• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RiverPro Boats

Question

4 answers to this question

I saw this on the MN. river forum but thought I would post a reply here as more people would get a chance to read it. Jet drives have some great advantages for shallow water, and some disadvantages. First weeds and jets do not mix! They clog the intake and you lose all of your power. Make sure you have jet rake with you to clean weeds and stones out of the grate. As far as open water use goes the greater the deadrise of the hull the smoother the ride. But as deadrise increases shallow water performance decreases. Most inboard jets run anywhere from 6 to 16 deg. of deadrise ( angle of V in the hull ). A well designed hull will run thru 4" of water no problem, but you still need 2 to 3 feet of water to take off in. A wider hull will run shallower than a narrow hull. Also you need much more power to run a hull with a jet than a prop, the best inboard jets run V8s. Try to avoid ones that use outboard powerheads mated to a jet as their power source. They are usually underpowered and do not perform very well. When you go to a jet you will lose about 30% of your power, burn 30% more fuel, and lose about 30% of your load capacity. For a jet to run thru 4" of water the bottom needs to be smooth and composed of sand or pea gravel. Also getting just one or two small stones in the grate will sometimes be enough to keep you from getting up on step. The same thing will occur with sticks and pieces of bark which the MN river is loaded with. If you are going to run shallow with a jet make sure you carry a shovel and a come along with you to get unstuck. A couple of things that make for a truly sweet jetboat are 3/4 turn lock to lock steering and a posinozzle such as the Kodiak 3 stage jets have (works like power steering). Stainless impeller, preferably 4 blade. Also make sure the motor box is lined with a closed cell foam and a Mylar coating to keep the sound down. Also make sure the hull is made of at least 3/16" 5052 aluminum or even better 5086 which is a bit harder than the 5052. If you absolutly have to run super shallow a jet is the way to go. But if you don't then there a alot of disadvantages to a jet.

Outboards with jets are not any louder, its just that the exhaust exits above the water when they are running up on plane so you end up with unmuffled exhaust.

You are correct about using the outboards with jets. Down here in MO I have a place on the Gasconade River, when I was small it was always a quiet place, now those yayhoos have up to 200hp with jets and you can hear them coming over a mile away! I truly wish they would put a HP restriction on the river. No more peace and quiet!

A boat that I find very interesting is the Blue Wave, very cool rigs. I have my eye on them as a strong choice for my next rig. I like the 22' Super Tunnel, I seen one and fell in love at first sight.

www.bluewaveboats.com
bluewavehastheboatforyou.jpg

River Pro is the real deal for river rats and fisherman who work lakes and Rivers that often are harsh on lower units. I have ran one and liked it. They run at a higher RPM and do roar a bit, eat fuel too. All jets tend to eat fuel because of the higher RPMS' needed to push the pump. A trade off for superior shallow water performance I guess?

www.riverpro-boats.com
1872_HiPro_2.jpg

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Dash 1
      Hey government,  Just give us choices. I don’t care what people use as long as as it works for you. I’m needing a new weed eater. Plan on a Stihl FS 40 easy start. I’m done with the cheaper brands. Just don’t last long enough.  Probably true with the Stormy Daniels of the world as well. Cheaper don’t last long enough 🤭
    • SkunkedAgain
      If you turn on a movie they survive the 20min ride just fine. After many controlled experiments, I've found that they survive much better if you show "Finding Nemo" instead of "Jaws."
    • PSU
      I have never had a challenge mbeyer
    • mbeyer
      what does the ride from Virginia to the lake do to the bait.....survive OK?
    • Mike89
      you make it so fun!!!!    😁
    • CigarGuy
      Quick update: Lucky 7 now has rainbows, fatheads, crappie and light pike in stock. If I remember correctly, scoop of rainbows was $8.99.  Stopped at L&M in Virginia. Rainbows $6.99, fatheads and crappie minnows (scoop) $3.99. I was billed $6.99 dozen for rainbows, but was given a healthy scoop!
    • smurfy
      🤣 you da friggin grammar police!🤔😒🤣
    • leech~~
      I have had the same old Strikemaster augers for years, take care of them and they will last a long time.   I think E-augers are nice for around home lakes or at the cabin. The thing that was a eye opener to me was being in D-Rock in New Brighton getting new blades and there were two guys that just got back from a week in Canada on a big ice fishing trip and both very pissed off at their e-augers dying! They were both buying new gas augers.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Things are shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener which takes place Saturday, May 11th.  Recent rain has brought up the water levels, which were low.  The walleyes and saugers are in very good shape across the south shore.  Expectations are high. The goto presentation this weekend will be a jig and frozen emerald shiner or other kind of minnow.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.     Hook the shiner through the mouth and out the gill.  Push the minnow all the way up to the jig head and hook the minnow as far back as possible.  This will give you a better hooking percentage.     Jig sizes and colors?  This is stained water so you can get away with a big heavier jig, which is nice for those who don't fish a lot.  It enables them to have more control and feel the bottom.  A quarter ounce jig is a good size for starters.     In stained water, gold, glow white, glow red, pink, orange and chartreuse, or a combo of those colors, are great places to start.   The limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28.0 inches can be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one daily limit of fish. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, there will be some good pike caught this weekend.  The pike season on LOW is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one fish allowed more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. On the Rainy River...  Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River has been excellent.  The catch and release season is May 8 - 15.  The keep season starts up again July 1st. FYI, there will be some nice walleyes in the Rainy River for the fishing opener.  Lots of sturgeon anglers are reporting big walleyes being caught on sturgeon rigs! Up at the NW Angle...  Angle resorts are ready to roll for the opener.  As many of you know, this is the area of LOW where the islands begin.  Lots of structure.     Go to spots for walleyes, neck down areas, shoreline breaks, points and bays which will have warmer water.  In true NW Angle form, be ready for a mixed bag of fish.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, crappies, and even a few smallies and muskies will be caught.   Again, the goto presentation will be a jig and minnow. Slow trolling a crankbait will also produce fish if need be.    
    • Mike89
      Totally disagree Gim. I have a gas Jiffy legend auger. Never issues. Take a little time to care for it before putting it away and good to go. Sincei started using non oxygen gas, startron and seafood in never have issues with my 2 strokes.   seafood???   I'd try seafoam!!!   🤣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.