• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2013 River Conditions for Spring Fishing!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoyalDutchman

• goose89

• meathunter

• elusivecrappiecatcher

The open water stretches to Silver Creek now but is only open on the Canadian side at that location.

Pumped for the weekend zoo!

A zoo it is, worst I have seen in 22 years. I can say I have never been buzzed so close and so many times in my life. Ridiculous, I know I have a camouflaged boat, apparently that has the best camo pattern in the world, but who could miss my bright yellow Artic Armor coat? Maybe they thought I was a marker bouy.

Monday as my fishing partner was working down the line to the ramp to load me out a guy pulls out and smacks my trailer with the front of his truck, moving it over several feet. Then he backs up and smacks again, before finally making the corner. Then he pulled away to get in line. No attempt to stop, make sure nothing was damaged or even wave, he just left. Luckily a witness pointed him out to me once I was on shore so we could chat about the situation. Another first for me on the Rainy.

Fishing was decent with some dandy walleye for us, heck we boated multiple walleye over 25” on Monday, but it is no longer worth it for me. I put the walleye rods away until spring just for safety’s sake alone. After the intoxicating effect of spawn run walleyes has come to an end I will find my way back up there for sturgeon. Then I don't have to worry about being boarded by a complete 620 or an angler overloaded tin with its bow skyward.

Good luck up there and be safe, I’m going prairie turkey hunting instead.

Hey Everyone! Sorry I didn't get time to post on here yesterday but Vidas Landing just past ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver is open to big boats. It opened up yesterday morning. Yesterday morning we could see open water just around the bend by our house. This morning it is a lot closer and hopefully by the end of the day it will be past us.

Hey johhnyP thanks for the heads up, sorry to hear about your problems! It stinks to have "those people" to worry about when your trying to fix your early spring itch. We are going to give er a shot this weekend and will let you know if we see anything of the same!

Good luck, fishing is gaining speed in my opinion. I think this last week is going to be pretty good.

As for myself I am getting older or the crowd is getting younger, but I think I finally burnt out on the Rainy River Walleye deal. After a couple decades of watching it go from guys in duck boats wearing one piece snow suits and grandmas knitted hat to the, "must go now" rush hour scenario it has become, I am ready to give up my 5 am parking spot to someone else that wants it.

Although we did come to a realization from direct observation. If you wear a floppy eared hat you are a good guy. Guys with floppy eared hats where friendly as heck, waving, stopping to talk, joke and so on and so forth. Not sure why but it was a 100% floppy eared friendly. smile

Johnny P,

Question/theory for you, with the water current so slow do you think the walleyes were more scattered compared to a faster current? We struggled to catch fish, the only good bite we had was under the ice on the coldest day Tuesday morning, your thoughts???

By the way I only wore my floppy rabbit hat for the drive in the mornings so thanks for the compliment... grin

MR

I am no river expert by any means but my thought was we normally look for slack water or current seams on the river for the big lake fish to rest in. No current, low water levels and cold temps made the lake fish act like, well lake fish. Boat shy, light and noise sensitive and really not in the mood to sprint and spawn. Fish milled all over as current had little effect on them. Did ya notice nobody was catching fish from under the ice pack edge until we started ramming it with our boats? It was dark and safe with minimal current under ice. They didn't have to leave or want to leave the safety of the ice...until we started crashing into their bunker.

There is also a reason guys with a good long cast into the north wind are picking up big fish. wink

You've pretty much described why I no longer go, it just isnt worth it to play bumper boats and then deal with the frustration at the ramps. People just seem to loose their mind...Im serious, people get just fricken stupid just to catch fish! And man are some people selfish, not everyone..but some are over the top! Its not a plesant expierence anymore so I'll just wait until after opener and enjoy myself and still catch fish. I do however still like to read about it and remeber the good times I have had in the past.

So for us sturgeon folk what is the best guess for most Western launch open by next weekend?

So for us sturgeon folk what is the best guess for most Western launch open by next weekend?

Vidas.

MR

Timbermill for sure, possibly Wheelers: Even though there were ice fisherman there today, it should be "go time" : A 50 degree day would ensure it. I wish I was going next weekend, not this.....but we booked our trip months ago. Heading up in the morning to fight the crowds. The fact that my entire flat of crawlers froze solid, and are worthless, lends a bad omen to this trip already! Guess we will be picking up more bait in the morning!

