• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

propane ice augers

fins&feathers

anyone have in put on propane powered augers, are they as great they claim?

tired of leaking gas and hard starts in the cold weather

any info would be appreciated

thanks

I like mine this is my fourth season I usually go through one tank per year in the wheelhouse, I will definitely buy another at some point. I have the pro 4.

I bought the Jiffy Pro 4 this year and so far I Like it. I have a crew cab pick-up and keep the auger with tank attached behind the drivers seat. I just returned from LOW and the resort we fished out of used Jiffy Pro 4's for the last several years. The guide said the only draw back for him was you have to keep the propane tank warm but then it was -32 degrees when we were there.

Mike

I'd go with the ION. Watched them in action for a couple years and finally bought one a little over a month ago due to the fact I bought an SUV and sold my pickup.

I'll never go back to gas/propane. 2c

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a 10 inch jiffy propane really like it had it two years , want to sell it and looking at eskimo propane. like propane for sure

agree on the Jiffy Pro 4. no smell in house, quiet running vs gas. at -6 Sat morning it did run slow. usually try to warm the tank in the truck, but forgot that day.

I'll put my Honda lite 10 inch vs a pro 4 any day. My buddy has a pro 4 10inch an is selling it to get a Honda like mind because it's the same for noise but the Honda out cuts it an way lighter then the pro 4 the big thing is the pro 4 throws ice chips everywhere in the house! An it's starts every time just fine even in the cold. Honda lite is a better auger!

guys who say gas augers leak and are tired of mixing gas and oil must have grew up on older models of gas augers that never quit on them but would slowly need maintenance.

I've used a Jiffy propane for 2 seasons and a gas now (Strikemaster mag with Solo with chipper blade, so not top of line gas auger) for 2 seasons. Despite the smaller Solo engine with chipper blade (from China?), the gas auger runs great. Sure it smells but I'm out fishing, who cares. I've only mixed gas-oil ONCE since I bought this last winter. I dont get how these other gas auger guys are going through gallons of gas requiring them to remix more fuel plus its a simple process--you add oil to gas. And I fish a lot.

Verdict: the Jiffy propane is nice, reliable. The Strikermaster Solo is equally nice and reliable, a bit lighter and FEELS (not proven) a bit more powerful. I've fired it in single digits with no more than a handful of pulls. A Strikemaster Honda or Nils would smash the Jiffy but thats no longer apples to apples.

guys who say gas augers leak and are tired of mixing gas and oil must have grew up on older models of gas augers that never quit on them but would slowly need maintenance.

I've used a Jiffy propane for 2 seasons and a gas now (Strikemaster mag with Solo with chipper blade, so not top of line gas auger) for 2 seasons. Despite the smaller Solo engine with chipper blade (from China?), the gas auger runs great. Sure it smells but I'm out fishing, who cares. I've only mixed gas-oil ONCE since I bought this last winter. I dont get how these other gas auger guys are going through gallons of gas requiring them to remix more fuel plus its a simple process--you add oil to gas. And I fish a lot.

Verdict: the Jiffy propane is nice, reliable. The Strikermaster Solo is equally nice and reliable, a bit lighter and FEELS (not proven) a bit more powerful. I've fired it in single digits with no more than a handful of pulls. A Strikemaster Honda or Nils would smash the Jiffy but thats no longer apples to apples.

You know, I always found that funny too. I mean, even the most avid ice fisherman use maybe 2 gallons of gas a year. Its mixing gas, not rocket sience. You put oil in a cup to whatever ratio you want and dump it in the gas. These same guys for some reason feel nothing when it comes time to drain the crank case of a 4 stroke, and don't seem to mind oil oozing out the first time they set it down wrong. crazy Its an ice auger, it makes holes in the ice. People put way too much thought into them. They all start easy when they are maintained. If it starts hard, it has a problem.

I ran a pro 4 first generation and had some problems with it!!! Bought a ion, used it for 2 weeks this year and sold it!! Didint redrill in the permanent all that well! So i went out and got a new pro 4 9"! It runs like a champ, It's a heavy tank but I dont cary it more than 30 yards from the house to pop a tip up hole so who cares!!! This one seems to have better lines and it seems put together better than the last one!!!

• 2 months later...

