• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Current river temps

You can look at the temps here:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?05137500

It looks like around the Wheelers Point area, the temp yesterday was between 58-60. In reference, the temp has dropped almost 12-13 degrees in the past week. It won't be long until temps drop into the lower 50s and the bite should be picking up

Is the lower 50's kind of the magic number? I'm thinking of coming up there the weekend of the 1st, but have an option of going up the 22nd instead. I am a little worried that it would be really stinking cold if I were to go up there the 22nd…

I'm mainly looking for walleye, sturgeon, and maybe pike fishing. But would really like to hook a few sturgeon and have a good chance at some fatty walters.

hey phil, i see yer from wbl. the sturgies are starting to go on the st. croix too! not the same size as the rainy but they're still a ball!

I don't know if there is an exact "magic number" temperature wise that sends the big push of fish from the lake into the river. I think it is more dependent upon the shiner run. The walleyes will follow the shiners up the river just like my dog follows a squirrel into the woods. Some years, like last year, the big shiner push into the river never really happens. However, one night last November I was out infront of wheelers pt at about 11pm sturgeon fishing and shined my headlight on the water around he boat and I could see hundreds and hundreds of shiners on the surface. They were so concentrated on the surface that I was swooping down with a small minnow net I had in the boat and getting a few shiners with every scoop. I did this for about 5 min and had a couple dozen shiners. I talked to one of the resort owners the next morning and he said what I saw was nothing compared to the "big push" they normally see each fall.

I would call Adrians or WigWam and talk to Brian or JP, respectively, and they can give you the latest update on the shiner run and fishing reports. I usually go up twice in October and once in November. You can always go fish out the Gap or Four Mile bay or even further out into the lake if the big shiner run hasn't started yet. Make sure to bring very warm gear, as it can get really cold come late fall out there but it usually means there isn't much traffic/boat pressure out there and the fishing is usually great!

this has probably already been discussed, but what causes a run like that? only things i can think of are food & spawning, & i thought shiners were spring spawners? that would be a cool sight to see!

we usually fish the river the 1st of october. the fish are generally stacked up in the Gap when we are there. the first part of the week we assume we are catching river fish. water temps are usually in the 56-54 range. some years its lower and you catch alot more lake fish. but it is also equal parts shiner run. toward the end of the week, we start catching bigger fish.

52 deg and below + shiner run - big fish

52 deg and below + no shiner run - hit or miss

above 52 deg and shiner run - hit or miss

Wow, great info guys. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the water temps get down there by October 15th(my new trip date) and that the shiners decide to hit the river. I am already planning on bringing every warm article of clothing I have, at least there will be places to stop in for a warm lunch or late breakfast in the river right? If the walleye fishing is mediocre that's just more time I can spend trying to catch a big sturgeon!

Fishuhalik, I'd love to fish some sturgeon on the St. Croix but alas, I am boatless. Unless there's a spot to fish em off shore than I think I'm out of luck smile. Although, with a big weight and a huge gob of crawlers I could probably cast out quite a ways from shore, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Trying to figure out the magic temp on the river is as hard as predicting my wifes moods, hence why we call the Rainy "the Ol' Lady".

I've been hitting it every spring and fall several times for the past 15 years and honestly there is no single indication on when it will hit.

Things we look for, of course water temp, but another big factor is water level. We also try and plan our trip on weather pattern, moon phases, barometer, etc. Does it help, boy on the drive up we sure believe it does smile

Last fall was tough, so was this past spring, dont forget about an hour away from the River you have one of the best up and coming Walleye factorys in the US, Upper Red Lake, if the river is tough, don't hesitate to head down there for a day.

as for sturgeon fishing up there, i love catching them as well, but we never fish them, if you are veticle jigging you will get a few. Personally i love hooking on them with my walleye rod and 8lb fireline, talk about a fun battle. My personal best is a 58 incher.

So if it was me i'd focus on the eyes and just be ready when you set the hook because at some point it will be a river shark. smile

My favorite time to be up there is November, not much traffic, most folks are dressed in blaze orange and boats are put away.

I found this post yesterday by JP, the general manager at wigwam. It has some solid info and was posted.in the LOTW forum, so I decided to copy paste it here in the Rainy River forum. Info like this is extremely useful.

I've been jigging all month off the line and out from Morris Gap with some very good success. I just heard through the local grapevine that one of the bait shops (Log Cabin) just pulling in more Shiners in one night than he did all last fall...that was just a few days ago. This is the first run and we're expecting another run in a couple more weeks, but this is great news for the boys and gals that love to jig in the Gaps, Four Mile Bay, or the Rainy River.

Happy Fishing to all, and to all a good day!

Wigwam Fisherman

• 3 weeks later...

we usually fish the river the 1st of october. the fish are generally stacked up in the Gap when we are there. the first part of the week we assume we are catching river fish. water temps are usually in the 56-54 range. some years its lower and you catch alot more lake fish. but it is also equal parts shiner run. toward the end of the week, we start catching bigger fish.

52 deg and below + shiner run - big fish

52 deg and below + no shiner run - hit or miss

above 52 deg and shiner run - hit or miss

Maybe a dumb question, but in response to some of the posts on here I am curious.

I see that this morning the river temp is 54.0 degrees at wheelers. From any of your past experiences, how long with river temps below 50 or 52 degrees (as many people have posted) does it take for the larger lake fish to make it into the river?

I will be up on Tuesday for 5 days and was just hoping to get some insisght as to where we can expect to find the pigs. Just hoping that we are not too early for a major river push of fish. Any insight on past experiences would be great.

Thanks and happy fishing,

KC

KC: I'm arriving at the Rainy on Saturday night. Any chance I could call you for some current information? I have not fished up there for about ten years. Post or call me if your interested. Thanks for the help.

Jason Lee

712-269-7831

KC: I'm arriving at the Rainy on Saturday night. Any chance I could call you for some current information? I have not fished up there for about ten years. Post or call me if your interested. Thanks for the help.

Jason Lee

712-269-7831

Jason, I will post up with my results before Saturday with details. I am not someone who is opposed to helping others get on fish. I hope you have a great trip. I will probably be heading back to KC sometime on Saturday night but I will get ya some info somehow.

Happy fishing,

KC

Thanks KC... I will do the same when we return home. Not taking the computer along so hope the info. helps someone coming up after us. You've got the cooler weather needed, just hope the wind allows you to fish.

JLee