Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Minnesota Fishing Report Clubs - ONLY 20 FREE MEMBERSHIPS Per Area - Join Today - FREE   03/08/2018

Fishing Minnesota has added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. Initially we are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20 members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want see detailed fishing reports/tips  around your area and will share your detailed fishing report as soon as you join, then Join Now! Some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Am coming home this weekend to do some work on the cabin on Burntside. Have not fished Burntside for trout in the summer. Have a couple hours to spare and would like to put a trout on the grill for supper. Question is where do you think they will be with the early spring? General areas and depth would be appreciated. I am somewhat familiar with the lake. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Stark

Water temps will still be pretty cold. They will be all over the water column. There will be some up shallow on the shorelines and some out roaming over deep water. 50ft-70ft is a good place to start. If you have downriggers bring them but you can get by without them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      Safety classes and field days fill quickly Minnesota’s volunteer firearms safety instructors have scheduled classes throughout the state, and now’s the time for people who want to attend to make plans to do so, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  Anyone born after Dec. 31, 1979 must take a DNR safety training course and receive a certificate of completion before purchasing a license to hunt. “Now is a great time to get your son or daughter registered for a hunter safety class,” said Jon Paurus, DNR education programs coordinator. “People who wait until closer to the hunting season risk missing out on the opportunity to enroll in a class, which could result in their kids being unable to hunt this fall.” People who enroll early have more options, including taking the class in a classroom or online. Whether students take the classroom or online course, they must complete a field day during which they practice handling firearms and learn about hunter responsibility. Field day availability is limited and classes fill up fast (some already are full), so it’s important to plan ahead. If hunters plan on hunting in another state, they should check other states’ regulations to determine if a firearms safety certificate is required before participating in any hunts. Visit the hunter education and safety classes webpage for a list of scheduled classes and education requirements for other states. For more information, call 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Annual burning restrictions coming soon In an effort to prevent wildfires, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources urges woodland property owners to compost their yard waste rather than burn it.  “Burning should be a last resort for yard waste—especially in April and May, when wildfire risk is especially high,” said Casey McCoy, fire prevention supervisor. “Composting prevents wildfires and reduces air pollution, so it’s the safest possible way to manage yard debris.” The University of Minnesota Extension offers a step-by-step guide to composting yard waste on its website. For landowners who feel they must burn yard debris, now is the time to do it. That’s because annual burning restrictions will take effect immediately after snowmelt occurs, which will happen soon in parts of Minnesota. Three inches of snow significantly reduces the chances that a fire will escape and burn unintended areas or endanger lives, homes, and neighboring properties. If a yard waste fire does escape, the homeowner is responsible for any damage it does to nearby property. Although a DNR burning permit is not required in many locations where there is sufficient snow, be sure to check local regulations prior to burning. Once burning restrictions are issued, debris burning will be banned, and no permits issued, until further notice. For information and daily updates on open burning restrictions and current fire danger, visit Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BobT
      My one and only visit to the BWCA was back in 1990 when four of us went up there over Memorial Day weekend. I don't remember where we launched but I do recall rowing against whitecaps for I believe about 7 miles with two portages. Arms were tired when we finally arrived at our campsite. The rest of the weekend was gorgeous with light winds and sunny skies. Felt like the temperatures were into the 80s or so.  Never forget day four when we were sitting on the rocks looking out over the smooth lake and thinking, we need a bath. There was still ice on shore along the south bank of the lake but as warm as it was and how inviting the lake looked......well. It was the shortest and coldest bath I had ever taken in my life!! Man that water was cold. Moral of the story is that things aren't always as they appear.
    • MN BassFisher
      Thanks guys. It's always fun checking out a new lake and having it pan out!
    • cookie129
      It was a little bit of a chore cutting the trail over to Buddy Hillmen's highway . I sware the way our landing is and the shape of the shore line all the snow that blows ends up on our landing. Its just amazing how the wind just packs it in there. It did not take long to get stuck as the snow was up to the red barons door handle. Once I could not go any further I went back around to Hillmens and was able to come from the other direction and get through . But I again got stuck going through Buddies berm. Man did we pile up snow there through out the season.
