• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

24 volt Lund wiring ???

FOOTDOC

Question

I have a 95 Pro V and am converting from a 12 volt minn kota to a 24 volt minn kota. I understand the connection between battery one and battery two but am confused by the wires lund has provided. From the front bow of the boat, I have two main wires in two separate conduits. In one conduit, I have the traditional red and black and in the other conduit, I have a black with a blue stripe and an orange. So, which set of wires do I use to hook up the system or does it matter? There are also a few thinner gauge wires present but I think these are for the battery charge indicator. I prefer to use the battery charge indicator from MinnKota. Thanks for you advice.

6 answers to this question

Footdoc it dose not matter which wires you use I myself went with the red and solid black just wire your plug to match the outlet

I believe that lunds are wired for 24 volts. I think that you put the red and black one one battery and then the orange and blue strip on the second battery. The plug that you plug the trolling motor in with will then put the batteries in series. I believe that is correct. Correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

You are correct the wires are meant to go one each battery letting the minkota plug to put the wires together. All lunds were wired this way up until the year 2001. That year boat was built to have the batteries in parrelel in the boat. You can wire it the other way direct but the boat was wired with four wires to the bow so the trolling motor plug would do the rest. If you need more help just email and we can help

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Thanks Jim for the advice and I believe you are correct. Now, I only have two wires coming from the back of the boat for the trolling motor so does this mean the stern plug is only 12V? I also still have the pigtail that came with my boat and it has 3 wires -- black, orange and red. So, when hooking this pigtail to the new minnkota, I assume I hook the black to black, and the red from the minnkota to the orange on the pigtail. Sound right? One more thing... OK, I have two batteries in the battery compartment in the hull, not counting my starting battery in the back of the boat. So, after hooking up the front trolling motor receptacle for 24 volts, can I simply take a new black wire off the negative of one battery and a red wire off the positive of the same battery and add a 12 volt outlet for accessories? I would like to have a cigarette lighter adapter for my gps and night spotlight etc. Thanks for your advice!

I had this same problem when I was wiring my Pro-V. All you have to do is change the plug on the trolling moter. The plug will do the conversion for you.
If your plug has 3 wires you connect the black to black and use the orange for 24v and red for 12v, or is it the other way around. Then just tape off the unused wire.
mw

If you only have two wires it really does not matter which way you do it as long as it is the same at the batteries. The black is negative and the red is positive. If you are using a 24 volt trolling motor the black is red and the orange is for the positive. the negative of one battery should go the trolling motor negative and the positive of the second battery goes to the positive of the trolling motor. A jumper then would go from the positive of battery one and the negative of battery two. If you want to put a cig lighter in there it needs to be wired only to one battery. If you do that you will probably get electical bleed through on your electronics while the trolling motor is running. Good luck

------------------
JIM PAYNE