• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

border rules?

I'm going to be making my first trip up to RR this weekend, and am looking for any help in understanding some of the rules. Does one literally draw a line down the middle of the channel and stay on the Minnesota side? Can you pitch at the Canadian shoreline as long as you don't get off your boat? Sorry for being naive, but first time fishing an international boarder water, and I don't want to be "that guy."

You need a Canadian fishing license,Rural border crossing permit,and if you are using live bait you need proof that the bait was bought in Canada,such as a receipt from the bait dealer.If you want to fish the Canadian side.

The border is hard to define unless you have a GPS with a map chip,general rule is divide the river in half and stay on the American half.

I think that is it.

BB1

Actual board (I had a discussion with a co about this as well) is dependant on the water level. You go by the halfway point from the water line on each sides shore. I bring my range finder with and error a few yards on the side of caution.

I talked with a CO about the border line this year when I was out on the water and they (local CO's) told me to go by the border markings on my GPS because that is how they determine the border when writing tickets to those who are in need of them. They also said if you do not have a GPS do not be the closest boat to the Canadian side.

State wardens tell you the GPS line, Canadian patrol say halfway. I use a GPS and a range finder to make sure. If you have neither a good way to look at it is if you fell out what shore would you swim to...better be the U.S. side.

I use to have all the crossing permits, Canadian license, stamps, cards and the entire show but found myself fishing the U. S. side the majority of the time anyways. I gave the entire deal and stay on this half of the river. Plus since the sturgeon deal closed on the Canadian side it lost a lot of its value for me.

Simple: Dont go over 1/2 way across the River. The only way you can go across is if you buy all the talk from Canada. The CO isnt going to pull up to you & tell you to move 3.7ft to the US Side, but the Canadain patrol will FOR SURE give you tickets. Ive seen the Canadians confiscate boats before.

I also use a rangefinder and my GPS as Jonny does. I try to stay at least 10ft away from the line on my GPS just to be safe.

I am up there to have fun and not to deal with a ticket or lose my boat due to the fact I was too close to the Canadian side.

Assuming you have a GPS, the border will be delineated by a clearly visible line that runs roughly down the middle of the river. Use that line in conjunction with the half way point, which ever puts you closest to the US side. Never be on the Canadian side of that line, and never be further than half way over. Ignore where other boats are going and don't use them as a reference point. As the incomparable Jonny P said, the "man overboard" rule should always apply. If you fell overboard and had to swim to the nearest shoreline, your choice at any given moment should ALWAYS be the US side.

Can you pitch your line into the Canadian side? Let me put it to you this way...if the Rainy River were completely closed to US fisherman in the spring to protect spawning females but Canadians could still fish their side, would you want them pitching jigs and sturgeon rigs over to the US side?

We fished this past weekend and we saw people get nailed for fishing the Canadian side every day we were out. It's a VERY expensive mistake to make so be sure there is no doubt about which side you are on. Getting caught without the proper documentation, no license, open containers, live bait, etc could jeopardize your ability to ever legally enter Canada let alone fish in Canada. The river is wide open from the Falls to Baudette and beyond. Why anyone would need to push it is beyond me.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Well, two years ago we had heard there was an incredible bite just out of the gap. First time we went through I noticed we were basically pushing sand with our outboard to try and stay on the U.S. side to get to the opening of the lake. Assuming my estimated error on the g.p.s. was real high, maybe we were o.k. So what is the ruling at that part of the water? Pretty darn close if you ask me. Hopefully there is leiniency on both sides when a person tries getting through the gap.

Hey Tom, aren't you suppose to be up there right now? BC

I went thru the gap this year and my gps told me there wasnt any water on the US side this year. Just an FYI.

Also, I have had no problems traveling on the CA side. It's when you are fishing is what they are looking for.

Everybody knows the best fishing is always the other side or around the next bend or where you aren't supposed to fish.

Fish no more than the middle of the river, or bank to bank and err on the side of the states and you will be fine. I was out yesterday and lots of boats were blantantly fishing on the canadian side and we saw one get boarded by either the MNR or the OPP, we couldn't really tell.

It's not worth it. They can ruin your whole trip and then some.

I meant to post a thank you before I left for the informative information. Split the river in half and stay on the US side was just fine for us. Plenty of walleye, and we saw someone boat a sturgeon which was a first for us. Going to try to make a repeat trip this weekend to see if we can do any better. I think we already missed the boat 80 fish days?

Know a fellow that was up last week and they crossed the line and the BP just happen to be coming down the river.

Long story short, cost them a grand and they had to release thier fish. They were not fishing but the boat was on the wrong side.

You can travel as there are many areas that are only passable on the Canadian side, especially this year. Just keep the line and anchor out of the water. Not at all worth the hassle or risk of fishing Canada waters without proper paperwork.

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you came accross both U.S. and Canadian LE at the same time there wouldn't be much they could do to you if you were close to the demarcation line. They can't arrest, fine or confiscate in foreign territory.

• 1 month later...

If you have to question yourself by what side you are on, then you better just get closer to the U S A ...side. You have lots of good structure on the U S...side too. Theirs lots of structure to fish on the U S side, tons of it. i never had a need for anymore. Big secret on Rainey River. The U S side has most of the shade there anyways, its beautiful for the shade. smile