Forecast for Baudette by the National Weather Service, Starting Sunday morning 7-14" of snow fall. Have fun making snowmen in your boat and snow forts.... grin

All seriousness, I wish I was going back up again. mad

MR

There is open water in front of our house this morning, last night there was a still quite a bit of ice infront of us. We just had a room open up for tonight (Friday the 12th)

I agree, the jerks seem to really come out. Big boats going full throttle 20 feet from your boat yet half the river is open with no boats. I am old school and respect the rights of others. Usually young guys with big boats they likely can't afford and have many months of payments, Moreover, see them running up and down the river without the sign up " look at me, arent't I cool". Think about the discomfort of the guys sitting out there in little boats, they may be worried about their safety.

A second jab is those that pull up close to other boats and then crack up the volume of CD's like Van Halen. Where is the respect of others that want a nice old fashion and natural fishing experience? If you want to listen to loud music stay in your truck and enjoy it, don't ruin it for many others.

Let's put the sportsmanship back into fishing.

I thought i was the only one that was complaining about guys flying down the river. I am pretty new to the Rainy during pre spawn but this year was crazy busy. I've always been pretty cautious during river travel and even more so when there can be large sheets of ice just below the surface.

Omg chill out, I've been fishing up there for about 15 years on the river and either I don't see the things people are whining about or just don't let it bother me. Its always a zoo at the acess' and on the river every year thats just the nature of the beast.

I actually think things go pretty smooth up there, considering there is probably 1000 boats on the river at any given time.

I have bigger issues in the summer when were talking maybe 20-30 boats trying to get unloaded or loaded at the local access around home thats where the idiots are, cant back up a trailer, cant load boats then throw in the tubing, skiing, wakeboarding people on the water man this river thing is a piece of cake, everyone up there knows what they are doing.

Everyone up there is there to have a good time, if you catch fish that is a bonus. people have been cooped up all winter dreaming of this day to just get out on open water, try their boats out and let their hair down.... let them have fun.

if you dont like it dont go pretty simple but dont come here complaining about a few minor issues.

Oh and why is it you always thing it's young guys that have the big exspensive boats and why do you think that young guys can't afford these boats???

Anyway just got back from the river and had a blast, thank you to all the people that were helping others load and unload, just helping someone else winch their boat on is much appreciated

AND THANKS FOR THE OLD GUY GIVING RIDES TO AND FROM THE ACCESS I TIPPED HIM WELL EVERYTIME I GOT A RIDE!!!

Saturday there was some young boys giving rides at birchdale in a golf cart. At 6:30 pm we were ready to load up and one of the guys in our group got a ride from them to our trailer; he asked the boys how much they had made in tips, they said $11.

He then asked them what they were trying to get, they responded "well we were hoping to get enough to buy a vide game". Our buddy gave them a $20 and made their day.

I can't believe that a half mile of trucks and trailers only tipped $11 all day. That's pretty sad boys.

that ain't just sad that is plain pathetic when you think about how much is spent in gas/bait/beer alone!!!

Amen to that, if I wind up using the ramps outside of Baudette this weekend (which is looking likely, %&*$(&#$)(*%#(&%(&@)!!!!) I'll definitely make sure my party gives them a good tip. Of course if someone wants to go out and blow the ice up with some dynamite or something I'd give them a better tip! Fingers crossed lol.

Right On eye huntr. Still amazes me how well everyone did backing down the ramp this spring. What's the problem with the big Rangers? Id rather have one of them go by me at 60 mph than a sixteen foot Lund with four guys in it slow down to be courteous and create three times the wake.

Enjoyed a great weekend on the river. Weather was not bad saturday fishing was slow to start but picked up through the day. Vidas landing went fairly quick for how many rigs were out. I would have to disagree with the young kid/boat comment, We saw our fair share of speed racers of all ages. Had a great time cant wait til May opener.

Hopefully heading up sturgeon fishing next weekend. Does anyone have an idea if the river will be open to Wheelers Point by then after the cold weather and snow we are experiencing? Thanks.

wish i could join ya aaron. i thonk youll have open water by then if some of the smaller feeder rivers open up.

The River was open about a few miles west of town yesterday when we went to the airport and checked on it. As for landings I would say Timber Mill should be open and will be the furthest one west that is open otherwise Vidas is for sure. Just a reminder that Sturgeon season if you are wanting to keep one opens April 24th, 2013 and closes May 7th, 2013 then reopens again July 1st-September 30th. Then it goes back to Catch and Release only. May 16th- June 30th is closed though just a reminder.

We would like to thank everyone for a wonderful Pre-Spawn Season even though fishing wasn't like it normally is. It was wonderful to see some familiar faces and meet new people.