Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Joe

Rainy River Fishing Report

Random guy

Ok guys here is what i know... jonny p has a new boat and you won't know its him...only recognized him from his lindy coat...he even switched coats from sun to mon...

laugh Tuesday I even switched coats and boats. I wore my sunglasses and a neck gator pulled up, in the VS (very sparkly) boat. I was a freshwater ninja!

Random guy

And the fishing is decent, not great and not horrible. The thing to remember is the water is very clear by LOW standards, the water is also low and slow; big fish do not become big fish by hanging around scary situations or close to boats eating strange things. The funny thing about a river is it is always changing and one simple weather change can make it an entirely different beast over a lunch break. Meathunter dialed in by trying different things in different conditions even if it was against the norm, and he caught a bunch of big fish. I watch him pinwheeling big walleye after big walleye.

Think ultra shallow clear lake, find some peaceful little spot and attack from a distance, good things will happen.

full-10775-31955-537788_513121912068185_

Dock Boy

Hey Jonny P, You must have fished in a ranger yesterday with a blacked out motor and yellow 250 sticker on the back. If so you guys pulled out right before us at Birchdale. We were in the white truck and the only Triumph boat on the water.

Random guy

Nope that was the "other guys".I was in the complete opposite yesterday, basically the Dennis Rodman of boats, why do you think I wore a facemask all day. laughwink

meathunter

that other dude with the blacked out motor was jon thelen lol i asked him if he was waiting for some sponsors!

BigTen

I have a quick question for some of you guys who fish jigs regularly. I personally don't fish jigs hardly at all other than on Rainy each year. Do you find that it makes much difference whether you tie directly to the jighead, as opposed to using a swivel snap for quick swap outs?

I have always just used a swivel snap and seemed to have plenty good luck, I'm just wondering if others think it makes a difference. I guess I should state that I'm only talking about use in the stained Rainy water.

Thanks,

BT

Random guy

that other dude with the blacked out motor was jon thelen lol i asked him if he was waiting for some sponsors!

laugh Ya, Thelen's boat looks pretty naked right now. They took the old wrap off the boat and most of the motor last week. Of course the new stuff has not showed up yet, they will have it looking pretty cool once the goodies show up.

Random guy

Big Ten, I use jigs tied directly to the line and often times I add in a chunk of Silver Thread Fluorocarbon. Snaps and swivels take away from the natural live bait presentations jigs deliver. I fish a lot of stained water, realizing through the years we take for granted just how well the fish can see in their environment, even those stained muddy waters.

walleye977

Quick report. The current is still slow really slow. The water lever is still way down. The clarity is 3.5 to 4 feet it is really clear. We caught over 40 fish yesterday. best odds for us was pitching the bait out away from the boat way out 30 ft away and reeling it slow. Plastic out did meat. We fished the middle of the river say 11 to 13 feet. Dragging meat under the boat did work but not as good. Green was the color of choice heard pink was the day before who knows. We ended up with lots of eater fish and 7 slot fish biggest being a fat 27.5. Others couldn't buy a bite.

crdsrob

walleye977/jonny p, are you pitching jigs and letting them bounce off the bottom as you reel them in or are you working some sort of 3-way rig? We've always jigged directly below the boat when fishing the river in the spring. This will be something new. I appreciate the advice.

walleye977

walleye977/jonny p, are you pitching jigs and letting them bounce off the bottom as you reel them in or are you working some sort of 3-way rig? We've always jigged directly below the boat when fishing the river in the spring. This will be something new. I appreciate the advice.

For me we kept the boat pointed in to the current and and pitched jigs out away from the boat little up river like 45degrees and reeled slow kinda letting it bounce off bottom but letting the current slowly take it down I was using 3/8 jig probly get away lighter. once back to the boat let it sit and pop it a few times. Slow was key, once we got the rhythm down it was killer. Afternoon bite was best into the evening morning was bad. Also when the sun was out was best. Hope that helps. We were drifting in 12 feet and where throwing off both sides of the boat.. throwing up or down river didn't work. Just across river north to south. ok Im giving out to much here good luck.

crdsrob

Thanks walleye, I appreciate it. It's great to have another technique in the arsenal.

