• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

solar panels and led lights, furnace, tv and bat run time

JimW

I have wheel house I just bought. Dealer said with a solar panel and 2 batterie's I can run forever which I am not sure I believe. I will purchase solar panel. I am also thinking replacing the bulbs with led vulbs to conserve energy. Plan on running tv at night for a few hours a night. What has been your experience with panels and run time?

I have the same set-up, two batteries and a inverter, 75 watt solar pannel, on board charger and a Honda 2000 gen. The solar is nice to keep batteries charged when you're gone but it won't keep up for me, need to run generator

If my math is correct, a 150watt solar panel from Northern Tool ($400 + controller) measuring 2'x6' will replace roughly 12.5 amps per hour of perfect sunlight. In the winter there could be 0 hours of sunlight, or maybe up to 8. If we take 4 hours as the average you could expect to replace 60amps per day.

Most of the furnaces are 3-8 amps, with the majority of them being closer to 3. Your furnace will run about 20-30 minutes per hour, so that alone will eat up 24-36amps (on the low end) per day. There is a big draw when the furnace first starts, so it'll likely be higher.

With the LED lights, you can expect to do about 1-2 amps per hour. If you run lights for 8 hours per day, you are looking at another 12-16 amps.

Radio & TV would use more. I would guesstimate the radio at 1-2, and the tv at 2-4, but someone else may know better than me.

Since the furnace runs for at least 16 hours without sun, the lights run for about 6-8 hours after dark, and radio and TV some after dark, I would expect by morning your batteries would be getting down to around 50% or lower. You have to hope you have a sunny next day, or you may run out of juice after that first day if the batteries don't get topped off. Also discharging below 50% is said to be hard on batteries.

You could either add a 2nd solar panel, a 3rd battery, or a gas generator to help things along.

It seems to me that everyone that builds or gets their first nice house wants all the trick stuff in it. I have a friend that put in all kinds of electronics that run off a windmill and a solar panel. Eventually, usually after the first year, it becomes apparent that a generator is a nessecity and usually running anyway and all the trick stuff is never used. I know I'm not the end all authority on fish houses but I've had quite a few, and I don't even see a need for 12 volt anymore. Thats only me though, others love their 12 volt systems. I don't think most understand electronics well enough to do all the things they try for with all the inverters and cross wiring on some houses. It's tricky stuff and melting wires cause fires.

My father has a 2'X3' solar panel that he bought off hsolist for $150 with the controler. His is mounted on the side of his house and charges from the minute the sun comes up till it goes down even on the shaded side of the house just from the reflection off the white snow. Even on a cloudy day at dawn it is charging approx 2.5amps, at its peak he says it will be up around 10-12amps. He generaly fishes Thursday - Sunday nights every week. He has all LED lights in his house, no fans, and a 19" TV and claims he has not hooked up a battery charger this year. My house will have one on next year.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I am trying to determine if purchasing the solar panel is worth it. I thought that might make it so I dont need to bring generator. Sounds like if I am there more than one night I would need a generator. How long do you run your generator each day to make sure your batteries stay charged? Can't you just start your truck and charge thru the 7 prong plug?

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I am trying to determine if purchasing the solar panel is worth it. I thought that might make it so I dont need to bring generator. Sounds like if I am there more than one night I would need a generator. How long do you run your generator each day to make sure your batteries stay charged? Can't you just start your truck and charge thru the 7 prong plug?

Depend on if your house is wired for it and if your truck is set up for it. Only down side is if you forget to unplug from truck it will drain that battery.

Get quiet Honda or Yamaha and let it go. Get a noisy one and the neighbors will shut it off for you. It's just so much easier and no fire hazard. I saw a few houses this year with melted wires.

My personal opinion is that for a few more $ upfront, you have a lot more flexibility with the gas generators. If you use the house to camp, you never know when you'll be parked under trees, if the electricity goes out in your house, if a neighboring fish house needs to charge their batteries, etc.

I run my Yamaha 24/7 despite not needing to. I only burn about 3-4 gallons of gas for a whole weekend, and it's nice to be able to plug in phones, flashers, etc whenever I need rather than running outside to fire up the generator.

Thanks for the great info. I will bring my generator on the first few trips to see if it is needed. I will wait on solar panels. I did buy an ac tv. Noticed input was a 12v. All my years of saving old power cords worked as I had a 12v cord that fit and worked perfect! Now I just need to mount it. Can't wait to use this thing. Will try it camping soon. Thanks again for all the suggestion.

Jim

LED lights will save you a ton if you're using the lights a lot. I would still bring a generator along with the forced air furnace though if you're spending more than 12 hours out there. Might not need to run it very often, but just one more added piece of mind (assuming it's a reliable generator).

I have done day trips on LOTW staying at a motel and just plugged the house in every night once you get back to the motel. Nice fully charged battery and no generator needed.

I take the generator with every trip and run it late afternoon and evening while I watch tv. Have 2 batteries and I do not have any issues with power. I like the fact I do not have to be concerned if the sun will shine enough to charge my batteries so the furnace runs all night long.

Also nice as suggested above, great for charging flashers. Iphone and whatever else I have along if it needs a charge.