       Once that was open I headed out to start bringing the fleet home. Just taking my time I was able to bring north Carolina, north Dakota and florida home . Since the heat was still on I spent the extra time to go ahead and get them vacuumed and cleaned up from the past weekend.
       Jonny boy stayed out there in montana. While Darrin showed up for California with his buddie Mike. Big Tony showed up with his daughter Katrina. Tony was my helper years ago.
       Darrin was up to 4 or 5 last night. Jonny boy has picked up just a couple over the last couple nights, Tony and Katrina were also up to 4 or 5 with a couple bonus perch. katrina did catch a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie and has kept her streak alive, she is 9 as has caught at least one every time she has came fishing with her dad. I'm thinking she is Tonys lucky charm as one year they set up in the middle of no where and landed on a few.
       The lake has been pretty darn quiet, all though a couple young guys we met during our crappie hunt were out there. Jonny boy had invited them over to fish by us as they had only caught one that weekend. They showed up that sunday eve and after talking to them they may of landed on the mother load that sunday night before they left.
       I drove over to talk to them yesterday as they were just south of us . They had a different trailer so I did not know it was them. They have been testing some new gadgets from Garmin all winter . Turns out they have been fishing up here since they were young. Over 20 years . Two super nice guys. The equipment they are using can pick up fish in any direction from 100 feet away. It will show you if they are 10 feet away or 27 feet away. It also shows bait fish . Its all most not fair? But you still have to get them to bite? You can drill right over where you spot them. Then turn it  looking down with another setting.  If you had 8 holes you could see all you jigs . Turns out just as I had pulled up  they had landed on the mother load not 300 feet from the houses. they figured they caught over 20 . They kept 4 .  Then just like that they were gone. With there gadget they spotted them 75 feet away to the sw and moved there Yettie over there for the evening bite .
       Coming off the lake last night I'm thinking one more move should be in order. There's plenty of snow to bank Minnesota and montana. I do not have any more fishermen coming up so its time to get California home. Then I need to decide if I want to fish in old Minnesota one more night at least. I know Jonny boy will have no problem staying in montana as many nights as he can. I see it s time to check the fluids and head out to check on the guys and say good bye. Who knows maybe tonight will be the night the mother load swims underneath old minnesota  
    • DonBo
      Busy season for me.  Taking a youth for the early Wisconsin season, then another for the Minnesota opener.  My dad (94 years old this year) has season B, I'm gonna try hard to get him on another bird.   I also do a women's mentored hunt later in May.  Have an archery tag in MN, so going to try to fit that in sometime.  Also hoping to hunt Wisconsin's D season if I get my leftover tag this morning. Sure hope there'll be time for some spring crappie fishing.
    • gimruis
      Yes, I agree with Dragfoot.  The reason Mille lacs gets hit harder with pressure is its proximity to more people.  You can go there and back in a day if you live in the cities or st cloud, etc whereas you can't do that with some of these other big lakes up north. Also, hooking mortality in Mille Lacs is a bigger issue than others because its further south and its generally shallower.  For such a large lake, its not very deep and it warms up quicker.  Warmer water = higher hooking mortality.
    • gimruis
      I agree with Moose.  The eating machine in that lake is the large population of big walleyes in mid-20s inch range.  They over harvested the small eating size ones for too long.  Combined with additional predators in the lake such as expanding pike population, smallmouth bass, muskies, etc and a changing environment, all of this is working against the walleye population.  The water is much clearer out there than it used to be only 15 years ago and that does not favor walleyes, who prefer darker water over sunlight.
      The reason MIlle Lacs gets hit so hard is its so close to the metro, can go fishing for the day real easy. With lower gas prices, people are willing to drive to LOW to fish and spend the additional resources for a room. Once gas prices go back up to $4 per gallon, watch the fishing pressure change on the lakes further away. When I got my place 10 years ago, the resort I am at was super quiet in the summer to the point I was nervous they would close...not the case anymore!
    • grundy
      got mine on ebay. Do a search on ebay for tire covers.