• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Cool Cats 2013

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mark your calendars for what has turned into one of the highlights of the hard water season!

Host: Borch

When is the event

Sat Jan 26th 2013 7:30 am

What will we be catching?

Channel Catfish with an occasional Walleye,Crappie and Rock Bass mixed in. Cat fishing through the ice has become very popular and the Horseshoe chain has become the place to be to do it.

Where is the event?

Cool Cats will be on the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes located near Richmond/Cold Spring MN. Roughly 1.5 hrs Northwest of the Twin Cites. From 94 take 23 west to Richmond and then take 22 south to the lake.

We will be fishing the Methane or "Meth" hole. There are two popular points of access. The best one to use for vehicles is the winter access. Please monitor this thread closer to the event to confirm current ice conditions.

coolcats.jpg

What should I bring?

First and foremost, a big smile, because you will be using it a lot smile

Typically we use basic walleye gear for catching the cats. We will set up one pole with an Ice Buster bobber or equivalent and a glow red teardrop with the other pole rigged with a jigging spoon/minnow head. Lindy 1/16 oz Rattlin Flyer in glow red is favorite among the catters.

A spring bobber has proven to be helpful for the light bite days.

Click Chain Cat Report & Techniques for current reports and techniques.

Also as in years past, we will be having a potluck at noon, so bring along a favorite food item to share. Hopefully we can work out frying up some catfish as well.

Bring along the whole family and stay for a couple hours or stay all day.

We will get a bunch of holes punched for those that don't have an auger. If you need some help getting set up just ask.

Click here for a recap of last year's Cool Cats Event

Hope to see you all there!

Copy courtesy of dtro. Thanks Darren.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• DTro

• Rick G

• NKLCOLT1911

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw shucks. Think I was on Mille Lacs last year during the event, and have a sleeper booked again this year for that same weekend. Made it 2yrs ago though! Good luck!

I just added it to my calendar. can't wait to get out there again. now let's hope the ice will be safe to drive on by then. I guess we could always go to long lake as a back up. Jeff as it gets closer if there is anything we need for this event let me know and I will try to get it and bring it.

i'll have to see if i can get the weekend off. this should be great way to put some faces with names and catch some cats.

Would love to be there but I will be in Florida fishing redfish and snook that week, maybe a few sea trout mixed in too. Gonna try to hit the chain before then though.

Sounds great!

Watch for more details.

Going to make it this year.

If you need a big fillet board to fit your tailgate Borch, let me know.

I can also bring a deep fat fryer if yours has troubles. Anuything else, just ask.

Um, dude......explosions ROCK!!!!!!

okay yes they do except when they include burnt beards. glad he didn't get hurt too bad(except for the beard) when that happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to HSO.

Our get togethers are not tournaments, albiet there may be a side bet or 2 happening.

No fees, no rules meetings, we get together to have a good time, catch some fish, eat good food, goof off, meet other members, and just flat out have fun.

This sounds like a blast an am very excited about it? Is it possible you know of a bait store near that area so that I don't need to bring bait? Would rather get it down there!

Welcome to HSO Catfish Viz! Sound be a blast as always. Bait shops in Richmond and Cold Spring. A chunk of minnow or chicken liver seem to work pretty well most days.

Well we're getting close to the event date and I thought it would be a good idea to get talk going about what people are planning on bringing to the potluck and get a rough head count. I should also have some name tags and markers.

We also are looking for a little help for items that make this event go smoothly. I'll bring tables, fish fryer and fish batter/oil.

Could use a couple trash cans with bags, fillet knives, cleaning boards, cook stove, paper plates, paper towels, plastic utensils.

I can't wait to see everyone there!

Looks like I'll have 2 in my group.

Ice is in pretty good shape, people driving full size trucks back to the spot.

I got the paper towels and the paper plates covered.

I will be spending the night in the wheelhouse so I will be there pretty early grin

I'm going to try and make up another batch of cat balls. smile

I've refined my recipe a bit and you all can be my beta testers.

I am a little PO'ed something came up(it was beyond my control) and I can't make the event this year. Planning to make up for it by coming up this saturday and next saturday to try to ice some cats. Have Fun everyone and please post pictures.

Cat balls = yummy!!!! grin

I'll take care of a Coleman cook stove. Yous guys want another pot of world famous chili?

Thinking about trying to make it out. Been watching these "Cool Cats" threads the past few years but either something comes up or the ice is dicey. I've never been to the chain or catfishing before. Just wondering if I could drive my F150 from the "Winter Access" to the "Meth Hole" or if people just use ATVs/Sleds?

Cat balls = yummy!!!! grin

I'll take care of a Coleman cook stove. Yous guys want another pot of world famous chili?

heck yea that chili was great!