• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye fishing on Minnetonka

Anchor man,
I will post the report in the morning.

To bad you weren't going to make it out there tonight (Good walleye chop...hehe!).

I Would like to meet a few of you FM's. We all have the same interest and believe we could benefit each other in our outdoor adventures. Maybe next time. Let me know when your going next. I have alot of friends that like to fish, it's just that there not quite as "sick" as I and most of us when it comes to time on the water. I will have my Brother in Law in the boat tonight, but he is ready to go home in 1-2 hours on the lake...bummer.

I have high hopes on the flat tonight and hope your's and my last experience on Browns Bay flat doesn't hold true this eve.

I will be all over in that Browns/Wayzata Bay area.
With the heat I just may make a stop at the local watering hole also (Fletchers)

Rip Some Lips!

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Autumnhunt

• wmn luv me walleye fearme

• buzzsaw

• Mr Special

Anyone going to Tonka tonight? I should be there at Gray's bay access at about 6 this evening. Plan on fishing Brown's Bay mid lake flat and the Big Island points/weedlines.

(Party of two-three-- 2003 Blue/Gold Crestliner Sportfish w/ 115 HP Yamaha-4 stroke)

Give me a hollar and let's share some tips and rip some lips!

Wow, what a nice night to be on the lake after the wind subsided!

One rock bass and two nice walleye, lost two nice fish also.
All fish were caught on Browns Bay. Fished until 11:00 last night. No fish were caught after dark. The best action was around 9-9:30.

Night Crawlers on floating Lindy's seemed to be the ticket in 18-20 ft of water just off the breaks on a rather quick drift.

I think I just may go back tonight smile.gif

Good Luck!

Good deal glad to hear your getting on some fish. I'll have to taek lesson form ya in a 2nd here. Sounds like you're really starting to know the lake. Just goes to show that time and effort will be rewarded. I'm sure you know where the big milfoil patch on Wazayta is, the one in front of the Waterworks beach in the middle of the bay. I've picked up almost every species on the edge of that patch. Oh, watch out for the big muskies that like to hang around there too.

Keep up the good work,
Kick butt and take names

Mr. Special,
Time on the lake does pay as I really learned the structure and the behaver of the lake. Every lake has a different attitude and I find you need to make adjustments from lake to lake, some lakes are not so particular, but some are, and Tonka is one of those lakes you just have to figure out before success comes your way.
I was beginning to wonder if the lake still had walleyes in it with the slow start to the season!

Just move around and find the fish is what I found, don't wait for them to come to you and try many presentations cause you might be there awhile otherwise--skunked.

I know of the milfoil spot your taking about. Seems like a great spot with the fast break right off the edges. Tried it last night for a bit and moved on. I'm sure it can be pretty productive at times. (Should cast a couple Giant Jackpots or some bucktails in there!) May try it again tonight, but I know exacly were I'm going first tonight--Browns Bay.

Thanks,

Autumnhunt

Autumhunt,
Giant Jackpot is a grat way to go. I just got tried of throwing those huge lure. But that very steep drop is exactly what I'm talking about.

Good Luck

Mr. Special,
Stopped by the (Boatworks) area last night and did pretty well. We picked up a couple there, including a 6 lb 6oz pig. All fish were caught just before the storm hit (8-9:30) Lost a few nice ones including one instant bite off--possibly a big Pike? Horse Shoe Reef-Browns bay produced the 6 lb'er.

It was a really slow start, then the action really picked up just before dark.

Nightcrawlers/leeches on floating Lindy's just off the milfoil weed line.

22 ft of water seemed to produce most action.

Good Luck,

AH.

Good Stuff, now I'm jealous. We'll have to meet up sometime and trade spots. Do you bass fish at all. Cause as the weather warms the wallys slow down and the bass, northerns, and muskies heat up.

Till then Good luck

Is the big milfoil patch that you guys are talking about the one thats by the boat launch (the one ramp launch on the north side of wayzata bay) If thats what your talking about i've fished it with good success on pike and bass but never any luck with the walleyes. Theres a lot of good spots out in wayzata bay but unfortunately it seems most of them have to be fished at night or in bad weather when the rec boats die down a little so I;m going to start trying to fish more at night and dusk and see if that improves my luck

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

Yes, In a month or so I will SLOWLY make my transition to other species. I am just having to much fun right now and a definate lack of sleep from the late night excursions to Tonka. (ZZZZZZZZZZZ)

The tips and tricks that were shared on this forum from you and others really helped me fiqure this lake out, so yes, no problem--we can trade places. cool.gif

I love to Bass fish-top water action, including muskies! As you may know by now walleye is my true passion, but, Let's give it a go later in the season as the walleye bite slows.