Outdoor Authority

Wednesday was a great day for us we managed to catch 50 eyes. With 22 of them over 24". The big fish of the day were 2-28" and a nice 30". Most of the fish were in 14-15 feet of water and caught matching the current going down stream. The best color was green with a silver spinner and an orange jig with an orange spinner. We did use just jigs but the spinners caught more aggressive biting fish. We went out of frontier to the west near the log cabins near an 18ft hole. Some time was spent up river farther Monday and Tuesday but the best fishing we found was there and by the two white deer stands. full-33398-32027-whistlerjig.jpg

full-33398-32028-imag0212.jpg

full-33398-32029-imag0188.jpg

fo...g0186.jpg

full-33398-32033-imag0186.jpg

rosspj59

Good to see those whistler jigs actually work, those are some nice fish. We had a guy at Everts telling us last week he caught some big eyes using them while nobody else was hooking anything.

Fish Head

We fished Tuesday and Wednesday. We were one of the first 10 boats off the Vidas ramp. Tuesday was a little slow, but Wednesday was very good for both numbers and size. Green was a good color this year. Gold worked well too, but they might have been biting on anything pretty.

I was surprised how many guys I spoke to at the hotel, gas station, and restaurant that said fishing was extremely slow. We were vertically jigging on a slow drift from 17-20 fow.

fishnut2

Fished Wednesday east of Vidas from 530 pm to around 800 pm. Put 10 in the boat with two slots going 27 and 29. Kept 4 eaters. Missed a few as well. Tried chartreuse/ orange 1 fish. Gold, no fish . Bubblegum seven fish. Slow drift was the key. 17-20 feet of water. Bad weather coming in Sunday. Last day. Is most likely tomorrow.

Matt Breuer

Headed up to the Rainy with a couple of guests on Friday morning. With fresh snow and cold temps, the roads were brutal, however, that equated to short landing lines when we arrived at Vidas. 15 minutes and we were in...

Started toward the Rapid River and missed 2 fish off the get-go, and then spent 30 mins. trying to buy a bite. Notta. Spent the next hour hitting past producers with zero to show for it, and finally hit a community hole and started to pick up a fish here and there, with Kurt losing a giant halfway up. I knew we were in the right area when that fish came unbuckled, and we spent the next 4 hours anchored over that small patch of water... 3/8 and 1/2 ounce Lindy Jigs with chartreuse Watsit or Yum plastics, tipped with a fathead sometimes, other times not. We put about 20 fish in the boat, with a monster 30.5" being the big for for day 1. Also had some 26-28" mixed in. Got a great meal at Sportsman's and had some good laughs with other anglers, and called it a night.

picture6133.jpg

Each angler had a trophy, so I wanted to move over to sturgeon, but they wanted some more walleye action on day 2. After a great breakfast at Sportsman's we headed farther up river and launched at Frontier. 1 hour and 40 minutes in line, and a 1.7 mile walk later, we were fishing. The first 30 casts were solid, either missing or netting a fish on nearly every one. Wind was down, snow had quit, and we were pitching 1/4 to 3/8 oz. Lindy Jigs with Yum white plastics, again with a fathead. 40-45 fish on day 2, including several over 26", with a 31.25" being the biggest. We also landed a nice 44" sturgeon.

picture6175.jpg

picture6174.jpg

Lots of anglers poking around and moving, watched a few catch fish, a lot did not. Didn't see a single sturgeon aside from the one we caught, which was rare.

Can't wait to head back up this coming weekend to strictly chase dinosaurs!

jwilli7122

fished vidas thurs/fri/sat, did pretty good by our standards, got a couple limits and around 10 fish between 24 and 28.5 with a bonus sturgeon and a couple of sturgeon break offs.

we had some adventure, though.

