well as my spinning reels have.

Nels

• Thumbs Up 1

• 9 months later...

still lovin the 2 I have. will robably add a 3rd this season just cuz :)

• Thumbs Up 1

well one reel went bad today. reel catches half way each revolution. took it apart partially and cant figure t out. 

figured I would go for it so dove in further and found a small screw had come loose on the inside. reattached it and ready for more gills.:) :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just got the third one all rigged up. :)  I just use for panfish. Threw regular 4 pound trilene xl on this one fo fun to try. 

i might be headed to an eyeguy lake this afternoon 

I really like this reel as well

kinda funny, I have a habit now of setting my pointer finger on the spool as i pull line out to get the jig down. Havnt fished with the spin reels for a while so the other day when I was fishing with one for a bit I was doing the same thing. LOL  

The snitch 

IMG_0786.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/6/2016 at 1:09 PM, BassThumb. said:

I had the same problems as Rick. The drag is wonky; one-eight of a rotation will go from zero drag to 4-5 lbs. It's easy to bump it or twist it accidentally, especially with gloves, so you're always having to check it.

The line will get wound up around both the inside of the spool as well as the outside knob, resulting in minor damage to already ultra-light line. Combine that with a sketchy, unreliable drag and you get breakoffs more often than not with anything larger that a panfish, it seems.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the reels, though I do like how straight the line comes off the spool. They were replaced by spinning reels after about 25 trips and will now stay on my rarely-used bobber rods.

Ya get what ya pay for! $20 doesn't buy much nowadays.

This is the problem with all of the straight line, free spooling reels on the market imo. The drag system is just inadequate - fine for panfish - but after I lost a giant walleye, I started to rethink my (eagle claw) straight line obsession. I opted for fly reels on my walleye jigging rods, and hoping for a free-spooling straight line reel with a better drag system in the future.

I have one setup on a Fenwick Walleye Rod, hoping it gets a workout on LOW next week.  I am a little worried about the drag and wish it had a line guide.  I will have back up rods/reels just in case, but I am going to give it a shot.  I have an older Black Betty on an Ultralight that I like, but wish it had the spool release like the CGI does.

the spool release is nice. I have only used my setups for panfish but I dont see why it would not work on anything once you get used to it. I set the drag and fish away. I dont fish with big gloves on so that might be a plus. I also dont think the drag is inadequate for big fish. I have landed some dandy northern and bass that wanted my tiny offering. I guess it's just getting to know the reel. I like the vex cover in your pic moose. just grabbed one yesturday to try out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

the spool release is nice. I have only used my setups for panfish but I dont see why it would not work on anything once you get used to it. I set the drag and fish away. I dont fish with big gloves on so that might be a plus. I also dont think the drag is inadequate for big fish. I have landed some dandy northern and bass that wanted my tiny offering. I guess it's just getting to know the reel. I like the vex cover in your pic moose. just grabbed one yesturday to try out. 

That cover is great. 

As as for the reel I have massive hands and one hand that does not work and think the reel does just fine but I do not wear gloves. I can't find them to fit me

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On 1/1/2017 at 9:13 PM, monstermoose78 said:

The snitch 

IMG_0786.JPG

I have a 29" snitch coming soon to use as an outside rod.  Continue to hear good things about them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Borch said:

I have a 29" snitch coming soon to use as an outside rod.  Continue to hear good things about them.

It has held up well last year and is my go to plastics rod now. Mine is the shorter one but it does well for an outside rod 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I noticed with this reel is the free fall is slow if it is cold out. Other wise it's working great

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

The only thing I noticed with this reel is the free fall is slow if it is cold out. Other wise it's working great

Yea, if you're out on the ice on a cold day, they'll ice up.  I've noticed that fine tuning the tension adjustment, the drag, and the rate that you might strip line off the reel is definitely a learned art.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I dont let it free fall. I put my pointer finger on the side of the spool and pull the line out. I do the same with spinning reels. I dont have enough patience to watch a tiny jig drop slow. LOL  

on a side note i had 2 rookies try them tuesday up on bow string for a few hours.  brother in law wrapped line on the drag 1 time otherwise they both liked the reels.  only took me about a minute to unwrap the line with these eyes. lol 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just went and picked one up! Price match at scheels cabelas had themon sale for $26 pretty good deal! Seems like a solid reel. Going to go test it out tomorrow on Some big gills! How's everyone liking them?

• Thumbs Up 1

This my second year with mine and I really like them. I always fish in a permanent house so can't comment on the outside use. I've caught panfish northern and bass and it worked well for all of them.

Edited by Huntinfool
  • Thumbs Up 1