• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chisago lake/south/north/center ice

Hi,any reports on ice on north and south center or chisago?Where should I go if I do go next sunday?I would feel comfortable with at least 5 inches.Whats biting and on what part of the lakes?

22 hours ago, bowhuntingboy1 said:

I really need an answerso if you have any knowledge of the ice thicknessI would appreciate it.

Not a particularly great way to gain trust on a public forum. It's a give and take thing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

bowhuntingboy,

I hav'nt been out yet -work busy this time of year, but people have been fishing the channel of Chisago for about a week or more. Alot of people with portables last sunday, but I don't know how many inches. North Center and Green have been froze for a couple weeks but South Center just froze over Monday.  The channel may give you the best sense of security now. Good luck and be safe.

rascal

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bowhuntingboy1 said:

That's too bad,but a lot can change in one week of our weather.

That is true , This year things could get better or they can also worsen. Please be very safe and check the ice conditions often.

Finally got out for a quick outing on Chisago Monday afternoon. Spent an hour or so and fished a half dozen plus holes.    5 1/2 inches of ice  is what I found - sunnies is what I caught - beautiful sunset is what I saw.  Back for a full day tomorrow .

rascal

Edited by rascal23
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

Got out to a spot that we normally do good early season for some sight fishing. Water, early winter is usually at it's clearest and little snow cover so seeing 10ft to the bottom even in our local lakes is pretty easy as long as you are in a darkened portable. Love,hate this type of fishing though. Love seeing everything going on under water. Hate dealing with tackle in dim light. Plus my hooking percentage is better watching my tip or line versus watching the fish eat. (weird) Best part of sight fishing is seeing how fish react to your presentation. You'ld be surprised to see how little rod movement gives your lure all the action it needs. 

We caught a lot of  sunfish with quite a few bass thrown in . Watching sunnies, then seeing a big bass cruise in and take your little sunnie bait is a rush. Biggest bass was 17" - 2 of them.  Most of the day, meat was working best worked with little action. The last hour, pounding a plastic rattail was blasting fish. Best color was what I already had tied on - black with the maggots and gold/uv ballhead with a glow rattail - never had to switch.  Roamed around a bit, but it was a pretty tight area that held most of the fish - 10 ft next to some of the thickest weeds in the lake.

We all ended up taking a few fish home - 1/2 dozen  or so 7 1/2" -8 1/2" sunnies and let a few bigger ones go.  Guy's, ya gotta let the big ones go. If you want big sunfish in the future, you have to let the big ones go today.

Anyway, great day on the ice. Get out and darken your portable and spend some time looking down your hole while the water is still clear.

rascal

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi,I am back,I am going out tomorrow and wondering if anyone has ice reports for chisago main channel.Thanks

2 weeks ago,we caught nothing,but we saw a pile of everything on the aquavu and they just looked at bait and never bit.

We were out wednesday on the south bay and between A-frame and eagles nest. Ice was 8-9". It varied a bit. There's a number of slushy spots which was kind of surprising with the cold we had last weekend, so there is some water seeping up through cracks. A couple of perms were out. We were on snowmobile and others on wheelers. Fishing was ok. A lot of numbers of sunnies, but I didn't keep any. My buddy kept a 1/2 dozen eaters. One biggie that got put back. A few smaller crappies and no bass.  Bounced around alot, fished a bunch of holes. Plastics and meat did about the same differing from hole to hole. Some holes had aggressive fish that jumped on the plastics, while others would sniff at the plastic but jump on the maggots.

We fished Chisago on Tuesday, walked out to a good spot to park. Didn't feel like hole-hopping cause of the cold. Popped up the Eskimo for a little social time and a few fish. Ice was 14" where we set up. Other holes, a little less. Frankies had told my buddy, 10-14". People starting to drive. Fishing was a little slow, but fish were caught, mostly on meat.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out on Chisago on Sunday.  Just about the time that fishing contest was heading out.  We got out there first  since we could leave before they did :) .  The gills were very fussy...doing the ol' kiss and spit routine.  Lucky I was using my teeter totter bobbers and managed 8 for the frying pan.  My buddy using the conventional "strike indicator" didn't even know they were there.  One thing I found was they wanted a fresh waxy and when I smooshed the old one all over the jig and then put on new one.  Pow! 

btw the winners were from Nebraska and managed 9 lbs. with 8 gills and 8 crappies.  Also, Moose...thanks for the note.  Greatly appreciated!

Any recent ice reports on North Center? Was thinking of hitting the north end tomorrow morning. Is the public access on the south end of the lake the only way to get on?

Crappies if you get there early.Have only went there once last week,but caught 8 ten inchers for the pan