Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Rick

mille lacs
Mille Lacs Lake Fishing Reports

3,173 posts in this topic

Fished with a buddy today on the mud. Kept 7 perch, nothing smaller than 10". Lots of small perch down there. 10-15 tulibees between the two of us also. 2 small walleyes, and this kicker 25" right before we packed up.

1000693as7.jpg

BSG - nice pic! Thanks for sharin. What lures were u catchin all the tullibee on? waxies or minnow heads?? Headin up on Friday to chase'm. Prob on the flats somewhere.

Nice fish BSG. I was in 27 feet of water on the mud. Had the camera down saw tons of perch. Only managed to catch a few. Had one flag go up about 645. Put the camera back down in the morning and it was like the perch turned into walleye. Seemed like just as many and all our group managed to get was an 8lb eel pout. I thought for sure it would be a better bite but it was tough. Good signs to come though.

Spent Friday and Sat. on different mud flats and only managed 2 small walleyes. Sat. night had about 12 come in on vex. between 4:30-6:30, but could only get 1 to bite. Tough bite. All the walleyes I found were on the tops of flats, 23-25 fow. Watched them on camera come in, but wouldn't hit. Tried lots of different presentations.

Thanks Guys.....Tulibees came on rattlin flyers with minnow parts (heads,tails, bodies) for the most part, a few came on whole minnows with smaller jigs. For the most part it was slow for us also.... keep moving, pounding bottom and move and pound some more.

nice fish

Nice Eye BSG!

Good weekend out on Mille Lacs, these two walleyes were caught within 30 minutes of each other. The older guy is my father in-law, biggest eye he's ever caught (28inches) Mine was around 27 inches-very fat and healthy. The jumbos were going good again, ended up keeping around 20 that were from 11-13 inches. Fun weekend with the nice weather.

I'm not sure how to get the pics on here, but the link works.

walleyepics

Very nice fish Norsky!

I knew I should have went up Sunday tired

Nice job on the EYES Norsky!

So has the bite on Mille Lacs picked up? I have wanted to take a trip up there. where would a good place to start on the lake for walleyes? I would really appreciate it. KTapper21@gmail.com

Nice going Norsky!

thanks for the call brad. thats a nice fish. are you heading up there this weekend at all?

was up this past sat,started on blue jug didnt to to well.we ended up at 3 mile(out of nittis)started out bad but 2 hours before dark and with my camera i saw more walleyes than i have ever seen in my life.my buddy missed 3 and pulled in 1 17incher,it was crazy 3 or more at a time on my screen(not small either)was on a break line it went from 26 and gravel to 31 and silt.once it got to dark and couldnt use the camera it slowed up.

Fished the flats last weekend and caught a number of fish. On saturday ended up with a doz. jumbos, 6 walleyes, and some tulibees. We looked like a couple of Ioweagans out there with the shmorgasboard laying on the ice. We had a good time and steady but not fast action.

Schu,

When you caught the jumbos were you just off the flat or way off the flat? Minnow head or larve? Going up tonight to fish the Mud. Hoping for good things.

Me and a couple of buddies went up on Monday out of Agate Bay to a different buddies shack. Caught a couple of dink perch and a couple of dink eyes. Then about 11pm on Monday night we caught about a 5lb eelpout and about 8am on Tuesday morning we caught a fat 26in walleye. We missed a couple on the way up around the same time as the 26incher hit, so we didn't get a chance to see them, but they were pretty nice fish. The 26 was caught on a crappie minnow on a jig that my buddy was fishing for perch with. Driving off the ice on Tuesday was a little scary as there was a ton of water on the roads with no snow and it looked like we were driving on open water. Kinda an eerie feeling,.

Kiko-

I was looking for walleyes so I was using a buckshot jig with a minnow head and I was in about 28 fow. I marked a lot of fish on the vexilar but I am sure that they were smaller perch and walleyes. The bigger marks that did come in seemed to chase and bite. I was fishing right on the edge of the flat- had 24 feet about 10ft. behind me and 30ft. right out the door of my otter.

Good luck

My buddy and I just got back from the pond. We did pretty good. 17 perch, all 10"-12.5" from about 10am to 12:30pm. After that the bite slowed considerably. Genz bug and larva was the trick for me. Pound the bottom to stir things up then shake your jig and fish on. Yummy perchies for dinner tonight.

Biff,

Nice to see your avatar again! Care to share the general conditions you were in? depth and type of area, not specific flat or bar. I'm heading up Saturday am with my porty and 4x4 and going to explore but watching the reports to narrow the choices.

Good report, thanks!

I think the other picture was better.

I'm not sure about you but I wouldn't say no to either!!

(sorry honey, but she's on my list of 5)

Biff,

Care to share the general conditions you were in? depth and type of area, not specific flat or bar.

30'-32'. Sand to silt bottom. Remember to pound the jig and shake it to cause comotion. While walking on the ice you would break through the first inch and then hit all the water the rain left. Some places the water was ankle high making it hard to travel from hole to hole. Stay on the move! I would catch 2 keepers out of a hole then the dinks would move in. When they move in it is time to move!