Right now walleyes are really starting to pick up.... It's been a nice substitute to what I can expect on the weekends at the lake home. unforchantly, I live and work here in the cities, so it's nice to find action during the weekday blues.

I may go back out Thursday night. I would like to go back out tonight, but I need to get caught up on rest. Let me know if your intesrested.... or possibly later in the season?

AH.

Autumnhunt,
Thanks for the invite, but I'll have to pass this time. I've already made plans to go after cats. Which is my first love. I'm a riverrat so I have to get back to a river before I start smell all nice and fresh. But yes we'll have to go out sometimes.

Good luck

Wmn Luv Me,
Yes, I think there may be a small acess spot next to the fishing deck, but this location is right out front of the old boatworks building/Beach, just on the outside edges of the bouys in the middle of the bay.

Good Luck,

AH

Autumnhunt,

I have really enjoyed reading your entries throughout this post. I fished Minnetonka quite a bit late last summer and had some success with the walleyes. I have only been out once this spring and pretty much got blown off the lake that day. Anyway, I was thinking about heading out really early tomorrow morning, have you had any luck fishing the early mornings or just the evening bite. Also, any colors on the floating Lindy's that seem to be more effective than the others? Thanks.

Minnesota River-Black Dog Rd and 35 W has some of the best Cat fishing I've experienced, Big ol' cats! Give that a try sometime if you haven't already.

We'll have to hook up later in the season, let me know when your ready.

Have a great time and good luck,

AH

I have a picture of a cat I caught right at 35W and black dog if one of the pro staff can help me get it on here.

I totally agree Autumn...I only fished that spot once (last July 4 because ALL the local lakes were full for launching my boat), and it was a blast. Caught close to a dozen of them. (wouldn't dare keep those fish though, the water looks awful)

Mont,
I 'm glad you been reading from this thread. I hope it helps others as it helped me. I maybe a little late getting this to you, but green, green,green,is the awnser to your question.Work the deep drop offs and weedlines in 20-22 ft of water. Wayzata/Browns Bay. I have only tried the evening hours since I start work early in the mornings and fish out of the cities during the weekends.

Right before dark has worked best for me,but I'm sure there has to be a good early morming bite. Let us know how you did--Good luck and Rip some lips!

AH

Fished Wayzata bay on Tuesday night before the storm. Jig and a leech. Missed a couple of nice Walleyes. Caught a nice pike. The Blugills would not leave my leech alone. Even in 22ft of water the bluegills were on attack. My graph looked like snakes from Raiders of the Lost Ark(sonar was picking up the school of gills). To bad that 6" is probably the largest gill out there. There are to ways that I have had success on Tonka for Walleye. First, is what they all say. Weedline, Weedline, Weedline..... Second, the bottom lip of the drop-off on the Big Water, could be as deep as 35-45 ft. I spent some time in the deeper water on Tuesday too. I was marking all kinds of bait fish with larger fish surounding the bait fish in 43 ft of water. Sorry to report no bites there. (Near Excelsior Bay). I haven't fished Tonka since two weeks before. Did not seem like it was picking up. Autumn Hunt what do you think? Is the bite picking up or what? I should be out this weekend.

Reefdawg

Reefdawg,

The bite is definatly picking up! I
will be out there tonight around 6 or so grin.gif .

I have beed told not to shy away from 50 ft of water for walleye as the water gets warmer. July/Aug.

May have to make some changes as
the transition takes place.......

Sounds like you had some fun!

Good luck this weekend Reef,

AH

montanagriz,

A bit off-topic, but are you a U of MT grad.

I was there in the early 90's - Forestry.

Pete

Montanagriz,

Thanks for the report!
Sound like you had fun in the wind\rain anyways! I was so close to going last night until the rain started coming down hard-- so I passed. Didn't make it out last night, but should go out on Monday after my weekend fishing trip to the Alexandria area. grin.gif

Crawlers have worked well for me, but need to give them a good 2-3 second count with a open bail to get a good hook set and not just loosing half your crawler.
I will leave my bail open on a troll while holding the line between my forefinger/rod handle and as soon as I feel that tap or tention, let the line go and count, 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand ,3 set the bail and let her have it! This happened many times to me as well (loosing half the crawler) and just took on a different approach to get them suckers to hold on.

