Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

Red River Fishing Reports

455 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Red River Fishing Reports Thread. If you are new to this thread and want the most current reports look to the upper right of this post and click on the highest number.

Be sure to share your fishing reports and river conditions as Ed Carlson did while he was with us. Feel free to ask questions on this topic as well.

This thread and your contribution to it is now a tribute to our friend Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson.

Fishing reports are very few and far between this year. Between the cold weather, high water at freeze up, and snow on the ice (and making access to and from the rivers tough), very few people have been out. I've usually fished a dozen or more times on the rivers by this time and I haven't set foot on one once this hard water season (and likely won't). So... I don't anticipate many reports coming in this thread.

Has anyone been down around Oxbow yet??? Ed, I've seen you down there quite a few times the last few years. Have you been there yet????

Nobody is really saying anything. I moved so im not on the river everyday now!!!

Nope...too crappy of ice there for me.

Brianlucky13. Have you been on the red in the F/M area lately. The Ice is really good where its good, and crappy or none existant where its bad.

To tell you the truth I havent!!! Maybe this weekend tho!! I havent heard any reports or anything at all for that matter about the river this winter.

I'll give you a few spots that everyone knows about tho. Where the Wild Rice River goes into the Red can hold a lot of fish!! I havent been down there since spring. Some days you can catch hundreds of goldeneyes and no walleyes then the next day catch a few walleyes and no goldeneyes!! I dont know if you can park on the street and walk 50 yards down to the river tho, cuz it might have a no tresspass sign there now????

Another spot is in Oxbow(south of fargo.) You can park at the golf course parking lot in walk down the hill. There is a dam down there so be carefull!!! Check the ice as you go out!!! Ive only caught walleyes and pike down there in the winter.

Another spot is right off 52nd ave in Fargo where the access is. There a few bends around there with trees in stuff like that. Try to use the inside corners and stay out of current. Havent caught a lot of fish in this area but its where I grew up and most my walleyes over 30 inches have came around there!!!

If you can find a deep hole(20-28 fow) with a nice bend by it I would fish that area. Trees help too. If it looks fishy its always worth a shot. If you dont catch anything move on to the next spot. River fish school up pretty good!!!

These are just general spots that most people no about!! The ice isnt good this year so be safe!!!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the info! We were all so thinking of fishing around the N. Fargo [PoorWordUsage] and MBJ park.

Last night we tryed up by 35th ave N. troll wood park just caught golden eye.

Ill let you know tomorrow how it goes, thanks again.

Ultra- careful! The ice is bad below the N Dam and it's bad again just to the N of Trollwood.

thanks for the help again. Tonight we got off work early and decided to fish off of 52nd Ave. S. in fargo. We drilled a lot of holes and ended up fishing straight across from the acces. we had 20 fow about 30 ft from shore. (had one line out there and missed two on it, both b4 dark) the next holes where in 15.5 fow about 20 ft from shore. (missed a couple and caught 2-3 goldeney's) moved towards shore another 10ft and sat in 11ft. caught & missed about 10 goldeneye. we had our house about 4ft closer towards shore and sat in 6.5 fow. with trees both up and down stream from us. the current up there and in the 11ft hole was almost non existant. There was 3 of us out there from about 3:30 to 7pm and no walleye. thought we maybe lucked into finding a good spot that was easy to fish smile thinking of heading down stream from there to the next bend, it looks promising. All in all it was awesome weather we fished outside the house most of the time & the goldeye offered up some excitement.

Glad to hear you caught some fish. Too bad no eyes tho!!!

So where you going next??? I would try where the wild rice goes into the red!! Most of the time you can find the eyes down there. Ive had better luck there early ice then late ice. The later in the year I try to stay close to the dams. Also after dark is always the best on the river!! And for some reason dead minnow work better for me then alive minnows.

Ill be going home for the weekend to fish either BP or ottertail.

Way too may snow cats running the river on the weekends around here. although they did make it nice to pull our house around on smile thanks for the tips and ill let you know how it goes next monday or tuesday night.

It looks like im going to Fargo this weekend!!! So I'll be hitting the red south of Fargo in some areas where Ive caught some fish in the past.

People have been catching walleyes and perch on Ottertail!!

Good Luck!!!

Just got done fishing the red!! Hit the oxbow dam for 2 hours. Marked 2 fish and had 1 bite and thats it. Fished 4-8 fow. Current was bad. Ice seemed to be good everywhere I went.

Then went farther north in town. Caught a ton of goldeneyes and thats it!!!

Gonna try North Fargo 2marow!!

BrianLucky13-

I fished the red on sunday with very similar results. I caught enough golden 'eyes to drive a guy nuts. How was the weekend fishing for you? I still haven't been able to locate any of the good 'eyes yet. I hope this rain won't wreck the ice conditions.

Are gold eyes similar to suckers?? Would they taste any good smoked?

