• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My quest for the big one!!

Steady weather for a few days now, temps in the 30's lows at night in the upper teens to low 20's.

Passed up on going with my brother, instead I went out to my house and decided I'd give the shallower water a try until dark anyways. I moved up into the 12-15 foot range and found some active bluegills.

screenshot from the video that's uploading.

full-11084-17138-zgil.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jim Panfish Uran

• eyedawg

• bak2MN

• Ice camper

I'm pretty sure I'll be heading out with bbfenatic tomorrow to try our hand at some panfish, more towards the Detroit Lakes area!

Love the videos L.B.

Where would we be w/o the spring bobber? Always nice to see others find enjoyment in releasing some of the well fed ones.

Thanks guys, heading south towards the detroit lakes area today. Hopefully we can make an awesome video today smile

Nice work on the video, Jim- good stuff!

I fished with the kids last night not too far from DL. We caught pleny, but not with a lot of size. Fun night though! My four year old daughter Morgan got her first fish on the ice on her first ice fishing trip-- pretty cool.

Well it was a darn good weekend smile

My quest brought me down towards the Detroit. Lakes area to meet up with bbfenatic to chase some pannies. It was a foggy day with a little breeze out of the west and temps in the low 30s.

I got to the lake and met Dairyman at the landing. We got out to the spot where bb was set up in his clam hub shelter, pretty cool shack. I'm thinking on getting one now. Anyways we were set up in 16 fow, bb was nice enough to use his one man fishtrap whic was awful nice of him. He pulled in a nice 9" bluegill around 3:30 and they came in in waves for the remainder of the evening. Dairy man pulled in a couple pigs in the 9.5 range, really gorgeous fish.

I also pulled in a nice big bass, fun fight on an ultra light.

We started catching crappies at sunset, they were coming in in waves also. Nothing huge but it sure was fun. Look forward to fishing with those guys again soon. I'm thinking between us out there that we caught 20 some crappies and 40 some gils.

The next day I went out on a lake I've been fishing with spotty success, I wanted to move again though. Try a different part of the lake. Fished near a bullrush island, drilled a line of holes from shallow out towardss the depths. First few holes up shallow there was nothing, until I hit 18 feet and it was lights out crazy fishing for the rest of the night. I probably pulled in 70 sunfish and the average size was respectable.

No crappies to speak of though. I had so much fun catching sunnies that I abandoned moving out deeper.

Video of the weekends quest will be up later today or tomorrow.

Nice report Jim, sounds like a fun wknd. We need to get out one of these wknds and put the smackdown. I'm guna try out some new waters this wknd.

went back out to the lake this afternoon---the wind had really picked up---thankfully there was enough snow to bank the flipover. Ended up with 4 crappies and 8 sunnies. Had to work for them tonite though

It's been a great week of fishing, and yesterday took the cake smile

Rick (creator of HSO) wanted to hit up an area lake with me yesterday so I took the day off. I met Rick and Randy at the landing at 9:00 and headed out to the bluegill zone. We had a south wind to start, it ended up being a decent day with temps in the mid 20's but a cold front was moving in, and it did move in around 5:30 or so and did affect the evening bite for me.

I drilled us a line of holes with my strikemaster ( older style ) and we got into some nice gils right away. We caught fish in waves for a while and then we decided to check out the basin areas for crappies.

We moved out into the basin area and I drilled 20-30 holes with his 8" Solo, WOW is all I can say. What an ice cutting machine. My next auger purchase will be a Solo!! Anyways, I drilled along the edge of the basin, and some right through the depths. We fished 27-40 FOW and we found the crappies, we could have sat there and caught all of the crappies we wanted to, unfortunately they were only about 5"ers grin

We went in for lunch and came back out and fished some different area. I drilled a line of holes from the edge of a drop, the best holes were in 15-16 feet of water. Randy and Rick literally caught fish for about 3 hours straight, lots and lots of quality bluegills with a few crappies mixed in,crappies weren't huge but they beat teh 5 inchers we were catching on the other side of the lake.

It was a heck of a day on the ice in my opinion, but unfortunately I still haven't caught that 11 inch bluegill or that 16 inch crappie!!

Oh, I forgot to add, I caught 2 huge bucketmouths, Randy caught 1 and I caught 2 smaller ones also. I've been catching quite a few of them lately, they are in there chasing the bluegills so I'm sure that's why I've been catching them too.

Good choice eyedawg!! That sucker cuts like crazy smile

Here is a video of me and the kids on Saturday, they got into some dandy bluegill during midday, and one bass! A couple of days off of a sever cold front, and a full moon. It was in the teens and very little wind.

Enjoy

More videos at HSOshow.com

Great work, Jim! You do a great job with the camera and good for you for getting those kids out there and putting them on fish!!!

Thanks Scoot, these are my "spawn" so I think fishing comes natural grin

Went out near the Naytahwaush area to hit up our old green fishhouse that my brother has been moving around the lake. It was a nice day weather wise, winds light out of the southeast I believe, temps in the 20's. I got to the fishhouse at 6:00.

He was in 17feet of water, not the greatest spot IMHO, but hey he is the one putting in the work moving it around grin

The bite was non-existent for 45 minutes, no marks on the Humminbird, so the minnows and jigs were just down there entertaining themselves I guess. But things can change in a hear beat, we all know that.

At about 6:45 I started marking fish about 7 feet down, I reeled up and I had a chaser smile He followed my jig up another foot and smacked it!!! But I missed him, I slapped another minnow on and dropped it back down to what looked like a few fish and they didn't want anything to do with it so I tied on a red lindy frostee and hit it with the light to make it glow like crazy and that was the ticket grin

We pulled about a dozen crappies out of that school before it moved on and never came back. It was a fun 15 minutes of fishing, and with out my Humminbird I wouldn't have seen that school of crappies up that high.

Looks like my quest for the big ones will have a good chance this weekend, bbfenatic, Bass Whacker, and possibly Dairyman will be joining me for a multi lake trophy panfish hunt tomorrow up in my neck of the woods.

We have some lakes picked out and we are going to go give it our best shot starting tomorrow at 7am!!

Went out with Jim Uran (Leechbait) and BassWhacker on quite an adventure. The ponds we fished would not be accessible in a normal winter as we were on minimum maintenance roads 4 wheeling through the Forest in Clearwater Co, 10 miles from any dirt or paved road, had to trek onto most of the ponds. Started out slow but found mid-day crappies on one, what a blast; and a few big perch! Went even deeper into the woods to another pond for evening bite and got into more, that pond was 40' deep and we were catching the crappies between 10-15' down, highly suspended. Couple pics of the ones we kept.

Thx again Jim for a memorable day!

full-39626-17783-crappieswithjim1.jpg

full-39626-17784-crappieswithjim2.jpg

This was a very fun day, Jim brought us to some really cool lakes yesterday. It was a nice change of pace from the usual lakes I get out on.

Yeah it sure was a fun adventure, great company that's for sure. I appreciate you guys coming up and putting some work in. Ill give a detailed report when I get to a keyboard.

My gal and I went out tonight and clobbered the bluegills and a few crappies tonight. What a beautiful weekend weather wise.