• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Get the Led Out Spring Get Together

Its that time of year and we need to get this fired up again.

I used the same site as last year and I know Brad B will get stuff going as well so lets Get the Led Out...

The location will be Otsego County Park in Elk River/Otsego MN on Saturday April 28th... weather pending

full-18196-7479-googlmapscatgt.jpg

This year it is a little different and the spring rains have not hit so stay turned if conditions change the location or date. Time is tight IMO to get a decent sized group on a very crazy channel bite within our time frame. Plus they seem to pool towards shore more this time of year (IMO). This will be primarily an evening event, but ideal conditions are early evening & right after dark. As long as we are just fishing the park hours are not an issue (Thanks to the Wright County Sheriffs Department).

This should be a good time and is not just limited to only catfish. Carp & sucker are in good numbers. Before sunset is the best time. This will be nothing huge, so bringing yourself and your tackle is really the only thing needed. If you would like to bring anything else that is perfectly fine.

As far as what is needed:

A medium-heavy fishing pole of any make or style. Most times the cheap bargain mart specials do just fine. They also have combo set-ups with either spinning or bait casting reels (you choice). I would stray away from getting a combo with the line on it. The line recommended is preferably 15-30lb test mono (Berkley Big Game is a good option) or a middle weight range braid 30-65lb's like Power Pro or Suffix. I have been using some 65lb Power Pro on a Penn bait caster reel with a 7' white rod with good results. Preferably 2, 3, or maybe 4 oz. No-Roll, Bank, Diamond, half dollar sinkers, (throwing out a number) 100lb or less swivel, and4/0, 5/0, 6/0, or maybe 7/0 circle hook hooks of your liking. I prefer Gamakatsu. Then pick up some frozen or live suckers, large chubs, smelt or even crawlers (nice to always bring) from your local bait store. Then things like pop, food, chair, or whatever should be obvious grin

Any form or level of Cat Geek or Cat Geek Wannabe is totally welcome! wink

If you would like to get some great info on cat fishing, please check out our Catfish forum here at HSO: The One, the Only~HSO's Catfish Forum Click Here!

Learn more about the HSO King of The Cats Fishing Contest in the Catfish Forum by clicking below:

"Click Here":

Definitely add anything you feel I have forgotten. If just 2 guys/gals/kids show up that would be just fine. If it is 20+ guys/gals/kids that would be even better. Everyone is invited.

Thanks. smile

Thanks Gordie for posting this.

as for a time frame : I was thinking 5PM to 9PM(or when ever).

hopefully the weather will be good this year as the last two years during this event it has rained.

Hope to see a good turn out for this. If any one has questions please post here or PM me and I will get back to you.

this is more of a informal get together and we just fish and visit.

it is and should be a good time. the last two years there was rain during the day and that scared alot of people from coming. last year it turned out to be just Shack, Salmonslayer, & my self. even thou it was just the three of us it was still a fun time. hopefully the weather will be better this year.

Wish I could make it to this since I live down the road and go to the park frequently. I will be turkey hunting on the 28th though.

Wish I could make it to this since I live down the road and go to the park frequently. I will be turkey hunting on the 28th though.

I would be open to fishing the park sometime besides the 28th if you wanted to meet up and fish. The 28th was picked because of my schedule and the schedule of the upcoming opener. in the event of bad weather I would be looking to reschedule the get togehter for some time in june, july, or as late as august if need be.

Are you turkey hunting around the area cause if you are we'll be down there into the darkness so you could still join in.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a update. I plan to check the river level this week and see how things are shaping up.

also wanted to put out there that if someone wants to come to this and they don't have a rod and reel that would work for cat fishing I have 2 extra spinning setups that are strictly cat rods. they will be with me so if anyone would need to use one let me know. I also have a couple spare baitcasting set ups but they are left handed reels.

I just froze up about 2 dozen creek chub for cut bait and will talk with a couple of bait store and maybe have them save some dead suckers for us also. I really hope the weather co-operates for us.

Just wondering who's planning on attending if there is enough I may smoke up some pork for this.

I wil be there unless the crappies have moved in off my dock...will be a last minute decision though. But if i do, will bring something tasty to eat as well. I do like to eat and fish smile Seriously folks, if you have never tried fishing for cats or just river fishing from shore in general....it is simply a laid back good time and you don't need much for tackle and certainly not any expensive gear!

I just froze up about 2 dozen creek chub for cut bait and will talk with a couple of bait store and maybe have them save some dead suckers for us also. I really hope the weather co-operates for us.

Just wondering who's planning on attending if there is enough I may smoke up some pork for this.

Gordie,

if you have the chubs I won't go hunting for suckers. I had planned to get a dozen or two to share but it could be hard to find them unless I want to run to cold spring (I know a gas station/baitshop there would have them.) I will how ever pick up some liver and crawlers and will have some secret 7 dip bait with also. as for people coming it so far looks like you, me, Rick G, Carmike?, Tsande00, pushbutton ?, badfisherman?. sent a message to salmonslayer to see if he was coming(he was there last year). hope shack would stop by. I will send you a PM I need to let you know something.

Brad, the Shell in CS and Brinkys were sold out of suckers yesterday frown. Made for tough catfishing when all I could get were crappie minnows.

River should be going up grin We got something like 1.3in of rain today grin I hope we get some nice warm weather before then to get the water temp up just a bit more.

