Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
BuckmasterG

Broken Boat Transducer

BuckmasterG

Long story short. Was getting my boat all ready for opener yesterday and knocked my knee against my transducer. Looked down and it busted off right where it connects to the plastic piece that the bolt runs through...

I crazy glued it back together, but have concerns:

1. Will the crazy glue be strong enough once I get the boat running through water or will it just bust off right away?

2. Will the crazy glue affect the transducers reading? (shouldn't even really be on the transducer only where it connects to that other plastic piece)

Or do any of you have any other better suggestions or what it costs to replace it? It's a cheaper locator believe its an Eagle, so if I had to replace the transducer for a steep cost prob would splurge and by a whole new locator. Thanks in advance.

Finlander

I had a similar break and I fixed mine by drilling a small hole thru the plastic above the transducer where the break was and the part that attaches to the boat. Then I threaded a piece of aluminum wire thru the pieces and cinched the two pices together but first took some arrow fletching glue before cinching. Worked great! After a year with the fix, it still holds!

laportian

I broke my transducer off last year. The glu thing did not work for me. I ended up using jb weld on it. It is still holding up. As I was putting it together I put the bolt that goes thru the bracket on it so it could set up on it.

BuckmasterG

wow great to know that I'm not the only one!! I like both your ideas. Finlander- my buddy actually had that same idea but we didnt know how we would be able to run a bolt/screw through it and yet still be able to move it up/down or even just keep it in one place. I understand most of it did you still run it through the center of the bracket thats connected to the boat (just with a new smaller hole) or to the side of that bracket? (that was my buddys idea)

Laportian- I actually have some JB weld on hand, that worked on plastic?? Its holding right now with glue, do you suggest throwing some JB over the top?? I was a little confused by last part of your statement.

If you guys have pictures of the finished product that would help a ton too thanks!!

amateurfishing

when i bought my new fishfinder last year i was too cheap to pay for installation and too chicken to drill holes in my boat myself to attach transducer....had 2 part waterproof marine epoxy laying around, 1 small round ball later, all done, no problemos....now this could be a very stupid idea.....but i did it.

amateurfishing

when i bought my new fishfinder last year i was too cheap to pay for installation and too chicken to drill holes in my boat myself to attach transducer....had 2 part waterproof marine epoxy laying around, 1 small round ball later, all done, no problemos....now this could be a very stupid idea.....but i did it.

put the marine epoxy on transducer mounting bracket and press on transom, check for levelness

BuckmasterG

Thanks Amateur, but its not that mounting bracket that is broken, its the actual plastic above the Transducer like Finlander mentioned. Clean break right in half, gotta get it figured out and secured by Saturday crazy

Deitz Dittrich

I know in a lot of bass boats the tranceducer is mounted inside the boat in the bottom of the boat.. you mount it in epoxy or calking.. Maybe this is an option for you?... or buy a new Ducer? Problem fixed then right?

amateurfishing

not sure exactly sure what ur talking bout but could u epoxy your actual ducer to the plastic piece that it broke from?

BuckmasterG

Thanks guys, and yes Amateur thats probably the best short time fix solution. I mentioned in my very first post that I have used crazy glue so far, throwing some epoxy over it prob would do the trick!

Waiting to hear back from Laportian if his JB weld solution works on the transducer plastic (since I have some of that on hand) anyone else know??

suncruiser234

3M 5200 is the best adhesive to use for under the waterline. JB weld comes in a close 2nd. The only problem with the 5200 is it takes 7 days to fully cure.

lotsofish

JB makes a "Marineweld" which is water, chemical, oil, and acid-proof. I think your crazy glue might be fine though. I did the same thing on my old transducer, it broke right where the bolt goes through when I beached it on too shallow of a shoreline.

BartmanMN

3M 5200 is the best adhesive to use for under the waterline. JB weld comes in a close 2nd. The only problem with the 5200 is it takes 7 days to fully cure.

They sell a fast cure product too.

3M™ Marine Fast Cure 5200 Adhesive Sealant

This high-performance polyurethane becomes tack free in one hour and fully cures in approximately 24 hours. The adhesive sealant is extremely strong, retains its strength above or below water line. Stays flexible too - allows for structural movement. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water.

BuckmasterG

Awesome info guys thank you!

Tom7227

FYI I got the Marine grade JBWeld at an O'Reilly Auto Parts. I let is cure for 24 hours before I launched.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

I love JB Weld! The stuff is amazing. I just fixed a plastic tab that I broke trying to install a new timer in our washer. JB Weld to the rescue. Worked great.

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

I have little faith in crazy glue, unless you are gluing skin.

ottertailguy

Thanks guys for the info on the marine weld by JB. I broke mine off a couple of years back and just replaced it but kept the broken one. Three weeks ago I use the marine weld on it and have been using it on my trolling motor ever since.