Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Rainy River Fishing Report

Mike Dumas

I was looking at the webcam from sportsman's lodge this morning and tonight and this morning there was a few pockets of open water. This evening the middle towards canada side was opened!

JacobG

Just returned home last night. Fishing this year was slow compared to years past. In fact I caught the fewest fish per trip ever this year. and Ive done this for 14 years now. However, the big fish were the ones to be caught so really cant complain. Sometime yesterday the rapid river gave loose and was completely blown out. It went from consistent river conditions, current,color,debris to complete chocolate milk, fast current and tons of debris.......unfishable west of the rapid. My experience has been a few days and all is back to normal. But when it broke loose you knew it!

Good luck to guys fishing this weekend. THe bay should be open. Ice was stacked up just south of sportsmans yesterday afternoon. Otherwise timber mill will be open as well as airport access. I also talked with some guys at Wigwam sat night that fished near town all week and they did very well. Not numbers, but big fish including a 66.

Meat-Run

thanks for the report JacobG. I'm heading up early Friday morning so not sure where to start, ice pack or near Baudette.

MR

vman11

Sounds like 4 Mile Bay is about 40% open, and the Wheelers Pt. ramp will be open this afternoon or for sure tomorrow. Most of the resorts have updates on their Facebook pages if you want to check it out there.

The wind, sun and current really ripped up that ice the past few days! Also heard from a source that the Rapid River was raging this weekend. He also said the Little Fork opened as well. Unsure of what it might do to the fishing but thought I'd pass it along. If anyone else has updated info on the ice out in 4 mile bay or on the feeder rivers post it here!

Meat-Run

Vman,

you know how long till the forks start to bottom out and water clear up once it lets loose? Heading up this Friday and hope the water slows and clears up by then.

thx

MR

side_laker

I will be fishing Friday. Not sure what landing to use yet. Hope it's not that dirty of water. Any advise would be great

JacobG

I have been up there when the forks blew out about 4 years ago and now the rapid this year. my guess is by Friday you guys will be just fine. My advice would be to fish the lake or as far up river as youd like. When the Rapid blew out yesterday it was instant chocolate milk and debris everywhere, and the bite was over....like is stated earlier, unfishable with the amount of debris and current. However, by the Thursday or Friday Id guess itll clear up significantly and the distance from the lake to the tributaries is pretty long and allows a lot of that debris and current to settle out. My advice......Fish from sportsmans on out, and be prepared to fish any conditions, 6-8oz of lead might be necessary to stay on bottom

Mike Dumas

Thanks for the info jacob! I will be up there thursday morning sometime, our group is leaving wed up to grand rapids area and staying the night at a family members (And to pickup the boat) to make it not that bad of a drive. I'm just curious what you mean when you say the rapids blew out? I have never been up that way before.

Sackett

I fished the weekend too. Sunday around 5pm we were swarmed by the ice chunks and logs down around Silver Creek from the Rapid River letting loose. Pretty slow travel to get back to Clementsen, I even took some video of it as I thought it was a pretty unique sight. Above Clementsen Bay though people were still catching fish when we got there, and the river looked to be in as good a shape as it was prior in the day leading me to believe Little Fork had not broken unless it was late in the day, though I do see the water levels are rising on the graph now. We were fine with 3oz of weight.

JacobG

Mike, Ill try to explain as best I can what people are talking about the forks or rapid blowing out. There is a large amount of water being restricted by ice. Over time that ice get eaten away and weakened and can no longer hold back that amount of volume and force. Then without warning it gives way and a huge amount of water, ice and debris comes with it. Usually the rapid isn't that dirty, however the initial push of water had been stirring up for weeks and was extremely dirty. When the tribs give way or "blow out" as we like to call it in reference to the rainy its never been a good thing. however I think by this weekend fishing would be just fine, might even be good today already. If I wasn't going back to work id be there tomorrow!

side_laker

Heading up Thursday night to fish Friday hope the ice chunks don't come down that day. Not sure what landing yet.

uffdapete

The Littlefork was open downstream of the Hwy 71 bridge with an ice jam upstream. Got a call from someone who lives near the mouth this morning that it went out.

