• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does powder go bad

Fish to Win

So tonight I had a nice Doe at 35 yards, pulled the trigger on her and all I heard was the 209 primer flame up but not the Triple7 pellets. I put a new primer in and the same S*** happened again. The pellets are 3-4 years old and are stored inside and in the black snap case it came in. I have not shot any of it since I sited my gun in 3-4 years ago and it worked fine then. My whole gun/breach was completely clean before hand. My question is, Does the powder/pellets get old or get moist over time?? Thanks-

Alls it takes is humidity and they can be altered, 3-4 yrs of sitting and humidity from time to time is all it takes. in a controlled envitonment like a gun safe humidity control, I dont think powder gose bad. not sure really but, what we think is a dry environment can have alot of moister in the air, even if we cant feel it, 3 yrs of sucking it out of the air can be all it takes. I know guys that dont unload after the hunt, just remove the primer, then get into a warm vehicle for the ride home then back out to hunt again in the warm vehicle and that condensation will leack down the barrel to the powder. buy new pwoder.

I'm not surprised that had happened with yesterdays weather. I had that happen three times and what I learned from it is that if its cold in the morning and it warms above the freezing make through out the day I will change the powder for the evenings hunt, a couple of primers fired through a empty barrel before I head to stand works to dry out barrel

All it takes is the smallest amount of moisture to screw up the powder and click there goes the deer and one of the worst sinking feelings I have ever had was caused by the powder not going BOOM like its suppose to.

I had one fizzle on me a few years ago, still using the same box of powder. It was a damp and misty morning when it didn't fire. I blamed it on the weather, not the powder. The powder has been working fine since. Maybe do a few test shots?

I think you should shoot the muzzleloader every year before season starts, 1 to make sure it is still sighted in and 2 to make sure everything is working. These things are a lot more finicky than picking up your Remington 700 and shooting factory ammo!

Those black storage boxes are not air tight like a container with lose powder and a gasketed lid. All powder will absorb moisture from the air. You did not say where your package of powder was stored if in a basement it most likely absorbed some moisture. Did you clean the flash hole in the breach just cleaning the face of it does nothing the fouling from the last time you fired could attract moisture and expand. My brother was having mis fires and sent me his rifle. It was meticulously clean except for the flash hole it was obstructed inside I cleaned some gunk out with an old nipple pick took it to the range and it shot with the pellets he swore where bad. See if you can see through the breech plug if not clean it out and test fire. If same result buy new primers and powder pellets and keep them in zip locks, tupperware or a dry box for long term storage.

Let us know what you find out. Hopefully you get another chance at a deer

Mwal

• 2 weeks later...

Boar had a good idea for all really. In our gang, black powder users 0 misfires career, pellets = 4 which includes the last night of season to empty our old black mountain magnums.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.