• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was out on Clearwater today with my brother and we found bass and pike reasonably active. Not much panfish activity up shallow, probably still a bit cold. Surface temps about 63 degrees. Bass are still on the beds, and pike are all over in the reeds. Here is a CPR fish from today:

mem bass2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Bass, Have you been out  there lately? I fished Clearwater, early in the morning one pike(7lbs) another typical 24inch, and a 12in walleye then the rain hit. My client were only interested in fishing walleyes, they had no rain gear with and fishing in the rain was not going to happen. I was going to leave had only the jacket of my rain gear (don't let your wife clean up your boats) 15 minutes went ou tonlt to catch pike after pike no matter where I went.

• Thumbs Up 1

jigginjim:  Glad to hear the pike are biting.  I'm going to be up there this weekend and my wife loves to catch them. They are also her and the kids favorite table fare.  Keep me posted this week if you are fishing on Clearwater.  I'm really looking forward to getting the family back up there.  Hopefully the gills are biting.  I have an 11 yr old daughter that loves to panfish.

• Thumbs Up 1

We were out on Thursday morning and we're hitting bass all along the bullrushes. Pike were everywhere. 

Bowkill- if all else fails for pike, find a decent flat from 12-16ish (where we were finding them) and use a jig with a minnow or twister tail (colors didn't seem to matter much).

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks derbie.  I was up for memorial day and fishing was really good.  I have been fishing Clearwater all of my life, and found this memorial day weekend to be one of the strangest.  Cool water temps and lots of weeds.  12-16ft, you must have been looking for some eyes.   Thanks again for the update.  Was putting rods in the boat last night and I have two kids that are cranked.

I was along for the ride fishing where a friend wanted to fish. Yes, I think he wanted eyes, I was looking for the eater pike.

Have an uncle that lives up there that said the pike were still on the bite.  I'm coming up Friday.  Looks like right after a cold front.  Hope they stay biting.  If not, maybe the gills will be on the bite.  I know I'm at work right now, but my mind is on the lake.  

I just got a place at the campground up on Clearwater Lake.  Never fished it before.  Any tips or tricks or possibly anyone who would have an open seat coming up?  Our first trip up will be June 18th-21st.  Anything would be greatly appreciated.

First thing I would do is get a lake map.  The lake has a lot of up and down where there is a lot of shallow water.  Keep your boat protected by getting a map and staying out of trouble.  From the west lake to the east there are the narrows.  Make sure you take the south narrows.  It is deeper.  Clearwater has a lot of drop offs with good weeds.  Find a drop off with weeds and start working it from there.  Not every weed bed holds fish all the time, but most will hold fish.  Good luck to you.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Clearwater is a great multi species lake, Bass, Northern, Walleye, Crappies and Sunfish are all available to you. The lake is loaded with structure and also good recreational areas, you will find spots quickly if you go out and look around, but be aware there are tons of spots and you need to find the ones that are holding fish. Enjoy the search! If you see a fat guy with wide brimmed hat in a monark boat and need some help, flag me down...

Later

Dale

• Thumbs Up 3

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Please be sure to thank folks by liking their posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we will be chasing the bass Saturday morning around 5 or 6. Probably up in and around the north bay by the grass lake channel (very close to my buddy's cabin). He doesn't generally venture too far away from there. Maybe I can talk him into it if the fishing isn't hot and heavy. I am hoping we can get into the pike for a while also.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made it back from a great week on the water.  My family had a lot of fun and caught plenty of fish.  Bluegills were a little hit and miss, but we still did ok on them.  Northern fishing was great.  My boy had the hot hand for the week and definitely whooped the old man a little.  Went walleye fishing only one night and picked up a couple.  Bass fishing was what it normally is on Clearwater, HOT!!  Kept a few bass this year.  Not normally what I do, but I have a buddy that likes to eat them so I kept a handful to fry for him.  All in all a pretty fun week.  Weather wasn't bad and the fish cooperated enough to keep the wife and kids happy.  Good luck up there.  Hope to be back soon.

• Thumbs Up 4

Anybody know if they treated the sand bar for chiggers? heard they were bad and with band coming this weekend I want to know if it is worth going?

A lady said they were swimming on the large sand/rock bar that splits Clearwater lake.  The Grand kids came up with white bumps on the shoulders and necks. Some say it chiggers, as for spraying for them. it's best do your own treatment before going in any water.

A lady said they were swimming on the large sand/rock bar that splits Clearwater lake.  The Grand kids came up with white bumps on the shoulders and necks. Some say it chiggers, as for spraying for them. it's best do your own treatment before going in any water.

​What kind of treatment can you do before going in?  I don't know anything about chiggers.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

​What kind of treatment can you do before going in?  I don't know anything about chiggers.

​Don't catch em they itch real bad

Edited by monstermoose78

It is extremely unlikely that any treatment will be done on that sand bar as it is public property past the shoreline, and would then need to be done by a public agency.

Ultimately any water treatment is only effective for a few hours. The problem is that "chiggers" are actually a free swimming larvae that are carried in the water by wind and currents. The spray is a treatment that affects the organisms on the bottom of the lake, primarily targeting snails which are a step in the life cycle. As soon as the wind blows or currents move the water (Lots of current over that point) more larvae are carried into the area. There is no effective preventative treatment for this creature.

Typically, the larvae are mostly gone by the 4th of July, but the cooler water temperatures this Spring will hold them longer. As mentioned above, the best treatment is to scrub vigorously on leaving the water and dry off as soon as possible to discourage the larvae from burrowing in as the skin dries.

My family ran the Narrows Resort, a few hundred yards east of that point and worked around this issue for many years. We tried every treatment in the book, and none showed any significant effect, other than lightening the pocketbook.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ouch, thanks for the info. we will be careful. Not sure if we are going or not yet... I have had them before and do not want to repeat that process.