The Bigfork was open Sunday too at Big Falls. Would guess it's open at the mouth as well.

I would expect muddy water in the Rainy below the forks for a few days.

side_laker

How is the sturgeon fishing out of the pelland landing

fish_hunt_guy

Me and my Dad will be up there Sunday and Monday. Do you just attach the lead weight above the leader on the line as to allow the leader and bait to float just above the bottom? I have 12" leaders set up on our rods. Also sounds like we should have an assortment of weights right? 3oz-6oz maybe?

First time at this, thanks for any help!

fishuhalik

Fish hunt guy, just think of it as a glorified Lindy Rig. Slip sinker, double loop swivel (DO NOT use a snap swivel, they love to break on these monsters) 12-18" leader & a good sized circle hook with a bunch of crawlers and/or fatheads. Don't over think these big, glorified suckers. Just do these 3 things & you'll catch fish.

1. Hold onto your rod cuz they bite LIGHT

2. Move every 45 mins til you find a concentration, trying different depths & patters

3. Try to find DTRO & his gang and fish AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to them wink

vman11

Me and my Dad will be up there Sunday and Monday. Do you just attach the lead weight above the leader on the line as to allow the leader and bait to float just above the bottom? I have 12" leaders set up on our rods. Also sounds like we should have an assortment of weights right? 3oz-6oz maybe?

First time at this, thanks for any help!

Yes, weights above the leader. Use the flat, no roll sinkers (flat, egg shaped weights).

Experiment with your leader length. I usually run around 18". Circle hooks are also suggested. Don't necessarly "set" the hook, but pull/reel with good pressure and the hook will dig in nicely.

DTro

3. Try to find DTRO & his gang and fish AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to them wink

LOL

We'll be in a very inconspicuous boat. wink

Meat-Run

"3. Try to find DTRO & his gang and fish AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to them"

That's my plan!!! haha grinwhistle

If you see a 18ft crestliner w/ two Hondas on the back make sure to swing by and say hi, just don't park to close we have a spud-gun! wink

MR

Meat-Run

All seriousness I've switched all over to "j-hooks" in the 5/0-7/0. My success with circle isn't that good ONLY on sturgeon because they dont have that typical corner mouth like a catfish or walleye and have missed fish. If you are going to use circle hooks I suggest a little bigger hook and when you get a bite leave rod in the holder and just start reeling. This keeps you from setting the hook 😉 that's just my 2c

MR

fish_hunt_guy

Thanks guys I really appreciate the pointers! I found the last no roll sinkers in town at my last stop! Just thinking about this but being that sturgeon dont have teeth couldnt a guy get away with not having a leader at all?, just stopping the weight however many inches above the hook that you wanted to with a snap weight or something?

fishuhalik

You're not using a steel leader. You're using a mono or braid leader. 2 reasons you want a setup like this.

1. With a sliding sinker, the fish doesn't feel as much weight when it picks up the bait.

2. With crawlers, when you reel it back in, & while its sitting there in the current, they like to spin. If you don't have a swivel, you'll end up with a mess of tangled lines

Whiskerchaser

I'm headed up may 1st to try some sturgeon fishing. I know a lot of people fish out of wheeler's point but i was wondering if fishing can be just as good further upstream, even by say birchdale? Reason being is we are staying in my pickup camper and are hoping to stay right at an access. Do any of the other accesses between birchdale and wheelers have camping available?

uffdapete

Right now fishing is good in all the traditional spots from 4 mile bay to the dam in I Falls. I know of 1 boat, 2 guys, that boated 23 yesterday below the dam. Ad 76 were tagged down by Wheeler's Point yesterday also. LOTS of boats down there.

Mike Dumas

Lots was almost an understatement. There was a line about a mile down the road both sides of parked cars and trailers at wheelers point. Our group filled both tags. Probably the only year well keep a tagged fish but we all wanted to try smoking them.

ProGuideEyes

Fished out of pelland landing today 2 of us 8:30-630. Caught 27 fish biggest was 24" 4 sturgeon had 2 on at one time biggest was 73"!!! Midway!! River was very dirty about a .8-1 mph current too. Gonna give her hell again tomorrow fish were caught on 50/50 plastics,live bait. Deep water edges held fish