Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
gtaggart

Pike fishing

gtaggart

I'm planning on coming up to do some pike fishing sunday and monday. I am wondering if anyone is fishing them yet and how's it going?

yamo

I was up last weekend. 4-14 and 4-15. Big cold front and snow came in Sunday P.M. so we cut the trip early. Water temp was cool considering the speed of the meltdown, I think the cool end to March and April has slowed down what was looking like a crazy early spring. Main lake temps were 41-42 range. I would definately recommend calling Ryan Schmidt or Matt Shermoen from Border Country. Both of these guys really know Pike. For the past few years I have booked a day chasing early pike and they have really helped with our success. We fished some bays way up north of the causeway, I hit a few of the bays on the north side of Swell and fished a few bays east of the Brule. Temps in the bays were 42-45, and I could only find small areas that were over 44. Those areas held fish however. Some females were still dropping eggs. Caught about 55 in the day and half we had, most being 27-38". I would think the weather needs to warm up a bit to really get them snapping. Last year,I had a few days over 60 and later in those days the fishing got better and better. The bigger fish were not way up shallow, they were deeper, either in the center of the bays or right at the entrance. In two weeks the bite should be awesome! Give the pro's a call, book a half day and you will not regret it.

gtaggart

Thanks the reply. I have may 8th booked already with Ryan. Because of the unusually early ice out I thought I would give it a try on my own first and see what happens. Thanks again for the response.

yamo

I think if the weather would just be a tiny more consistent you would have no problem. I know guys that fish the day after the ice is out and continue in the same spots for a month or until the water temps are over mid 50's then those big fish move out. If you are unfamiliar with early season than here would be a few tips that I have picked up over the years. Don't even look at water deeper than 8 feet. Think about where you would go to hunt ducks, that is where the fish will spawn. Cattails, reeds, mud bottom shallow stuff. Most of the time I can see the bottom. Find the warmest water in the bay. You might have an 50 acre bay but the fish will be in one football field where the warmer water is. As far as baits, typical pike stuff, spoons, spinnerbaits, cranks. Early in the day, slower, longer pauses, as the water warms you can go more aggressive and erratic. Ryan will get you on them so you might want to work your arms for a week before you come up so you aren't sore!!!!