Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
sthrool

Rainy River Sturgeon question

sthrool

Just wanted to ask the experts on this site on what has been working well going after sturgeon. I will be up next week staying at the Sportsman lodge and feel I have the handle on getting some walleye but have never gone for sturgeon. Some of the questions I have are: What length of leader do you use and what pound test line of leader works best? Do you use a 5/0 circle hook? What size of sinker and how many worms. Thanks for any info that you can provide

pikestabber

I have fished sturgeon on the Rainy for over 15 years, and I can tell you this without hesitation: if it's there, they will eat it. Make sure you have a stout rod and reel. I prefer bait-cast reels because they hold up better (a good weekend of sturgeon fishing can ruin a spinning reel in no time flat, but that's not to say they will get stripped out or you can't use one...just know they don't last as long as a bait-cast...17 fish did my last spinning reel in, a nicer Shimano at that). That said, don't be shy on using heavier braids. The fish don't care if you use thick line and it's nice to have the extra durability when you hook a 60" plus. I use 50lb braid. As of a couple weeks ago, you could hold on the bottom with 1 oz no problem, but having a variety of sizes in sinkers is not a bad idea. Leader size is fairly insignificant right now in lower current. 12"-18" is fine. I use 3/0 octopus hooks and I have never had one just "come off." Some guys like circle hooks, but I like to actually set the hook. I have never gut hooked a sturgeon, either, so that shouldn't be a concern with using a larger octopus or J hook. The biggest sturgeon I ever caught came off one lone crawler that was threaded on and bunched up, but I use a couple crawlers, generally speaking. Some guys add minnows and crawlers both, others will chime in with other baits, too. The main thing is, if you aren't getting consistent action, move. If they are coming through and your bait is there, they will take it. No action? Move. There is a reason one guy in the boat might catch 90% of the fish, and a reason one boat nails them and a boat 15' away goes blank. Some may nay-say this belief, but these fish have certain routes they run, and you want to be on one of these runways (ror that reason alone, it's nice to be the guy running the boat wink ). Sometimes a small move is all you need.

Good luck.

sthrool
grin Thanks for the info Pikestabber. This has helped a lot. I hope to catch my first sturgeon next week. Now I just hope the weather changes for next week and they take the cold and rain out of the forcast.

bassbuster1

Absolutely,well put.I couldnt agree more Pikestabber

BB1

sthrool

Pikestabber- What depth are the sturgeon usually in? I have seen guys say that they are in 20-25ft and some guys say they are deeper than that.

fishuhalik

anywhere from about 12-30'. i usually like 16-20' though

Berng

Pikestabber:

Wow. What a great post. Thanks.

Berng

elusivecrappiecatcher

We got board as the walleyes were not biting for us today so we sturgeon fished. About 18" leader #3 circle hook 2oz no role. We.hammered the sturgeon today in 20 feet out by the church. If anyone was out there and saw us fighting a big one for like an hour that was us. 57" and completely destroyed the net. It was his first ever sturgeon. My old man got his first one ever as well.

The Prodigy

what section of the river does this "church" sit on? Heading up this weekend goin to the old spot I have, but thinking about trying some new spots, any suggestions?????

Ballyhoo

Wabanica Lutheren church. It is on the first big bend in the river about 3-4 miles up river from the resorts.

BartmanMN

(didn't see the post above - Duplicate)

elusivecrappiecatcher

In between Vidas and Frontier..... There is a church on the canadien side of the river, hence the name "Church".

Was NOT a good spot for walleyes though. We were all over in there trying. Alot of boats in there trying though.

TMF89

Question guys. I was always told the deeper the better for sturgies, specifically the front of the deep holes, but it appears you guys fish much shallower. Just looking for some clarification? Thanks!

pikestabber

Question guys. I was always told the deeper the better for sturgies, specifically the front of the deep holes, but it appears you guys fish much shallower. Just looking for some clarification? Thanks!

I've caught them as deep as 48' and as shallow as 8'. I think holes in general tend to hold fish. If a stretch of river is 6' and you come across a 10' hole, that can be the ticket. In 20' of river, maybe 28' is key, etc. Just finding a variance in depth from the surrounding area seems to be a good start. When they are moving and feeding, they cover all different depths, but I think the hold up in holes to rest/feed, etc.

jwmiller33

Pikestabber nailed it.... "Deep" in reference to deep holes is a relative term in reference to the surrounding area.

CaptJohnWis

One year I was fishing my favorite hump for bass and walleye using plastics. I kept getting broke off by sturgeon. Next day I went back with sturgeon gear. Got five in a row all over 50" - then it was over. Hump was 8-10 feet deep with deeper water all around.

Nice thing about deep holes is that you can often mark the fish. So you know if they are there. But give shallow water a shot if you aren't catching any deep.

sthrool

Just wanted to say thanks to all the info that was given to me when I started this post. I did catch my first sturgeon on Thursday. It wasn't huge but I had a blast landing it. It was a 44 incher. My buddy caught a 56 and a 50 incher as well. I am hooked on sturgeon fishing now. Thanks again everyone.

full-41047-19455-rainyriver2012.png

DTro

if you aren't getting consistent action, move. If they are coming through and your bait is there, they will take it. No action? Move. There is a reason one guy in the boat might catch 90% of the fish, and a reason one boat nails them and a boat 15' away goes blank. Some may nay-say this belief, but these fish have certain routes they run, and you want to be on one of these runways d.

Good luck.

This ^^^