• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eye repair on rod...

TrapMan13

What's the best way to repair the little dings and scuffs in the eyes of your rods? I noticed a couple of mine are starting to get pretty bad, to the point where my line is consistently starting to fray..

Thanks!

Chad

for the tippy top you would need to gradualy heat the tip until the glue melts and pull off the old guide. get a new tip guide try to match the size and weight as best as you can to not affect the casting feel. USE HOT GLUE GUN STICK for the glueing ONLY!!! reason being its not permanent and is quick and easy to glue reheat and what not to align the guide if its off or to take off in the future for replacing, gorilla glue and super glue will not come off with simple heating and will probobly frost up the tip of your rod and make it brittle. just glue on the new tip, let kool and set then just peel off excess glue. Thats all I know as for replacing guides middle guides and stuff probobly need profesional work

Odd's are you are going to have to replace those line GUIDES if they are fraying your line. Without knowing what kind of GUIDES you are talking about it's hard to say, but assuming you are talking about some sort of composite, like aluminum oxide or similar, they can develop tiny cracks and chips. You can't really "repair" them. Replace them. You can do the job yourself if you wish or track down a rod builder or a shop that does rod repair and they can do a new set of line GUIDES and a TIPTOP.

I would agree to replace all the guides and tip top.

If you have never wrapped guides and epoxied them, it may be best if you have a rod builder do it if the rod is worth the added money. If it is a less expensive rod, you may be better off cash wise to get a new rod.

I would guess it will cost at least a $100 minimum to buy good guides and have them all wrapped and epoxied.

Thanks everyone. And yes guides was the word I was looking for! I was at a loss for words at the time. I appreciate the advice!

Chad

Since we're on the subject I had one of those ring thing's on the top guide pop out.It appears that it was pressed in there when it was manufactured .Should I just replace the whole guide/tip?