You know, I always found that funny too. I mean, even the most avid ice fisherman use maybe 2 gallons of gas a year. Its mixing gas, not rocket sience. You put oil in a cup to whatever ratio you want and dump it in the gas. These same guys for some reason feel nothing when it comes time to drain the crank case of a 4 stroke, and don't seem to mind oil oozing out the first time they set it down wrong. crazy Its an ice auger, it makes holes in the ice. People put way too much thought into them. They all start easy when they are maintained. If it starts hard, it has a problem.

I used 2 stroke augers for forty years with no complaints. I changed to a Strikemaster Honda Lite three years ago and love it. It starts easily, cuts great and the engine can be stored or used in any position without leaking oil. Very little smell when used in my wheelhouse also. 

I used 2 stroke augers for forty years with no complaints. I changed to a Strikemaster Honda Lite three years ago and love it. It starts easily, cuts great and the engine can be stored or used in any position without leaking oil. Very little smell when used in my wheelhouse also. 

I've had the first generation Jiffy Pro4 since it first came out. Yes, it had some bugs, but as soon as the bugs were fixed,,,the thing runs good. I love it beause it has no fumes, no mixing of gas, and reliable. People complain about the propane freezing up when it gets too cold. Yes, that is true.  But there are ways around it.  I've seen folks with gasoline/2stroke engines that also have a heck of a time tryin to start too when it gets really cold. So that being said, that's a poor reason to not get a propane auger.  It is a bit heavier than most augers, but I don't hole hop a lot and I'm sure most people who get it don't hole hop either. If I were to buy another auger, I'd never go back to gasoline.

• 4 months later...

I went through this decision last year.  My dad has the ion for the wheelhouse which works great.  I like the reverse to help push some of the snow down the hole.  And it is very light but not that powerful.  However, I like to run and drill holes, and the power capacity is not high enough...would need to carry duplicate batteries.  I don't like gas motors so I looked at the Jiffy 4, but that seemed too heavy for running around.  So I bought the Jiffy 4 light and that worked well.  It is a bit underpowered, but that means it takes another few seconds to get through and starts to bog down a bit on very thick ice.  Starts on the first pull even after sitting over the summer season and did the full season last year on two cans of propane .  Its a personal preference which way to go they all have benefits and drawbacks.  Like rods, boats, ice houses, etc we need one for each situation!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a jiffy 8" propane first gen, Had problems with the tin fuel line leaking, sold it! Bought an Ion and it works great if your not re-drilling, sold that, And bought a new 9" jiffy propane!!! The fuel lines are reconfigured and it works great! The 9" is a great size hole, I have a 5 yr old, so a 10" makes me nervous as he drops crap all over in the shack!! I've used gas before that for 20 years! 1 pull start and no real smell with the propane (maybe a little like a fork lift)! But if you can deal with the weight of the jiffy, I say get it! You won't be disappointed!

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a model 30 Jiffy to a new Pro4 Lite Propane last year. Its so much nicer! Like others have said you have to keep the bottles from frosting but same goes for those batteries.. I started using neoprene sleeves you can buy and slipped those on the tanks which has helped ALOT! I also don't use Coleman tanks. The Worthington tanks seem to be less of an issue for some reason.

I went through a tank and maybe a 1/4 last year and was really surprised at how many holes I was able to drill. I drill ALOT to the point it annoys people but I don't care. No exaggeration but I would say I get around 100 holes probably many more even. That was out on Mille Lacs.

• 5 weeks later...

Have heard nothing but good things about these. My dad bought one a couple weeks ago can't wait to try it.

• 2 months later...

I picked up the Eskimo propane in an 8" a few weeks ago, finally retiring my 30+ year old Eskimo two stroke. I love it so far, I've drilled over 50 holes with it..... starts great, quiet, etc. As somebody said, mixing gas was never an issue, maybe 2 gallons per season, the big thing I like about it though is that I won't have to deal with any gas spilling or leaking, but then again, the other one was over 30 years old, probably wouldn't get that as much with a newer two stroke. 

I always have extra tanks with me for the heater, so I like that aspect of it as well, just all around easier fuel handling. 

• The title was changed to propane ice augers
  • 8 months later...

I have used a Pro 4 for 5 seasons now and I love it!  We do a lot of fishing up on LOW and carry the auger on the front of the Razor! Never had any issues up to -20 degrees.  I have heard some horror stories about freezing up, but so far so good!  Good Fishing!