Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
RuKiddingMe

Doesn't it just make you sick...

mnwild

They should never be able to fish again.

Bad story, and as usual from the Trib, poor reporting.

Were they netted? speared? hook-n-line? purchased from a netter? did they have gear in the car?

Autumnhunt

Makes me wanna cry. What were these people thinking, selfish b****rds!

Crapp-eye

I find it hard to believe that these people will get to fish next to you and I in only 3 years. Seems to me that one should never be allowed to fish again after grossly breaking the law like that. These people don't care and they never will.

Does anyone know if these fish were local to the cities or from somewhere in out-state Minnesota?

JohnMickish

Not to start this up all over agian, but did anybody catch the names of these guys? The Fargo Forum posted them. Any guesses?

------------------
It still beats workin'

irishjigs

Here is the article of the same instance in the Pioneer Press, it should answer all questions...

LINO LAKES: Traffic stop uncovers fishing violation

A traffic stop on Interstate 35W in Lino Lakes and a fishy smell led to the discovery of 117 walleyes in a car trunk, authorities said Friday.

"The vehicle had been stopped for speeding when the officer noticed the strong odor of fish," said Anoka conservation officer Travis Muyres. "We later counted 117 walleye in the trunk."

The car's occupants told authorities they caught the walleyes in the St. Louis River in Duluth, Minn.

Charged with gross misdemeanor overlimit in Anoka County were Bunchan Srey, 51; Dymong Chhoun, 20; Bunsean Lieng, 19; Samnang Pich, 19; and a juvenile, all from Minneapolis.

The men should have had no more than 10 St. Louis River walleyes in the vehicle, police said.

Officers obtained a search warrant for the home of three of the suspects and found 305 sunfish, which is 145 over the limit.

The adults face fines of up to $3,000 each and one year in jail. The adults have a June court date. The juvenile pleaded guilty to gross misdemeanor overlimit, but was not ordered to pay restitution.

Charges for the illegal sunfish were pending in Hennepin County.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
— Associated Press

mistermom

There is a thread on this in the outdoor political power forum too. The thread is titled poaching or something li8ke that.

mm

hanson

Another thread in the Open Water Forum

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum43/HTML/002043.html

I don't see how this story is bad reporting. 97 walleyes is over your limit no matter how you look at it. Probably should have been on Sunday's front page. That would have made a lot more people stand up and take notice.

Whiskeywalleyes

Well, this is something you always here rumors of but never actually get to hear the real story from the horses mouth. "the DNR.
Lets take our hats off the dnr officer for this one... I love these stories,
make me appriciate permits, licences, regulations, fees, and taxes. For some of us legal-law obiding people, you can't believe that someone disrespects our envirnment as much as this.

We as in legal-law-biding citizens do live in a counrty that have the ability of "freedom of speech." and the rich do find ways in the system to manipulate the rules..
In order to get a fishing licence I think we should change it. there is no laws that prevent change??
1. You must have at least a high school diploma, valid copy, and be able to read any two pages out of the book to prevent memorization; once this is satifyed your have satifyied a simple added rule.

Cheers & Fish within the Law.

[This message has been edited by Whiskeywalleyes (edited 05-25-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-25-2004).]

Whiskeywalleyes

You know this article reminds me of an run-in i had last year on the mississippi..

in August of last year I was in a friends boat down from the damb located just north I think of hager City, WI I didn't even think to call the DNR.. didn't even dawn upon me.. i will now. but, this is another locations these people operate there normal daily activities.
about 50 feet below the damb on the minnesota side i noticed this guy with a rather long net along with his 5 younger teenagers, similar to those muskie nets except it was about 50' long. anyways, I noticed him just hawling in the fish, I figured it was carp or sheepshead and really didn't care much, but after about 50-60 fish I yelled at him. I figured that maybe there catching dead fish or whatever..

anyways latter on they piled into some beachcomber rafted and took off.. on the way back we latter saw the boat upshore and there they were living.. clothes hangers out wives, preparing the food, campfire going, and a perminate leento, looks like they had been there all summer.

Maybe someone know the area and can keep an eye out, to call the DNR, once again this happened last year in August, so lets all keep an eye out, Maybe these guys are the ones that got caught??

wall-i-king

Whiskey
In Europe that is kind of what they do to be able to get a lisence except that, at least in Germany, they have to go to I think 3 months of classes and then take a test before they are able to fish legally. Perhaps a modified version of this would keep these things from happening again.

Well obviously something needs to be done and all of you can do your part by watching out for it and calling TIP if you see something going on that shouldn't be.

Keep Fishin'
wall-i-king

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 05-25-2004).]

JohnMickish

I would just like to see penalties stiff enough so that NO ONE would break them. Let's pretend the state set a $1000 per illegal fish (that would include anything under/over the slot), if they did that how many people that you know would even THINK of breaking the law.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
It still beats workin'

crownironman

I heard the 117 walleyes were taken from the St. Louis river.

fish&taters

The politcally correct Star Trib version. I hate that paper.....

Whiskeywalleyes

$$ stiffer fines wouldn't change much, you can't get $$ out of stones. It just bothers me.. possiblely 1 year
in the pen per fish, it would make em think, and that still costs the tax payers. Who knows, silver bullet & a cig? I go out and spend 8 hours on the water and get skunked, not very often;but it happens to all fishermen, but looking up the ass of a dead dog with flees I bet the likelyhood of repeat offense it in there future. Just imagine the effects of this. also I bet if this was three white guys and a grandapa, this would be national news, but it's just accepted in here. This case should be followed by the national media more so than the flippen O.J. trials..

[This message has been edited by Whiskeywalleyes (edited 05-26-2004).]

walleyehawk

I agree about the Star Tribune. If the occupants of the vehicle were not Asian, I'll bet they would have printed the names just like the Pioneer Press. And yes, the names were Asian in the Pioneer Press article.

Does not mean that they are more likely to poach. Anyone can poach. I just don't think we should bury the information.

If any group wants lots of fish, I am personally willing to give them my rough fish. Set up a carp bucket. We had those in a state I lived in before Minnesota, and they did not stand empty long. And the meat went to a good use, and we got the rough fish out of the river and lake.

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 05-26-2004).]

ilikepike

If the Star Trib does not name a suspect in a crime story, the perpetrator is ALWAYS a member of a "diverse culture." They think they are being sneaky by leaving this information out but in fact it just makes it more obvious.

In the interest of helping diverse populations become familiar with our fishing laws, I never hesitate to give a friendly call to the TIP line so a CO can provide them with personal attention.

Yes, poachers like this makes me sick and mad because it makes other asians look bad. In case you were wondering though, they're LAO's which is another form of asian. Laos to asian is like French Canadians is to Canadian's. Still makes me sick though because its just wrong.

Oh well, another poacher bites the dust!!

Whiskeywalleyes

I wonder if the guy who shot some hunters in Wisconsin & these fish poachers in this post are related.. We ot to keep a list of these freaks and updated it as time passes us by and keep adding to it as more of these people disrespect us hunters, fisherman and sportsman.

You never know a list like this could be important some day for us sportsman if one of us out there ever has any political power with the dnr to put and end to these people ever hunting or fishing in the futeure of there lives.

[Note from BDR:let's not single out one race. Your list would go on forever if you include all violators.

These are two very different issues]