• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heard about it yet?

I heard about another absolute hog being caught, I guess 69x30 which would make it @ 97 lbs or so.

Alot of big fish have been caught so far.. More to come too..Mass influx of anglers means more bigguns being caught/reported each season the past few years, not like years back when you did'nt hear as near as much!

So did you hear about the 80 incher caught, kept, tagged and verification was attempted for record status?

Casey's got the itch to go again. I was there last Thursday but now that the ice is off, I have to work. Maybe a couple of days after opening....I hope.

I'm sure it's no lie...maybe not exact numbers, who knows for sure? But I can tell you I have seen and heard of some record breaking Sturgeon being caught on the Rainy River...Some smashing the record in excess of 100+lbs, but they have been during the catch and release seaon, so you can't keep 'em to claim it as a state record. The fish have to be immediately released back into the water.

I am POSITIVE there are several record breaking fish swimming the Rainy, but can anyone catch one during the open Sturgeon season? Not yet!

There you go.

What is the state record? I've caught one 67" last fall and a friend landed one at 72" a couple years before that. Both while fishing for walleyes of course.

What's the formula for estimating weight on these monsters(LxW)?

A guy in our group during the S.E. (PDOGG) caught a 66*32 ~ 100lbs

para1911 - there's a formula on the DNR site/Baudette area fisheries.

Ya man that record gets handily beat via LxG guesstimates each year many times by fish that must be released. Plenty of pics and tales of fish in the low 70's every year.

The fish I mentioned above was caught quite recently this week and it is now 'keep' season. The Sturgeon was tagged and kept. I can't elaborate anymore here for now though.

Para, record is a mere 94 pounds! Every year a couple/few folks get fish that would easily bump well past the 100 pound mark iffin their x's and y's are legit.

I'm fairly certain I saw a fish that would've been an easy 150+ pounds.. I was on the early December ice off Morris 5 or 6 years ago, 4 inches of clear blue ice, no snow and a whale of a Sturgeonfish came swimming upside-down right up under the ice thru our setup. We followed it on foot for awhile and it was real Widebody all of 7 foot if it was an inch. Believe it or not!! I have to believe it as I saw it with my own 2 eyes!

Length/girth conversion to weight charts are at the DNR Baudette area website.

IF the X's and Y's are right, it is after all an estimate. I've been close but like said before it's always during catch and release season when I land em' that big! Someday sombody has to break that record!

Now I'm getting the itch. Not good.

DNR's chart has gotta be pretty darn close, what I meant was iffin the anglers x's and y's are right during their measuring proccess!! Some tagged fish have grown at a remarkable rate in a season or 2 which must be due to measuring 'errors'!! I remember reading about 1 Sturgeonfish that actually shrank 2 inches in a years time!!

"Shrinkage? Ouch!".. Maybe it was a whole heckuva lot colder when it was caught the second time maybe eh?!

DNR site has bunches of info on growth and other Sturgeonfish stuff

"Shrinkage? Ouch!".. Maybe it was a whole heckuva lot colder when it was caught the second time maybe eh?!

LMAO! smile

I sure hope it wasn't kept, it would be an illegal keep. According to the regs legal length is 45-50 inches inclusive, and over 75 inches. As far as the shrinkage, I would bet whoever measured it varied by not pinching the tail section.

I think they said it was 80 inches which would make it legal under the current regs. If in fact this is true and it is a new record I would like to see the DNR change the over 75 to over 85 inches. Only reason to keep on over 75 was for the record and if that is broken up the ante..

No more talk about shrinkage. I was in the pool, I was in the pool! smirk

74.5" and 119 lb. cuaght by a guide out of Woody's Resort on the 29th of April. Take a peek at www.fairlyreliable.com for the pics. This one takes the pic as the biggest one I have seen boated.

I've seen the pics, just doesn't have that look of a 100+ lb fish to me. I caught an 85 lber last year that almsot looked bigger. I by no means am trying to discredit anyone, I am sure it is, it just seems to be fairly slender to me.

In looking through their photo's I'm wondering what they were doing with a livewell full or walleyes on april 29th that included the two 30 inchers...

He was shadowing the DNR while they were doing a electrofishing walleye survey on the river... Those were not caught using hook and line... You can view the videos on the website under fishing report videos