Not at all. their meet is too soft to really make them worth smoking.

Brian. How was day 2 on the red? With all the rain I havn't made it back out.

Kingr.

You get out on the red this year on the ice?

Just got back from the cities. Fishing on the red sucked last weekend!!! Worst Ive ever done actually. Didnt even mark a fish in north fargo. Should have caught a couple walleyes down by oxbow but they didnt hit very hard.

The river is posted down where the wild rice runs into the red so that suckes. I wasnt gonna knock on a door at 9 oclock pm to see if I could walk down there.

I dont know what the rain has done to the ice now. Some of my best days on the red has been when water is on top of the ice later in the year but not this early. I would stay away from the dams for now tho!!!

GOOD Call. I'm going to check the ice by 52nd Ave S this late after noon. If its bad there ill probally try by oaks grove park in Moorhead. There was a lot of ice there.

For the past two weeks, we have pounded the 'eyes on the red. We have found em out in the current as well as in the tribs...last sunday we caught one 12.10 and friday we brought home 7 nice guys all were 16-20 inches......hopefully it will do nothing but get better!!!!

Ultra,

No I have not. Between running back and forth to Duluth checking on my house and the normal weekend "stuff" I've barely got out this winter. Not to mention venturing out on the River not knowing a thing about it is not a good idea in my book. When I have been out it's been around DL where I grew up

It's nice to see some people are getting on top of some 'eyes on the RR. Are you fishing in the FM area or farther North towards the Crookston, Thief River Falls area? The only 'eyes I've found around FM have been of the golden kind. Nothing to write home about, that's for sure.

Brian

Fished last night down by 52nd Ave S. again. the ice was good, over 12" yet. When i drilled the holes, the 3" of water on the ice ran down the holes. Caught golden eye one after another till 8:15pm.

Gotta Jig, Canadian walleye don't really count, lol. Congrats on the fish! You must be fishing North of Fargo, currently due to job specs, i am mostly concerned about finding eyes in the F/M area.

Ultralights, just north of where your fishing there is a creek that goes into the red. Might wanna give that a try. You have to park and walk about 150 yards tho.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

Here in Minnesota, water temps are in the low to mid 60’s and the Walleyes keep rollin’ in! Wind blown shorelines are giving up walleyes via leeches and crank-baits right along the weed line. Crawlers on a gold and/or orange spinner are producing fish out of the mud between 22 and 26 feet. Jigging has been tough this week with the strong winds, but the Mayflies have finally tapered off!!

Up on the Canadian side, bottom bouncing has been filling the live wells outside of monument bay between 24-28 feet.  Jigging near Skeet and Kennedy Islands have seen nice sized walleye and numerous perch. Great smallmouth action can currently be had in Tranquil channel and the mouth of Johnston passage. Muskie fishing is still sporadic with high 40” class fish being caught from shallow bottom bays or just outside of them. 

Fish of the Week:
      49" and 46" Muskie
      40" Pike
      At least 10 Walleye over 25" 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      I was wondering if and there is any good fishing in Hastings during the summertime lake Rebecca, lake Isabella, Vermilion River, or anywhere off the banks of the Mississippi? I haven't caught anything yet this year and I am itching to catch anything now. Just a fyi I just bank fish.

Thanks in advance!
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, water temperatures have dropped in the past few days due to the strong winds in the area, making boat control a challenge. Wind-blown shorelines have plenty of active fish between 4 and 14ft. Productive presentations include Rapalas and spinner rigs.  The Flats south of Flag Island have stayed consistent this week with a 30” walleye coming out on Saturday!

Muskie fishing is now open and underway in the Northwest Angle. With cooler water temps, fish location and activity has been sporadic. Walleye action off Gardener and Deepwater reefs continue to fill limits with gold and pink jigs being the hot colors in Canada this week. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from Sunset Lodge!!

Fishing is holding strong up in the Northwest Angle! Both the East and West side of Little Oak have been producing large amounts of Walleye and Sauger between 17 and 22ft, with the largest walleye coming out of Sunset Lodge being 29 inches. The flats on the South side of Flag Island (5-7ft) have been putting fish in the box. Spinners and Jigs in Orange and Black are this week’s hot colors. Sharp breaks on the west side of Flag have also been productive. Numerous slot fish coming from the South East side of Garden Island with water temps in the mid to high 60’s.

Our biggest Walleye coming out of Canada this week was a 29.5 inch pig. Jigging seems to be the most productive with gold or pink jigs from tranquil channel to Monkey Rock reef. Gardner Island also been hot up shallow on the South side with Orange and Gold jigs. 

Starting Saturday Muskie season is upon us and the fish are hungry! 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Greetings from the Northwest Angle!