Thanks Biff, will give a good try!

was up on thur and there was alot of spots where there was over 1 foot of water.it limited where you could go by the time i left most of it was frooze over.shouldnt have any problem going any place on the lake(hardly any snow left)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      I know the lakes are open and that means some the first open water fishing spots are producing. Any one out there catching em yet? I will be riggin the ultra light up today so I can stop on my way home from work.  
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

The snow pack has diminished and snowmobile trails on the the lake are icy. The forecast for this week is great for extending our ice fishing season.

On the Minnesota side, the number of perch have greatly increased with many 14 inchers being caught. Good sized saugers are being seen as well. The dead stick is still productive, rattlers and spoons used as attracting method in the sand or mud off of the rock structure.

Canadian fishing has been consistent, limits of crappies are being caught in 30-33ft with fine plastics that wiggle. Walleyes can be had easily near rock structure in 22-26 feet.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      3.6.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Mid-week we are expecting temperatures in the teens and a few inches of snow which should help extend the hard water season!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up. The morning bite is strong up until the noon hour and picks back up again around 4pm. With the longer days, the evening bite is a little more consistent. Black and gold as well as pink and white have continued to produce the most fish. We are fishing more rock piles than in February and are having good luck at depths between 22 and 24 ft.

On the Canadian side, holes between 28 and 30 feet are a solid bet for crappies. Blue and white tungsten with a red mustache worm or wax worm have been very productive. We are seeing a lot more perch in our catch.

Still a couple weeks of great fishing left, come join us!

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.27.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

Ice conditions are still favorable with 20-24 inches of solid ice in non-current areas. Snow cover is minimal on snowmobile trails but are still being groomed and in good condition.

On the Minnesota side, we are seeing walleyes being caught  on shallower rock points between 20-24 feet as well as deeper mud between 28-30 feet. A good number of saugers and perch are also being produced. Black and gold have been performing very well using a variety of baits.

Canada is still producing but the crappie bite has been hot and cold within the last week. Walleyes are are most active on rock humps with successful colors being, blue and white, pink and gold.

Until next week!

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.20.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

We still have lots of ice up here, however the snow pack is diminishing rapidly, especially with the warm temps and rain in the forecast.

On the Minnesota side, fishing away from structure seems to be most productive with target depth being from 22-30 feet. Gold continues to be the hot color. The amount of perch we are seeing in our buckets continues to increase.

Fishermen on the Canadian side are still reaching their crappie limit with ease, fishing holes between 29 and 35 ft. A variety of baits are producing including, wax worms, mustache baits and dead minnows.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      2.13.17 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report

Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, fishing has really picked up this week! The ice is thick and temps are nice, making for a much more pleasurable hard-water experience. Less turbidity has really allowed for more natural colors to work. Using the dead stick is still producing the most fish with depths under a foot off of the bottom. Lots fish in the slot, as well as, multiple over 28!

On the Canadian side, walleyes are being caught in transition zones, with gold and pink and whites being the hot colors. The crappie bite is at 30ft plus in the mud with Tungstens topped with plastic. Jigging spoons with a minnow head are also producing fish.

Until next week,

Sunset Lodge Ice Team

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye!

On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too!

On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head.

This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report.

We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Another week has come and gone up here at the Angle. The weather sure changed for us up here. The week started with below zero temps and we ended the week in the 30's with some rain mixed in. It still didn't affect the fishing, as houses produced their limits of fish once again including a 31", 11 pound walleye!

On the Minnesota side, we still have our houses scattered all around in 22-28 feet of water. Gold, pink and green were the best, tipped with a minnow or minnow head. We have had perch and saugers mixed in with all the walleyes, too!

On the Canadian side, the crappie and walleye bite has been very good! Crappies have been in 28-33 feet of water. Only fish to your limit and then switch to another species’ for the rest of the day. Walleyes have been great in 22-29 feet, using the same colors as the Minnesota side, tipped with a minnow or minnow head.

This is Forrest Huset with another fishing report.

We hope to see you all at Sunset Lodge this winter!

• tacklejunkie
      With warmer weather coming hopefully so will the reports.   I've been watching the bay and it seems like things are breaking up out there so I'm anticipating getting out in the next two weeks on the big lake.   Boat is ready. Just need a place to launch. Anybody been to McQuade the last few days?
    • ZachD
      I thought Archery is not restricted correct me if I am wrong   Licenses for the Spring Turkey Hunts are awarded in a computerized preference drawing for the A-B time periods. C-F time period licenses can be purchased over the counter in mid-March. Turkey hunters, other than licensed archery hunters and youth are restricted to the WILD TURKEY PERMIT AREA and TIME PERIOD selected at time of purchase
    • trebormorgan
      That wasn't the size of lake I expected to be safe, but still.    500 ft from shore and they got a ladder to him?  Well, I'm glad he made it out safe.  Either way, thanks to the man above looking after.    I'm surprised the media didn't blow this one out of proportion.  
    • ZachD
      The only reason they allow you to have a gun while archery hunting deer is if you have a ccw. They did this because if they didn't it would impede on your rights to carry.   Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.   You are correct, your friend is not. Even having both licenses, a person can't have both weapons with them at the same time. That person would need to choose which weapon and license to use, can’t do both hunts with both weapons at the same time.   Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions either by email or by calling 888-646-6367 M-F 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and on Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
    • Rick G
      Last ice fishing trip for the year today