• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

worm beds

i was wonderin if any one could explain exactly how to make a worm bed in your yard so when it rains the go up in to it

First take your parent's 300-count sheets, lay them on the grass with their nice comforter, soak it with the hose and the worms will come. Maybe put their sleep number bed in the front yard as well - most worms like a sleep number from 35-60.

fishkid,

just run your hose intil they come out of the ground. It takes a couple of minutes but they do come if they are there!

Not sure about in your yard. But if you have a garden, or somewhere the soil has just been turned and lose they seem to like it and will be easier to pull out.

Good luck

Here's a trick that my grandpa taught me years ago,that still works today.

After you douse your lawn with the water hose,make this simple tool.

Cut 1/4 inch deep saw kerf's at 1/2 inch intervals along one side of a 2x2 stake about 30 inches long.Make a point at one end and drive the stake about a foot into the ground.Rub another stick,such as a piece of broom handle,rapidly up and down across the cuts.The vibration draws the worms to the surface.

Hope this helps.

CM

Whats wrong with good old nightcrawler huntin.Go out a couple hours after dark when it has rained to a spot with good dark soil and them big crawlers will be out.If you have never done this before let me know and I will help ya.I was out last night and pick up about four dozen.Then I keep them in bedding out in the garage fridge.

We have had beds in out back yard but you need to be in the right area.We would wet an area the size of tarp,cover the ground with it and weight it down you need a thick enough tarp to block any light or use 2-3 tarps.Let it set atleast a night b4 you expect to see any worm there.Most likely you will get mostly worm not big crawlers doing this.****getting out at night is the olny way to go to get them big crawlers.

does anyone have some good ideas for a worm trap? i would like plans to build one. sorry fishkid. im just intresed in the same topic as you.

Hey,
I don't have a very big worm box(only 1x2) and I really like it because its styrophom. I was wondering if someone could post some plans for me for a wood box (tell if its ok to get treated wood or a certain type of wood) or where is a good place to get a big styrophom box. (i only have 50 worms but im extending)

P.S. what is a good type of bedding.

First for worm gathering

go out after dark either after a rain storm or after you have turned on the water sprinkler.Cover your flashlight with something red. Have your bucket ready I use ice cream pail. Go in the yard where there is some bare soil or thin grass. they will just be lying on top of the grass. They are really quick but you will fill your bucket quick. I have also gone to big parking lots near parks early in the morning weel before the sun comes up after it has rained and done well to.

For storing your worms there are many different types of worm boxes and bedding. Go to local bait or sporting goods place and ask. I have also used google search engine for great info on this.
Well good luck I went out the other night after the rain storm and gathered about 6Dz in no time luv those big fat ones. grin.gif

Rip Lips