Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Cove

having both stern and bow transducers / sonars. Is it worth it?

Cove

Those of you who have this arrangement, or have researched and decided against it, tell me how often it is really helpful to have the bow mounted sonar in addition to traditional stern location. With an 18 foot boat, theoretically it is occasionally helpful to know which side of an abrupt drop off you are on. This option ends up costing fair amount of $$ by time you get a transducer built into bow electric, or do an aftermarket, with its floppy cables. then need to worry about frequency incompatibilities with the stern mount. So, any opinions welcome.

Esox_Magnum

We run both dash and bow units on all our boats, never had any interference issues... We primarily cast so both guys both have a unit to look at....

h8go4s

"This option ends up costing fair amount of $$"

Haven't you heard? A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.

Actually, you can rig up a bow mount locator for very little money. Cabela's has 3 Humminbird Pirhana Max models under $100. I bought a used Garmin last fall for $80. And you don't have to have a trolling motor transducer, just strap the transom ducer onto the bottom of the motor with heavy duty tie wraps and run the cable up the shaft. Lots of us have done it that way for many years. It's well worth the money if you do any amount of fishing with the bow mount where you're trying to follow a weedline or other structure.

JohnMickish

Nobody said fishing was cheap. If you do get interferance from the rear sonar you can always turn it off.

SpecialK

Haven't you heard? A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into.

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

Deitz Dittrich

I have a ducer mounted to the back of the boat and another on the t-motor up front.. The reason for the second unit up front to me is simple.. I want to know exactly what I am over, not what the back of the boat is over..

EBass

I run my FL-18 up front, but my Minnkota has a built in ducer. Then my Lowrance is on the stern.

I did it that way as I was always looking back seeing how deep it was and bugging my buddy and just got sick of it after a few years.

Cove

Thanks for the input, folks.

I just got back from dealer where I ordered a Terrova with built in transducer to which I will hook up my existing Lowrance 522c.

Then I got a Hummingbird 858c for the stern. Got the gps autopilot type system so this should be interesting. Even if fish not biting I can have fun playing with the gear.

fasternu

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

You think a boat is bad? I used to have a racecar. That thing cost $150 every time it left the garage, minimum. Heck, I sold the racecar and boat a boat to save money!

PerchJerker

I have a sonar and gps located everywhere I fish or drive the boat from .... for me that is the console, the bow, and at my kicker motor.

harvey lee

I have one at the counsel and one up front by the trolling motor. Both Birds, gps-sonar -side imaging units.

I thought I would use the one up front alot but I now do almost all my trolling at the counsel and hardly ever use the bow mounted one by the trolling motor.

It is nice though if I want to get into some shallower water and not spook fish.