Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Rainy River Fishing Report

Random guy

Fingers crossed. I am going to start looking for Sturgies in the mud either way. A guy has to give it a whirl. Ya know I have not heard much for sturgeon getting dinged. Should be some residental fish getting hooked up even in the tough conditions.

Plus I have to use up some crawlers as they keep escaping out of the flats in the fridge. laugh

Jarnotski

Jonny- I had the same thought about resident sturgies. Fished below the litte fork last weekend with no bites, went back on friday and also had zero bites. The Little Fork was chuckin pretty good, had to have 4 oz to stay on the bottom. Had to reel in and clean leaves off every five minutes, ran up to the Dam and fished with no luck (Prob to early for the dam). I've never had this much of a problem picking up a couple resident sturgeon. Also heard bad reports on sturgeon out of birchdale. Beats workin I guess, I think I gotta try it again this weekend. Best of Luck.

Bassboy1645

It was the best worst day ever on saturday! The saying a bad day of fishing is better then a good day of work(or school) was defenitely true here. Long story short here is my crappy events in order.

Unsecured takle box rolled around in the boat on the drive up breaking a rod

Motor wouldnt start when I got her in the water it was wayy cold. Found out 15 mins after cussing and swearing I didnt have the kill switch key in. problem solved.

Pee hole was frozen...thawed out with a handy dandy handheld torch.

I had no bait and Shops in I falls werent open till 7am. No problem though.. buddy has plenty of bait well split minnows. Problem here is buddy leaves minnows in boat over night so we chip apart ice blocks to fish frozen dead minnows. It is now finally sunrise. AND COLD

Over lunch I lose my boat keys...no idea where. Could be at the landing, truck, baudette, nelson general store. I dont know. Fish the rest of the day in buddys boat.

NO FISH dirty high water. some debris. I didnt think it was bad compared to say the miss or minn rivers but I guess it was [PoorWordUsage] for the rainy.

8 miles out of Ely, MN heading back home that night the truck overheates with a radiator crack.

The next day I notice oil spewing out of my outboard. Becasue I couldnt not start my motor without my keys I couldnt drain all the water. As of now im waiting on the shop but I suspect a cracked head. It was cold overnight.

All in All it was nice being on the water again. Not four mins in I hooked into a monster sturgeon that broke me off. My buddy lost a rod to another sturgie which ripped it out of the boat. My fishing partner in my boat fought a sturgie for about 20 mins unitl the ice broke his line. It warmed up later and with the warm sun open water some country music and a shot of captain it was one of the best things ever. I just wish the fish would have been biting. Early yet? the water temps were 32 degrees according to the graph and the current was 3 1/2 4 miles an hour by gps. we fished birchdale. Hope this helps

setterguy

Ouch man, that is a rough day.

Wensel

We fished most of the day Sunday, the current seemed better but still fast.

Early skim ice was difficult.

We managed a few fish but we had to work for them

Big key was trying to find slack water, and there is not much of it

Water 6-8" vis max, about the same as Sat

When we came home last night, kids were riding snowmobils on the Little Fork, big fork was solid too???

GOod Luck

Tim_Anderson

Imagine being at a buffet table in the middle of a tornado. Good food is everywhere, but just as you reach for a piece of new york strip, you see a fork coming at you. You duck. And then you look and there are glasses and spoons coming at you from every direction. A plate hits you in the face. You really want that piece of meat, but you can't seem to get back to it. And when you finally do, it is all covered with dirt and leaves and all sorts of un-edible things. It doesn't appear to be very appetizing anymore. It's just not worth it. You back off and go into survival mode. You find a place that is comfortable to hide. You wait for better conditions to try and find something to eat.

Those walleyes and sturgeon must be on sensory overload right now. This is how I imagine it being in their world, and it is eventually going to get worse. Hopefully it gets better before that happens.

In the mud and debris, I have tried and failed with both walleye and sturgeon. Yes, a fish here and there, but mostly futility, and that is not what I go up there for. I hate to discourage you, but that has been my experience. What can you do when your rig is fouled the moment it hits the bottom? I have been there. It takes sheer chance for your sinker rig to catch the debris long enough for your hook/bait to stay clean, get found, and get bit. That is that lucky fish that you get every once in awhile.

At the same time, they gotta eat eventually. If anyone can figure out a way to feed them consistently under these conditions, I will be all ears!

river rat316

Drop shot with about a 1 ounce weight plastic up about 2' from the weight, let the sinker grab the debris and hopefully the plastic stays clean long enough to get bit.... thats just me thinking out loud though..... either that or pitching real shallow in any small seams hugging the shoreline, but have never been up there in high water so I don't know how dirty the shore line areas get

shamrock7

Saturday, tried a 2 oz. bottom bouncer then a plain hook about 4' downwind. The weight picked up a lot of debris but the hook and minnow still caught its fair share. Didn't catch a fish either.

smokie30

Bassboy. sounds like you had a fun day.

I had a day close to that in 2000. Day 1 and 2 fishing

was slow 10-15 each day. Day 3 slept in. Hit the water,

just got planed out hit a berg. Nothing $1000 didn't fix.

2 broken transducers, broken skag, and heavy damage to my brand new prop.

It was still better than working.

CatManLee

Fished on Sunday 3/29/09 with only a couple suckers to show for it...and we snagged those! Like said above, strong current and dirty water with a lot of grass moving through to get caught on your lures.