-While in line to pull out on Thursday a couple guys pulling a big huge decaled up black Team Crestliner boat with a pickup that had some sort of window cleaning company writing on it ran into us trailer to trailer, broke our left fender off and just kept driving. nothing critical was damaged, but I'd say it was about $75 worth of minor damage if that guy happens to be on this board. PM me for my address and you can send me a check.

-we ice fished 4 mile bay Friday morning, walked out about 1.5 miles from River Bend (where we were staying). Ice was 30+ inches and mostly solid, and trucks were driving by us on Adrian's road. so I figured I'd walk back empty handed, get the vehicle and come out on that road to get my buddy and all the gear. well the snow was blowing pretty good and the visibility was bad. i took the wrong ice road, broke through a crusty layer on top with all 4 wheels, and got stuck bad in water on top of ice. the guys from River Bend came and pulled me out. Really nice guys. Wouldn't take any money. when i insisted, they told me to spend it at the bar. this is the 2nd spring i've stayed at River Bend, and it's tough to beat. Cabins are clean and have everything we need or want for $32.50 per guy per night. really nice fish cleaning house. fun bar. can dock your boat (when the river is open to that point, anyway), and the people are great. I highly recommend it.

-the worst was we almost sunk the truck in the River on Friday night. access was extremely icy after dark. driver got out of truck, put it in park and put the e-brake on, winched up the boat, and the truck started slipping. i was 99% sure it was going in. driver sprinted back to the cab and stomped the brake just in the nick of time. back wheels were in the water and inches from the point of no return. if you know how steep that access is and how quickly it drops off under water, you know how bad that would be. i'm guessing truck would have literally sunk, and pulled the boat under with it. thanks to the guy with the black chevy who towed us out and the other guys who helped out with tow ropes and shovels and the like.

jwilli7122

well, the guy who hit our trailer just called my buddy who owns the damaged trailer and made it right - so thanks for that! (I think he got phone # from a witness at the access who took ours down) turns out the damage was taken care of with 95 cents worth of screws so no big deal, but thanks for calling.

Walleyehunter82

Just got back yesterday from 5 days straight days of fishing. Reports were mixed everyday. Some guys sayin single digit fish numbers for the day and others sayin 60-70 fish. Tuesday we were only out for a few hours but we managed 6 walleyes, wed 24, thurs 30, fri 52, and sat 27. Half of sat fish were in the slot. We use golf clickers so those numbers were accurate.:) We fished an average of 8-10 hours a day the other days.

We did great for quality of fish, lots in the slot, biggest of the trip was 28.25 inches. The weather was cold, windy and snowy, at times it was brutal. This was my 8th straight spring up there and my usual hotspots werent very hot. We prolly tried 15 spots, different presentations and everything you could think of. Ultimately we caught 90% of our fish in 1 spot and 10% in another spot. Anchoring was not producing much, we slip drifted 90% most of the time. Fri we drifted the same spot all day and was by far our best day. If you found the fish STAY THERE! lol All and all a good trip, already looking forward to next year!

gloomiseye

Wow some real beauties!

vman11

Fished sturgeon from 8-3 today. Launched at Frontier and fished multiple spots up to Vidas.

Had one sturgeon on but didn't land him. Caught 2 world-class suckers and a 18" and 24" walleye on night crawler and frozen shiner globs.

Nice day on the water weather-wise, but it was slow overall. Saw 2 sturgeon caught all day, and one of them was around 30". Chatted with multiple groups at the landing and reports were similar, with most not catching any. One group had been there for 3 days and hadn't landed a sturgeon.

Water temp was 38-39 degrees.

hydro

Got back home tonight after fishing sturgeon Friday and Saturday. Caught walleyes, pike and a redhorse on Friday near Vidas, then Saturday hit the sturgeon just north of Baudette. Landed 8 total with a 60", 51", 43" and smaller fish. Saw lots of big fish come in.

full-711-32329-fbbannersturgeon800.jpg

DTro

Oh yeah!! Nice work Hydro