With water temps reaching 67 degrees and steadily on the rise, Minnesota is producing fish close to the island at various depths all throughout the day, from shallow rocks to as deep as 26 feet. As long as you are confident in your approach, limits can be obtained on Spinner baits, Daredevils, jigs and spinners. 

It is a fun time to be fishing in Canada, with multiple fish over 20" our best results have been on jigs (orange and gold specifically) with a minnow. Rocky shorelines are producing great numbers of Smallmouths and we are starting to see weeds develop all over the Angle and islands. Just a reminder: Muskie season opens on June 17th!

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another fantastic week of fishing up in the Northwest Angle!

Two weeks into the Minnesota season an abundance of saugers are congregating around Little Oak, as well as other small islands near Crow Duck, making for an easy shore lunch spot while staying close to home. Jigging at 18-24 has produced the most fish but it isn’t too early to be pulling spinners.

On the Canadian side, walleyes are more dispersed but very plentiful on main lake points with current anywhere from 15-20 ft. of water, holes remain consistent.  Almost any method is producing fish, gold/yellow/orange jigs with a minnow seems to be the most popular.  The northern pike bite remains strong with many thirty plus fish being seen. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com

• flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      Greetings fishermen and women! Its great being back in the swing of things and better yet in the boat! Both the MN and Ontario season is now open and fishing has been great! Staffers here at Flag Island Resort have been busy getting ready for the upcoming summer months with some deep cleaning, window washing, grounds work and remodeling!

On the Minnesota side anglers have been catching nice saugers, walleyes and perch. Soon the crappies should be finding their way into the shallows around Angle Inlet and other small creeks and the walleyes have spawned out over the past couple of weeks. With the warmer temps that started out last week anglers were finding fish in shallower water between 5-17 feet now, with the cooler temps, rain and winds most of the fish have been pushed deeper into the 16-26 foot range. Points and reefs close to large land masses adjacent to sand and rubble have been hot locations. Anglers have found fish near Soldier’s, Little Oak, Oak Island and NW Point. The water surface temp has been in that 50-55 degree range. Right now it seems like everything is working from ¼ to 3/8 jigs to slow trolling with raps in the shallows as well as trolling spinners keeping on the move at 0.9 mph.

Over in Ontario, the walleye, sauger, crappie, perch and pike have been hungry. Perch and crappie should be spawning soon. Crappies are being caught around the 20 foot mark . Sandy bays and points have been best for the walleye and crappie bite while the perch are still caught in the rocks. Many pike have been caught in areas with current. There have been reports of a lot of smallmouth mixed in with the walleyes.  Jigging with a ¼-3/8 ounce jig has been the ticket and the water temp has been around 49-52 degrees.

We hope to see you up here soon!
      Until next week, good luck fishing!
      Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Cale Albers
      Flag Island Resort
      218-223-8011

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• gunner55
      I'm only 8-10 miles south of smurfy with the same experience on the lake. Mn Fishing Pros is a group of 4 guys who guide in the area & so is Jeff Sundin. Not sure what any of them have for experience on that lake but you might try to contact 1 of them to see if they have a opening that fits your time slot or they might even have some info on the lake that they are willing to share 
    • Wheres_Walter
      Headed up this weekend and next weekend.  WIll be fishing mostly Frazer.  Sounds like the hatch is on.  If anyone has been fishing walleye on frazer in the past few days, got any tips on depth?  Presentation?     Sounds like crawlers are the ticket right now.   Thanks
    • blue_healer_guy
      Boy, some people must just hate their life.
    • Hoey
      I recommend considering other lakes.  URL by the 4th is nearly void of walleye.  8 years or so ago, we did a two-family trip and only caught fresh water drum.  Star Trib Article
    • eyeguy 54
      http://www.startribune.com/monster-muskie-found-on-mille-lacs-exceeds-state-record/431203243/
    • 2thepointsetters
      I was honored to be part of the "Veterans on Lake Superior" trip again this year. Channel six did a nice story about the Veterans. They were a great group out on the water.   http://www.kbjr6.com/video?clipId=13445592&autostart=true
    • 2thepointsetters
          Barry is retired. I bought his boat and fished her unitl I got the 38'er. Team Crush is still using the old Whitewater.   Barry does work on my boat occasionally as the first mate.    
    • portageguy
      Motor use day or camping.  Pick up day before or day of, May1-September 30. Fill out permit at entrance and put in box when exiting or mail in.  October 1-April 30
    • BulldogInTC
      Hi Cliff -   Thanks for the update on the hatch.  Is this usually a bust for 2 weeks once the big hatches start?  Will be up the 30th-9th, but still excited since its the first time staying for a full week at the in-laws cabin.  Hoping to provide a few updates on the West Side through the week.
    • jiggin9
      Thanks for the info.  I searched before and after this thread for any old threads on this topic.  I got nothing before and this thread is the only one that pops up after.  I will keep looking online or stop at one of the big box stores.    Tight lines.