We mainly fished for Sturgeon with the water being so dirty, but couldn't find any willing to bite. We also tried (for about 4 hours) pitching jigs for Walleyes too in a few slack water areas to the east of Birchdale up in the rockier section of the river and did manage a few sure bites, but also lost a bunch of jigs!!

All-in-all, a very slow day, but it was nice to get out in the boat again anyways.

That's my report, sorry it wasn't more interesting... We didn't catch any fish in the mouth, but at least I can say "I tried" and we did get to reel in a couple of fish in anyways!

It was better than sitting at home, just barely though! grin

Tim_Anderson

Looks like things are improving a little at a time. Word is that the Rainy has dropped about a foot in the past two days. Little fork has dropped about two feet, and is still locked up. Current is slowing. I heard of visibility a couple of days ago that was only 6 inches. Now I'm hearing more like 18-24 inches consistently. Guys out at the lake are doing well ice fishing. As the current drops and the water starts warming, those fish are going to start moving up.

Time for me to come up and find out for myself I guess. My pards are stubborn and won't seem to take "no" for an answer.

I don't see much changing over the next couple of days though, as far as fishing reports. Wind, cold and snow is going to make it tough on the fishermen. It's going to take some good fishermen and some hard core dudes to have success on Tuesday and Wednesday. But we're going to come up on Thursday evening just on the prospect of improving river conditions and very slowly warming temps.

I really hope that we will be able to provide everyone with some good news on the bite, and some good pictures as well.

fishuhalik

Thanks for the update Tim! It sounds like my trip may be salvaged after all. Sounds like it won't be primetime or anything, but I have a feeling we may be able to scrounge something up.

BTW, the walleye season close this weekend, right? Also, if the river bite is off, do you think it would be worth it to try icefishing the lake if nothing's going on the river?

fiskyknut

Season closes 4/14. The lake bite has been very good in spots. I was on Muskeg yesterday fishing Walleye and the bite was great. Some of the rockpiles out of Babblers have been good also as of late, reliable bite with a tough day thrown in now and then. I've heard the gap bite is off due to dirty water pouring out of the river? Not sure as I have'nt been eastside on recent trips. Access on the eastside via P/U may be a problem also.

Steve you out there? Whats the scoop over your way these days??

jonahsauter

we got back on monday from birchdale and it wasn't the greatest fishing but our group of 4 guys caught 24 walleye,2 measuring 25 1/2 inches,1 sucker,1 55" sturgeon and 1 eelpout over our 3 day trip.Mostly fished as close to shore as we could.Didn't seem to matter what size of jig we were using either.My 2 buddies in our group were using 1/8oz and 1/4oz jigs and my buddy and i were using 3/8oz and 1/2oz jigs and we were catching fish within 10-20ft from each other,orange and pink fireballs seemed to be the colors that worked the best for us so hopefully it picks up a bit for you guys going up there.

Tim_Anderson

Sure is nice to hear something positive. You don't sound thrilled, but this is the best report I've heard. Thank you!

goingdeep

Thats the most positive report I have heard lets all keep are chins up!!!!!

Boar

One thing We did when we had high water two Fall seasons ago when it was really high, we tied in a barrel swivel two feet upfrom the jig, an it caught most of the debrie from getting to our jig, we ofcourse had to clean of the barrel swivel but not nearly as often as the jig. any thing that you can tie inline without effecting your rig will work. We also found 6 feet of water along a bull rushy shoreline on an inside turn held more an bigger fish, two catch them we had to rip jig back to the boat, cast out, find bottom then rip jig back to the boat, man did we catch fish, well I did my brother could only watch. I'm sure spring is entirely different than fall. But hey, who knows? Boar

Royal Dutchman

Fishing report so far today has not been great.

Wind picked up a bit and made fishing tough but some walleyes & sturgeon reported. Have a group yet to come in and late bite has been best so far.

Clarity has made amazing improvement from early in the week. I am excited about fishing tomorrow for the first time this spring!

Open water on the North 1/2 at Clementson today and should open a mile or so below tonight.

Guys reported flow significantly slower today. Appears that river has dropped a good 2 feet.

Watched a 17.5' boat load at Frontier tonight and plan to launch there tomorrow. Snow has not been cleared from drive, ramp, or parking but ramp is clear of ice & ramp monitor gal was to call county today.

May not sleep tonight.

Tim_Anderson

Headed north late this afternoon. I am happy and expectant about the improving river conditions. Clarity sounds adequate, and I am suspecting that river water temps could reach mid to upper thirties by this weekend.

I hopefully will be staying up there for a week or ten days...as long as it remains clear and the Little Fork holds. I'll be staying at the park/access, but will eventually have to come in, gas up, and get a hot meal. Probably freshen up as well! If I get anything going, and catch some nice fish, I will try to stop somewhere and hook up my laptop and put a report on here.

Good luck to all. See ya on the river!

fishuhalik

Good luck to you tim! I hope to see ya out there. Looks like we're still going this weekend. Figure we might as well give it a shot, you know what they say about a bad day fishing....

fishuhalik

Another thing I should ask, do you think it will be a problem launching a 17' lund in the river on Saturday? Any idea if the ramps are gonna be cleaned up by then?

heartattack22

No problem launching at Birchdale...

HawgHauler

fishuhalik--the Birchdale ramp will be no problem for you. might even be able to launch at Frontier as well.

Eyewitness

So does anyone know if the county has cleared any of the ramps yet? If so, which ones?

para1911

RD, please let us know when the county opens up Frontier. That saves a lot of boat travel time if I were to launch at there vs. Birchdale. Many Thanks!!!