• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spaying

kupman

We're getting Mylah(English Setter)spayed 8/10/11; turns 6 months old Friday. They'll keep her overnight, then 2-3 days recovery. Sound about normal? What should we expect and look out for? Wondering if/how spaying changes female setters temperment?

Oh boy.

I have followed that route with my 4 female Brittanys and never, ever had an issue. All remained great family dogs (indoor attitude) yet hard driving and intelligent dogs in the field.

There are some rather deep discussion threads on this forum that you can search out if you so choose. No question is simple when asked on the internet.

I also had our lab done at 6 months last spring. They kept her as well. I didn't notice any changes to her at all. Still the same drive as before. The only thing we struggled with is that we were told to keep her mellow for a few days while the stitching healed. She never understood why would would play fetch with her those days. She would pick up her ball drop it on our lap. We would then push it back down to the floor where she would then pick it back up and put it on our lap again. It was hard for her to understand why we wouldn't play with her. smile

Glock

Oh boy.

There are some rather deep discussion threads on this forum that you can search out if you so choose. No question is simple when asked on the internet.

As stated above, there is new talk that spaying should wait until after 12 months due to the removal of hormones which can cause non normal bone growth etc.

Anyway i had my chocolate spayed a few months ago, dropped her off in the Am and picked her up (at my request) in the PM. She was fine and wanted to play ball in the yard when we got home. I think they just want the extra money to keep them over night...however I dont beleive i got a discount to pick her up.

I've had both of my labs spayed @ 6 months, no change in demeanor. Same as Mule, dropped the dog in the morning, picked up in the afternoon.

This was with an old school vet that isn't out to stick it to you for extras. Actually he has written a book that he has on his reception desk. While flipping thru it I noticed a chapter titled, "No Dog Has Every Died From A Limp". Jist of the chapter was, don't waste your money immediately running to the vet if your dog starts limping. Especially not emergency weekend visit. Give it some time and see before you go in. During the same visit, overheard him explaining to a dog owner the humane way to put an ailing dog down. Straight line from eye to the opposite ear, place the "lead injection" where the lines cross. Not something everyone could do, but interesting to here. Sorry got off topic.

I realize it's a bit late for you, but I want to chime in about alternatives to having your vet do the spaying. I found a place in Duluth, "Duluth Spay and Neuter", who spayed my female Britt at 6 months for $135 out the door. My vet was going to charge $350-450 depending on how long she had to be under. When I told my vet of my plans he said he hadn't had one complaint regarding that facility. Duluth Spay and Neuter does all of the animal shelter animals and has lower rates for folks on some form of government assistance. There may be other similar clinics around the state worth looking into...could save you $200-300 bucks, or, the cost of an E-collar.

Thanks for the responses! The cost will be around $400 w/optional pre/post surgury fluids and pain meds. Also getting her microchipped at same time. Was actually hoping she'd mellow out a bit..! She's a really good dog, just has typical puppy moments and needs lots of excersise! I have read previous posts about spaying, and we still feel good about doing it now. When do you typically start w/e-collar, or is that another can of worms?! First time gun dog owner smile

I spayed by GSP 2 weeks ago (5 21/2 months old). Dropped off in the AM and brought her home that night. About $400 out the door with microchip. She was mellow 1 night and than back to herself. As for the e collar, I just sent her off for 8 weeks of training. They will do bird and gun intro for the first 3-4 weeks, than yard work (here, heel, whoa, sit). My trainer said we would not introduce the e collar until the dog has its yard work all figured out, and only as a training tool. He said the last couple weeks (of the 8 total) will be the e collar intro.

Sent u a message hammertime.. Was wondering about cost for trainer,etc..

Sorry for getting off topic, will start a new thread if needed

• 2 weeks later...

th_IMG_0046.jpg

No worse for the wear.. Like hammertimes, little groggy for a day, then back to normal..! was licking incision a bit the first day, now hardly at all. Time to start training soon!

not sure if you live near a MN Vet association, but she gave me a quick quote for my lab and she said 220-275, and said it was dependent on weight (my lab is a male and weighs just under 50lbs) she also says that you pick him up the same day.

WOW! I don't know what vets you are using for getting your dog spayed, but it was $220 for a 75 pound Golden Retriever out our way..... Glad I don't live in the cities....

We go to VCA in Richfield, literally at the end of our block. Spaying was $261, then we decided to go w/all optional fluids and pain meds plus micro-chipped which brought it to $440.. Not too bad in my opinion for convenience and great vets! Don't know if breed matters why it was $600, ouch! They do know how to drain your wallet tho crazy

Mine was $600 also but she was almost 2 years at the time and weighed 65lbs. They said it goes by weight for the pricing. They also used the laser surgery for her.