• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kids wanted a fish fry Saturday night. Went out on a local lake near Cambridge and eaily caught plenty of sunnies in short order. All caught in the 2 - 3 foot depts along shore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Monster

Caught a bunch of jumbo perch in that spot probably 8-10 years ago. I try that spot every spring and have let to experience it again. I haven't had time this spring but its nice to see you can still catch a few fish there.

Mark

• Thumbs Up 1

Skogman gave up some nice sunnies as well as a few walleyes on Saturday. The downwind side of the lake and weedlines were key. Sunnies were caught while trolling for walleyes, all in 10 fow or less.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

No Monsters but yesterday. I think the Monster Bulls might still be sitting on the beds. I did not go up and check to see, because I do not fish them on the beds. So I was catching females and some smaller males. Also the males I caught did not look like they have been fanning beds, because they did not show the wear on their bellies. This makes me think they were not biggest males in the lake. Kind makes me excited to get out after the spawn to hunt for some Monster Bluegill.:D

Any fish Biologist know about this. I have caught Males from other bodies of water where the males bellies showed signs of wear from fanning the beds.

6-10-2015-6.jpg

6-10-2015-3.jpg

6-10-2015-4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 month later...

I can not wait for ice season and to get after some monster bluegills again. I need to focus on finding some new things to try to trick that 10.5 inch bluegill into biting.

ditto, I think I have about 3 hours in fishing for gills this summer. sad.....  LOL  

it helps to have a boat.  lol 

• Thumbs Up 2

I should get my dad's duck boat out  and just put my old 1941 Johnson 5 horse  back on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another good one from the other day that went over 10. Why wait for ice?

WP_20150804_024.jpg

patty catch that one for ya??  ;)  

• Thumbs Up 2

No, she caught the bigger ones as usual. That's just a baby that Tommy caught all by himself.

She only lets me put her fish on the tape. The one she's holding went 10.5".

DSCN1344 (1024x768).jpg

DSCN1340.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a good looking boat 

Welcome to FM :)  You must be the boat owner? lol 

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome aboard Andy. We need to get back on the water soon. There is a good big bluegill bite going on now, that isn't nearly as far. Give me a call anytime.........

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome aboard Andy. We need to get back on the water soon. There is a good big bluegill bite going on now, that isn't nearly as far. Give me a call anytime.........

I have a hitch... ;)

Thank you for telling me about this website and yes we'll have to but this time leave my aunt home

That's a good looking boat 

Careful what you say. she visits the site from time to time,

Glad I can at least say I taught her the finer points of the sport. It makes losing easier....LOL!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have noticed a few things that will be added to my collection of gear the first thing will be the XL Maki Mino which is 2 inches compared to the 1 inch ones. I made a good sized order of the regular size Minos and enough XL ones to get me through the winter. 

The next thing added to my gear will be the drill auger conversion plate. It is ordered and I will be picking up a drill as soon as get confirmation that my order has been approved.  I think this will be much easier to use during the early season than my gas auger. 

I am going to be watching the stores and for another ice rod for using plastics. Seeing my pretty pink one broke last winter. I was trying to get a photo of fish as it slid off my leg and landed on the tip breaking it about 1/3 of the way down. 

I have added lots of new jigs to my collection. 

I am thinking of adding a couple more inline reels as well. 

As for lakes go I have 3 lakes I need to make to sure hit for a monster Bluegills. I hope to see some of you on the ice!!

Good Luck and stay safe

• 2 weeks later...

C & R 'ed a 10.5" + last week while chasing crappies & watching the sun come up. Forgot how hard those big boys fight.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question for you 'gill hunters-I used to fish with this guy and we would get nice gills out of this lake that is only 10ft deep. We would fish in only a few feet of water. Dark lake, anyway we went out there sunday and caught small fish and one 13'' crappie. Not sure what we did wrong, wondering if we used bobbers years ago think maybe we didn't.  Sunday we also went out to the basin (where we found the crappie) How would you fish a lake like that? Can you use jigs like you were walleye fishing? Do 'gills ever hit baits right on the bottom?

• Thumbs Up 1

You mostly likely did nothing wrong big gills can be picky. Depends on the weed lines or if a bug hatch was going in the basin. I would fish around the weed lines to start and work deeper. You can use bigger jigs like walleye jigs but for gills I use the smallest sized buckshot rattle spoons. Gills will eat a bait off the bottom so will crappies.

• 1 month later...

Okay now that I have got some good hunting in it is time to get rest of ice gear ready! Next week I will be getting my new clam drill plate and auger. I am pumped up to get out on early ice with that set up. I think I order 2 more rods from clam as well and a bunches of the Maki Minnow in white with read flakes.  The quest to get a gill over 10.5 is still on. I have some winter kill lakes that need to be checked out this winter. O I can not wait to see how these lakes have done. 

-Make sure to put new line on your ice rods

-Go through all your gear and make a list of what you need or want

-Fire that auger up

-Fill the propane tanks

-Start watching for the first ice

-Get the safety gear ready

-Be ready

Fishin' is better than wishin' MM-keep launching that boat, marking spots, checking out ideas. Going to be a long wait for ice is my hunch-here it is Nov. and we still have not had one hard freeze yet. I have been catching crappies and 'gills on a S. Mn lake. Gills have been hitting a light orange hair jig packed with euro larve.

No worries I as I still have to get after the diver ducks and chase deer for couple weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Getting things ready!! Next up putting new line on the reels.

Drill Plate.jpg

Jigs-1.jpg

Jigs-2.jpg

Maki Plastics.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1