Rick,

I was refering to the shell station. last year the night before this event I drove up there and got a dozen. I thought because of them being close to the chain they had them year round. I think the shop in elk river could possible have some. that is where Shack got his from last year on the way to this. I may have to check with the shop in town because if the opener gets moved up they may have them in the tanks waiting for the northern season to open. if not Gordie has the chubs.

Brad I think the local bait store has them just for us catfishermen/women

at least they had them a couple weeks ago I'll check next time i stop by and ask.

I also know of a few creek chub fishing spots so i may go out and get a few more along with some bullies for cut bait.

I went out to where this will be held to check the river level. water is still down for this time of the year. I fished this spot for a hour and had maybe one quick tap on the line. I was at a disadvantage because I only had dip bait with. hope the weather warms up before the event.

here is a pic of the area we will be at.

full-29971-19583-100_3476.jpg

there should be enough room for everyone. if not there is another spot that is also this big just around the corner from where this is. this might be a area that we check out because the is some rocks out from this spot and it creates a current break. I was going to try in the slack water in this spot but I was to cold.

the only thing is getting down to the spot in the picture you need to be careful. here is a picture of the spot to get down to this spot.

full-29971-19584-100_3478.jpg

More rain today means the river will be up a little more. Sound like we are in for some nice weather for the event though wink. I will be down there with my buddie Bubbs aroun 2-3pm grin.

More rain today means the river will be up a little more. Sound like we are in for some nice weather for the event though wink. I will be down there with my buddie Bubbs aroun 2-3pm grin.

It may have came up a little but it still should be a usable spot. I will check it again this week. I was going to be there at 4pm but now I think I will get there by 2pm and fish for some suckers to use as cut bait for cats later that night.

This sounds like a ton of fun. I've never really been catfishing, so it sounds like a great learning opportunity. How much would you say it'd cost to get outfitted?

This sounds like a ton of fun. I've never really been catfishing, so it sounds like a great learning opportunity. How much would you say it'd cost to get outfitted?

if you wanted to get into fishing for channel cats you can put together a spinning set up for around $60.00. here is the break down

shakespeare ugly stik catfish model $30.00 (wal mart or catfish connection)

Shimano IX 4000 Spinning reel $10.00 (fleet farm)

Power Pro or Suffix Braided line 50Lb $15.00 to $20.00(depending on where you buy it)

lead sinker - I have some I could give you since I pour my own

hooks - I like Gamakatsu circle hooks in size 5/0 for channel cats and 8/0 for flat head.

if you perfer a baitcasting set up everything would be the same except the reel. for bait casting reels I prefer the Abu Garcia 6500C3 series. I use a 6501 C3 left handed model. you can get these from catfish connection for $85.95 plus shipping.

if you come out to the event I do have 2 of the above spinning setups that people can use. if you wanted to try catfishing before you spend the money to get a setup you can try one of mine during the event.

as for a flathead setup we can talk about that later since I recommend you start with channel cats first to see if you like catfishing. A flat head setup will cost more then a simple channel cat setup.

I have about 20 bucks into my set up. The cats are just not that big around here. Cheap rod and reel set up, 10 lb mono, 1/4 to 1/2 oz sinkers, swivels, circle hooks, a v shaped stick, and your good to go. wink

pushbutton is right for channel cats in this area you can get by with a cheaper setup but the one I mentioned would be if you wanted strictly a catfish setup that could handle not only the 3 to 5lbs fish that are common in this area but the larger channel cats of the minnesota river or red river of the north. it also goes down to how much you want to spend on a setup. mono can be used and is cheaper than braid but I prefer braided line for catfishing.

well I have good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news. the spot where we were going to be is now underwater. this spot now could only hold 1 or 2 people instead of all of us.

here is a picture from today. notice how much the river came up in only 6 days.

full-29971-19697-100_3485.jpg

now the good news. I took a walk along the river in the park and if we fish from were the path from the parking lot comes up to the T in the walking path and we fish from there up river there is alot of places we can fish from. this area is not my first choice but it will work so we can still have the get together.

now a side note. I can't believe how many people don't know the regs or don't care. there was a guy fishing at the spot we were going to be at and he was throwing a rapala. then there is those that have a total disrespect for fish and just throw them on the bank to rot.

here is a picture that makes me upset. if I had been there when these were caught I would have put them back in the river.

full-29971-19698-100_3495.jpg

Kinda sucks about the fish on the bank frown see a lot of that up this way too, but not near as often as 10-20yrs ago.

The river is still rising as I type this, the dam here in town is going wide open. Weather still looks good for the event though. Just need a few nice warm days to get the water temp up a bit.

Count me in mid-late afternoon. Can't wait, haven't been cattin in a while.

Tony grin should be a good time with you there. Might have to try talking Nater into coming along too wink

I was thinking the same thing. I think he has daddy duty though! I will give him a shout tonight.

I have about 20 bucks into my set up. The cats are just not that big around here. Cheap rod and reel set up, 10 lb mono, 1/4 to 1/2 oz sinkers, swivels, circle hooks, a v shaped stick, and your good to go. wink

You reel in a lot of cats even ones of decent size with this set up.

depending on where you fish sometimes the hardest thing to find is a decent V shaped stick.

Hey guys, i have a final earlier that day, and if my wife is not in labor lol I will definately be there!!!

Thats why i mentioned it under necessary, but cheap equipment.....huge bummer when you actually have to sit a hold the rod wink

What time the group is meeting? I might stop by and try cat fishing for first time. I read the posts above, I think I have a rod setup that should work for cat fishing. What kinda bait should I bring?

Thanks guys!