• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Staying at a campsite on Aitkin Lake in mid-August, never been to this area before.  How is the fishing on Aitkin?  Am I better off going into Big Sandy, and how navigable in the channel connecting the two?

Thanks for any help.

you should be fine going into big sandy, just keep your motor trimmed a little and take it slow. I have no reports on the lakes, but I am sure you will find fish.

I always go through the narrow flowage on plane to get from Big Sandy to Aitkin and back.  It can get a bit close when there are multiple boats in the flowage since the channel is small but I do it all the time.  I'll be up this weekend.  I'll mainly be fishing the main lake of BS with a jig and fatheads.  I'm not sure if that'll work but it's worth a shot.

I always go through the narrow flowage on plane to get from Big Sandy to Aitkin and back.  It can get a bit close when there are multiple boats in the flowage since the channel is small but I do it all the time.  I'll be up this weekend.  I'll mainly be fishing the main lake of BS with a jig and fatheads.  I'm not sure if that'll work but it's worth a shot.

Crappie2760, you are an (word edited) who should be shot in the head. Playing dodge on plane with other people and families is stupid, dangerous, and mean.

I am sure you are a capable boat driver, but why take the slim chance? It's fishing, you in a hurry? Could you live with yourself if you hurt someone? Have fun when your alone, but four years ago, I was in the channel with my 3 year old daughter and someone blew past really close. Today she will not get into any boat unless I promise we will not go through the channel.

Please share the outdoors. 

"

Edited by knoppers
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow!! The moderators must have missed this post!! I didn't know you could swear on here. Ill have to give it shot.

shot in the head? people need to stop with this crap..yes may not be the best of idea's to fly through the channel and it would suck if my daughter didn't want to get into the boat after someone who shouldn't be driving a boat came that close to me..i would be upset too, but wouldn't have a comment like that one. I don't like when sitting on the main lake anchored and people come close. there are people out on the water that should not be operating a boat at all..when i was up the last time we had dense dense for. I had my lights on (like suppose to) and while my son and I were anchored fishing we had boats blast past us where you couldn't see them within 50 yards..wide open with no lights on..you have to be on the defensive side while driving your boat for sure. I didn't even have to point this out to my 10 yo son who looked at me and said those guys are going too fast in the fog. 

Haha that's a pretty entertaining post considering I go through there about 20 mph and stay to the right side no matter what.  I've damaged 3 props in there on logs and rocks going slow.  I've also only ever seen people go through there on plane so I'm definitely not in the minority.  I've also never dodged anyone.  If you meet a boat or come up to a boat you HAVE to slow down and go around them.  It's common sense and exactly what you'd do in a vehicle. 

So we went up last weekend and struggled with the fishing, I don't know if the heat just shut down the bite or we just weren't using the right tactics out there.  Really cool lake though with all the Wild Rice.  We took the channel to Big Sandy, and just before we got to the entrance a large bass boat flew by, and we saw some kayakers exit the channel shortly after.  I'm sure the boat scared them pretty good.  Being that it was the first time in the channel, and we do have a relatively small boat, I kept it at 5 or 6 mph and enjoyed the drive.  I could see if someone fished those lakes more frequently that they would speed up the drive.  Minimum depth I read was around 2 feet, and it got pretty narrow in spots.  I wouldn't have wanted to meet another boat going 20 mph, thats for sure, but there are plenty of straightaways where you could see other boats if they were nearby.  It really didn't take that long to get through the channel though.

We did have a nice largemouth up to the boat on Big Sandy, but it broke our line as it took off under the boat once we got it close.  Still a nice time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.