Give that a try if you haven't already, it worked we'll for me and you even get those little buggers such as sunnies and perch that would most likey not get hooked otherwise.

I've noticed the same, the walleye definatly have gone deeper week to week. I remember a week or two ago the action was in 15 ft or so.

Winds 10-15 MPH are perfect for the walleye action on Tonka, but anymore than that boat control is tuff and very little success!

I hope next time you'll have better luck and less wind.

Have a great weekend,

AH

Went out from 10 - 2 today. I started with a lindy/leach, trying for walleyes and didn't have any luck. The wind got tough so boat control was an issue. After a while I drifted and noticed schools of baitfish surrounded by bigger fish so I started casting and got on a fairly nice pike bite! I landed one 2.5 lber had abouta 4 and a 6 come off at boatside and also had about 3 more fish jump out of the water at boatside after my lures. I got my hits on big spinners, in-line spinners, and a giant swimbait (crappie colored). All of this action took place around a windward point off an island in the upper west lake. Hope someone finds this useful.

Fished Wayzata and Gray's bay last night from 7-10 pm. It was an absolute hurricane out there and almost impossible to fish. Picked up one northern and had several nice bites that took off half my crawler. The bites seemed to be in deeper water, 22+ It would sure be nice to be able to fish without all that wind. Both times I have been out there this year I have been practically blown off the lake. Oh well, we'll just have to give it try again next week.

Failin'OnPhalen,

I graduated from Montana with a Business - Information Systems degree in the spring of 2003 but I played basketball for the Grizzlies for 5 years (redshirted my freshman year), so I did some graduate work this past year. Anyway, I am back in Minnesota now. There really are a lot of Grizzly alumni from MN, I met quite a few kids out there from the Twin Cities area. Go Griz!

Autumnhunt,

I was surprised I wasn't hooking the walleyes, I was actually giving them a 7 or 8 second count and still getting bitten half off. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to switch to a crawler harness or at least have one hook trailing. I guess we'll have to wait and see, I won't be able to make it back out until Thursday. Hope you slaughtered them this weekend in Alex!

I went to the U of Montana...Lived in Missoula for a while and I also lived in Big Sky, MT

Was out Sunday a.m., fishing muskies. You guys may be fishing under these walleyes? Caught a fat, fat 25"er which weighed 5.9lbs on the digital scale. She ate an 8" Bulldawg fished in 20 ft. of water about 3 ft. down. Windward side, deep edge a couple of long casts off a weedline. About 8:30 a.m., bright and sunny. Clear water. No muskies caught, but raised six and had two bites, one almost in the net.

BrianF.
Twin Cities

I was out last night about 8-10:30, fished in Wayzata bay. Trolled for the first hour with a little joe spinners on the weed line caught 2 pretty decent pike. After that switched over to the lindy going for walleyes, fished a hump that I had done well in the winter, and as usual caught nothing. Every year I tell myself this year I'm just going to go after pike and bass, easier to catch, better fight, but every year I get sucked back into trying for walleyes and seem to do terrible unless I'm out of the metro. (obviously the name's a joke)
I'll be out there most of the morning on wednesday (got the day off since I have to work saturday) but this time if I catch a walleye it will be by accident

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

[This message has been edited by wmn luv me walleye fearme (edited 06-14-2004).]

BrianF is on to something - I was throwing bucktails for muskies and caught a nice walleye on Friday. Was burning them over the weeds. Lots of northerns in the 2 to 4lb range but not one musky showed up.

Hey Walleye fear me, your funny!! I was out this past Saturday the 12th and started in Wayzata bay off the bouy's in 20-22 ft and as usual I scared ALL of the Walleyes away! I had zero luck for walleyes but we caught some Ok largemouth bass, one smallmouth and a rock bass... a dozen cagey northerns.... Where are the walleyes?? I was jigging mainly with a leech and did some long lining..

Mike

I saw about a 30" Walleye floating dead in Wayzata bay yesterday.

Not Good.

I don't like hearing about floating 30" walleyes or any other fish for that matter. I just hope the thing died of old age and not some *****'s mishandling!