• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know that we are still a long ways off from ice fishing.  But yesterday morning there was a skim of ice at the landing for Mazaska.  It just gets me looking forward to the hard water season!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm getting exited as well.

Gonna pick up a new hub and flasher on black Friday.  Hopefully I'll be able to use them by the following weekend

I spent some time this fall marking early ice spots on my handheld GPS, spots that I can easily access by walking  I can't wait to see if some of my strategies work out.

I looked at a couple lakes around Faribault this morning.

Fox lake was open with some skim ice around the fishing pier.

Roberts lake looked completely covered with a thin sheet.

The snow tomorrow is bad news for the lakes that are already iced over.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mazaska was mostly covered in ice, French was about 90% covered.  Hoping that we get enough snow to sink the little bit of ice out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just before the snow clear in waseca had 2 inches by the shore. Eyes were hot before the ice came. Really want to drill some holes. Come on cold weather no more snow till the 23 or so is fine with me. 

Edited by dennsplace
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is little good news in the 10 day forecast for ice fishing for the Faribault area lakes.  Highs will be around 40 with lows just barely hitting freezing.

The only good news that I can find is that the 7-11 inches of snow that were predicted turned into 3 inches.  The temps in the 40's should wipe that out so that when it finally does get cold the ice will form quickly.

I walked on a south of mankato body of water today. Checked this same body of water before the snow and there was already an inch and a half. I didn't have my gear...but I will next time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Long term trends favor ice making weather beginning on Sunday.  Let's hope that they are right.

If the Accu Weather forecast for Faribault holds I plan on being up in that area popping holes in the ice on the weekend of December 19-20.

If the Weather Channel's forecast is the more accurate I may have to wait a little longer than that to get on the ice in SC Minnesota.

Cannon lake has opened back up and the ice on Elysian was looking pretty wet this afternoon.

Hopefully with this rain and above freezing nights this weekend all the lakes open up and we can get some new good ice starting Wednesday if the forecast holds out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like that piece came from the kids pool that they were using yesterday because its been warm enough. Sorry , couldn't resist.  Lmao

I saw someone fishing Lake Elysian yesterday. He had a couple tip-ups set up pretty close to shore and was sitting in his car waiting for a flag.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, troutman72 said:

guy went down on clear an hour ago  they got out safe.  lost his gear..   i mesured 1 5/8 of ice.

My point was just made so much better than I could have said it . NOT SAFE !!!!!!!!!!

I am glad to hear that he got out safe and probably learned and taught a very valuable lesson.  No Fish is Worth a Human Life

Edited by Weathertite
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, troutman72 said:

guy went down on clear an hour ago  they got out safe.  lost his gear..   i mesured 1 5/8 of ice.

Yeah, this is why as badly as I wanted to get out on the ice this weekend in southern Minnesota I stayed in Iowa. 

You only got really two days of good ice-making weather back there, and the wind would have slowed the ice-building down a little bit. I figured there with temps warming up today the lakes south of the Cities would come up a little short of safe ice.

The forecast for the week after Christmas is looking a little better for making good ice. I can wait another ten days. 

• Thumbs Up 2

JIvers - I remember your post about coming to the area on the 19th and thought about PM'ing you.  I was planning to fish too, even if I had to go north.  Just could not justify driving a long distance, especially to areas I am not familiar with, when the ice situation is so sketchy.  Looks like you came to the same conclusion.

The forecast looks pretty good as far as temperatures go for making ice in south central Minnesota after today--I just hope the snow predicted doesn't interfere with things too much.

Did most of the thin ice from last weekend melt off the lakes up there? Probably not, but I hope that it did so the freezing gets a fresh start without snow on top of thin ice.

If things go well I'll be paying a visit to Waseca or Faribault later this week. :cool:

Things are looking more promising for sure. I think most of the heavier snow is suppose to go west of us this next time anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1