• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best St Louis River boat Launch

I think they are are plenty of nice ones - Rice, Arrowhead, are probably my votes for the area your asking, but Clyde is pretty nice to and not a far boat ride to Spirit. As far as secure? I think everyone of these launches can get touched with thieves etc.. Gd luck!

Best and most secure launch for SL River Duluth to Spirit LK?

No such thing anymore. In my opinion, Clyde is by far the worst for break ins. I usually only use Rice's Point.

Got this in an email from Pete B, local muskie guide...

Just a word of caution to everyone using the boat landings around the Duluth/Superior area. There’s been multiple truck break-ins, smashed windows and even boat trailer thefts at the landings. This has been a problem forever, usually at landings that are secluded or where people can see you coming for a ways on the water. But now thieves are getting more brave and moving into popular landings Rices Point(under the high bridge) and Loons Foot landing and working in groups with spotters to check things out. My truck was gone through about a week ago; glove box and center counsel were emptied. I talked to the police and they said there was about 20 vehicles that where hit and thieves are looking for things that are easy to steal and make a quick getaway. Just letting people know.

Sounds like someone needs to set up a sting operation and teach these kids a lesson the old fashioned way

The police have told me they dont think its kids but young adults. Kids usually smash and dash. These guys are taking their time and casing things out good. Seems to be 3-4 involved because they are using spotters and some form of comunication with eachother. Must be selling what they can get. Dont leave any valuables in your vehicles!

Loonsfoot, Rices and the new landing at Arrowhead have been the least hit.

Clyde is the worst and then boyscout.

If I were launching and wanted to fish the bay to Spirit I would launch at Rices and park as close to the launch as possible. No matter wher I go I always have a cut proof trailer lock on my trailer.

I once caught a [PoorWordUsage] trying to steal my 3rd wheel off my trailer at the barkers landing. I kept him there until the cops got there. He had a jacket full of tools. Probably all stolen from someone else.