Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Joe

Park Rapids area Fishing Reports

Joe

A lot of great fishing reports and lake conditions follow. Enjoy. Please be sure to share your reports and give a little back if you are reading this report.

stretch

even though this is two weeks old i thought i would post this up.

i had a awesome weekend fishing up in park rapids this weekend. did a little fishing out on potato lake and caught two limits of walleyes no more than 50 yards off shore in front of our cabin in one nite. i really can't complain. as for the slush well it sucked. but when you get on the snowmobile trail it's not bad at all.

Jackfish41

Stretch, where's your cabin? My uncle has a cabin on the lake as well and we're going up this weekend to try some fishin. What depths were you having luck with?

galzk001@umn.edu

jigginjim

What is the best lake near osage?

stretch

oh it's a toss up. what will you be targeting. if walleyes then potato and big sand just to name a few. are you going to go ice fishing or open water fishing. jiggin you should send me a email and maybe i can help you out some more. tylerandrews_64@yahoo.com

on the bright side went out this weekend and caught some nice walleyes. one 28 1/4" and four 15-18" walleyes. cant complain.

Koepper08

Bluegills were hitting in 15' of water throughout the day. Crappies were few and far between but caught several nice ones between Fri. and Mon. morning. Anyone else hitting any crappies?

Fathom

Any reports on how this weather has affected the fishing? Curious as to how the action is in case I can get out this weekend.

leechmann

Not many people out. The snow is beating everyone up, Psychologically. It's been very cold since the snow, but warmer weather is on the way. I expect that with the nice weekend coming, there will be panfisherman everywhere.

PS; My son and his buddies ran up to LOW shark fishing and caught 14 fish, the 2 biggest were 39 inches.

winterwalleye

anyone fishing Itasca lately. coming up 21, 22 any reports on area lakes?Thanks

B K'S DAD

Straight

Big Mantrap

Any words from Mantrap? I have been up there every other weekend fishing since Memorial Day but I'm no expert. Been catching plenty of Northerns all over the lake but nothing too big (biggest was 30", most around 20")

SunneyeDay

There was a 50' (supposedly not that big according to another FM'er) in the PR Enterprise from opener...weekends have been busy out there since ski opener- I've been at the access twice and left to Spider because of the amount of boats out there...

stretch

Any more reports for the area? Heading to the cabin on potato and i am going to try my luck. Is everyone still using leeches and crawlers or have you switch to minnows? Thanks, stretch

stretch

well since i didn't get any reports on fishing for potato lake i still went out and had to work for a limit but it got done in one night.

SunneyeDay

Anyone get out this weekend around town? It was a really quiet weekend on the lake- I don't know if it was the weather or the holiday next week, but it seemed like there was not many on the water or even in town. Whitecaps all weekend- everyone wore lifejackets

Found some nice 2-4lb bass on friday evening. Saturday morn was a little wet and the bite seemed to be off- only rock bass were busy, but they were hammerin everything.

Seems like the sunfish are off the beds and putting some weight on, found em off the rocks in 12-16 fow. Caught a lot of nice 8-9ers for a fish fry, and got the first legit '10 out of the lake.

No walleye sightings- cranks, leeches, worms, and spoons-jigging, trolling, bobberin- nada.

BuckKiller

Ill be spending the week of the 18-25 at breezy point resort on straight lake. Anyone have any info on how the fishing has been?

Larry Kohler

Spent the first week of June at the same place fishing was slow,as the weather was very cold.Please send me a report as to how you did.

SunneyeDay

Woops... it definitely helps to read a whole post before commenting.

Fazerfish

There is a Breezy Point Resort on Straight lake also.

My family is staying there at the end of Aug.

Buck Killer - please post how you did when you get back. I know nothing about the lake and would like a heads up on what to expect.

Thanks

BuckKiller

There is a Breezy Point Resort on Straight lake also.

My family is staying there at the end of Aug.

Buck Killer - please post how you did when you get back. I know nothing about the lake and would like a heads up on what to expect.

Thanks

Yes, breezy point is located on the south side of the lake right next to the public access. Fishing was slower then average. Ended the week keeping 70-80 crappies between 9.5 and 12 inches, for our annual fish fry (most where caught a little farther south of the eagles nest [ask someone from where you are staying and they will tell you where it is] off the weedlines). Sunfish action was slow but did find some nicer ones (1/2-3/4 pound) on the far north side of the lake off "the point" not really sure how to descibe it any better. The northerns were tough, only found one small one but usually do very well trolling deep water (20 FOW). Only caught two 12 inch walleyes (both released) which was typical for us.

The water was a little on the cool side for this time of year, started the week at 65 degrees (10 degrees colder then two weeks prior) but ended a nice 73 degrees.

Where are you staying...breezy point?

Hope this helps

Fazerfish

Yea - Breezy point - we rented one of those new big cabins right off the beach. I can't wait..

I'll be fishing with my young kids the whole time which means panfish. Nice to hear that you caught that many crappies. Any special bait that I should bring up?

Thanks for the info.

BuckKiller

We always use jigs for our crappies the best bite we found was 6 am until about 8 am. You will also get a few towards dark.

Anything will work for the sunfish, depth seemed to be the most important (12-16 FOW). There are some big ones out there although no in high numbers in the 10 years we've been going I think I have 3 or 4 around a pound.

A good place to start would be just to the right as you come out of the channel there will be some small lilly pad type weeds (Perry referes to them as silver dollar weeds), fish off of those. I've never gone in August so things could be different, but Perry will point you in the right dirrection.

The cabins are very nice, you should be very comforable. Are you staying in cabin 3? Thats the closest to the beech.

Fazerfish

Yea cabin 3. looks like a nice beach, the kids could spend hours digging in the sand.

I suppose you were using crappie minnows?

I like any of those tough little plastic fake grubs you get out of a jar, they stay on the hook along time, and won't cast off, makes fishing with young kids easier.

BuckKiller

nope... not a fan of crappie minnows, we used twister tails for the crappies; leeches worked best for the sunfish.

And yes the beach is nice, its sand as far as you can walk out. Hopefully the water is warmer when you go smile. If not there is tons of other fun things they can do at the resort.

5and11raiders

Hey Buck or Fazer,

I am going to be up on Straight lake at StraightPines resort this weekend. Have you fished Straight lake recently? If so any advice or suggestions? I've done all right before on the point near the resort, but wondered if you guys had any luck any where else.

Thanks!